S3 Rear end drag...

Pino

Reaction score
So my S3 has started to drag the rear wheels and done so quite spectacularly, this weekend while it was raining, which was great fun until I realised what was happening to the diff.

On slow speed turns she scrambles for grip and there is a terrible sound and vibration from the rear. Quietens down on the straights at speed but I can feel the rear not being compliant.

I had a new filter and oil anyway as I was planning to service the haldex. So I will do that before any more millage is put on. Also going to get the car plugged in for a diagnostic before getting the credit card out...

Let's see if I can slove this one!
IMG 20141009 193805

Sounds like the Haldex playing up, alot of us have had this problem, if you are lucky an oil and filter change should sort it, but if not, it could be a number of things, worth looking at the earth strap under the car, as this can break, if this is ok, then try removing the fuse and see if its any better.

If you do a search you will find quite alot of info about this on here.

Reactions: Pino
Thanks for the advice buddy.
I changed the oil and filter today and all seems to be well in the world so I think I may have been lucky! I could not find the earth strap mind you. There was an empty hole in the diff cover where I take it the earth should be but also could not track the mounting location on the body either!

Anyway, the service seems to have done the trick for now :)

Reactions: Vex182