Facelift S3 S-tronic 1st-2nd gear jerk

Rolly12

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar to what I am? It normally happens when the car is warm and I’ve switched off the ignition and then turn it back on, immediately put it into dynamic and move the gear lever over to the left for manual mode. When changing from 1st to 2nd for the first time over 3k revs (not necessarily aggressive acceleration ) I get a very aggressive jerk forward with what can only be described as a loud thud? It doesn’t happen all the time but it is fairly common.

Had my car in at Audi for a service and asked if they could take a look at it. They had it out twice (once with a normal tech and then the master tech) and also compared it with another S3 and the master tech says he can feel it between 1st to 2nd AND 2nd to 3rd and that it’s a characteristic of the s-tronic box. I’ve never experienced it from 2nd to 3rd and certainly wouldn’t say it feels like something that should be a characteristic...

Any thoughts or experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar to what I am? It normally happens when the car is warm and I’ve switched off the ignition and then turn it back on, immediately put it into dynamic and move the gear lever over to the left for manual mode. When changing from 1st to 2nd for the first time over 3k revs (not necessarily aggressive acceleration ) I get a very aggressive jerk forward with what can only be described as a loud thud? It doesn’t happen all the time but it is fairly common.

Had my car in at Audi for a service and asked if they could take a look at it. They had it out twice (once with a normal tech and then the master tech) and also compared it with another S3 and the master tech says he can feel it between 1st to 2nd AND 2nd to 3rd and that it’s a characteristic of the s-tronic box. I’ve never experienced it from 2nd to 3rd and certainly wouldn’t say it feels like something that should be a characteristic...

yeah i get this, hasnt really worried me as it ONLY ever happens in that circumstance, you can nearly make it happen on demand.

Reactions: Nics, Chris S 1245, GW1 and 1 other person
I had my a3 remapped and it made gear changes jerky. Had remap removed and car went back to smooth..

With VCDS (vagcom) change the following :

44 - adaptions

Driver switch over profile

Original - incremental

Now - direct

will smooth out the changes perfectly
My facelift S3 running JB4, decat, intake, exhaust, intercooler ..... smooth as eggs on the gear change

I think my 8V ‘67 S3 is doing this, although the revs don’t need to be as high as 3k, in fact tends to happen to when I pull away slowly. It’s like the box slips from first into neutral for a second or two and then an almighty thud as it catches second gear.

Did you ever get it fixed? I’ve not been able to make it happen on demand! Booked into a dealer but I worry they won’t see it happening.

Reactions: kolash
Sounds somewhat similar to what I experienced here. Mine still does it once in a while (rarely though). It's both in D and S it does it and the only pattern I know for sure is that it will only happen at the first gear change after the car has been switched on. When the car has gone from 1st to 2nd once I can't replicate it.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-gearbox-issue-bogs-down-during-acceleration.365195/

Yes now you mention just after it has switched on only on the first gear change from 1st to 2nd, but not every time I start the car. Only if I pull off slowly it seems. I’ll see if I can catch it on film, mine sounds much louder than the video on your thread.

Yes now you mention just after it has switched on only on the first gear change from 1st to 2nd, but not every time I start the car. Only if I pull off slowly it seems. I’ll see if I can catch it on film, mine sounds much louder than the video on your thread.

Try to take a look at the comments in my YouTube video. The Driven Life (Lee) has had the problem solved with a software update of the gearbox, it’s on his channel somewhere where he talked about it, I think it’s was in a video where he talks about the good and the bad things of his FL S3. His car does it in the video during a launch control.

I will get mine booked in this winter to fix some issues where this is one of them. I really hope I can replicate it when the mechanic sits next to me in the car. I have shown them the video but as long as they can’t see it with their own eyes it’s nothing obviously :blahblah1:

Try to take a look at the comments in my YouTube video. The Driven Life (Lee) has had the problem solved with a software update of the gearbox, it’s on his channel somewhere where he talked about it, I think it’s was in a video where he talks about the good and the bad things of his FL S3. His car does it in the video during a launch control.

I will get mine booked in this winter to fix some issues where this is one of them. I really hope I can replicate it when the mechanic sits next to me in the car. I have shown them the video but as long as they can’t see it with their own eyes it’s nothing obviously :blahblah1:

:grinning:I’ll check out the comments. Mine is booked in for 3rd Sep, I’ll report back after that!

I had my engine remap removed and original map put back back on and it solved my issue. The dsg box needs to be mapped to suit an engine remap. A software update on the box should sort your issues out

Just been out with the Technician for a test run and I could get the car to do it! I left it with them anyway and they said they’d check the software. Fingers crossed they don’t charge me!