S3 Saloon arriving next week - security?

sagaris99

Reaction score
Hi all, eagerly awaiting the arrival of a 67 plate S3 Saloon in Nano grey next week

Have read and heard about the unfortunate attraction of these cars to thieves, and understand that advanced key (keyless go) is a major chink in the security of cars like this.

My car will not have advanced key, instead a convention remote unlocking key and physical barrel in the steering wheel, with steering lock.

Being pushed my dad to buy a DiskLok, slightly put off by the price but accept that it’s better than losing the car. My question is, given the steering lock, automatic gearbox in park and electronic parking brake, which can only be disabled with the ignition on, what is disklok actually offering me? The car can’t be moved (afaik) without the ignition, and I would expect the way the car is designed that should be impossible?? Wondering if my money would be better spent on GAP insurance or something like automatics trackers etc

There's nothing stopping (if determined) them just dragging your car off the driveway. Parking brake or not. Disklock of course won't stop it either but once they've got it they can then try and remove the disklock etc. However it would deter someone if they were just attempting to break in to the car and steal it

Imo you should have gap insurance regardless. Very cheap in comparison to what it offers you.

My personal opinion (after having one fitted to my S3) is that if my car was stolen, I don't really want it back. Also after fitting a tracker my insurance company wanted more money, despite the fact that it saves them money.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andy F, Ron240, loftylad and 1 other person
If they want the car they will try and break into the house and steal the keys, these scum bags are getting more and more audacious these days. best option is to keep the car away from public view if possible.

Reactions: Andy F, Ron240, loftylad and 1 other person
My personal opinion is forget any type of physical deterrent. If the scrotes want it, do you really want them waking you or your partner up at 2 in the morning demanding the keys/codes/whatever else.

Spend your money on insurance from a reputable company and get GAP insurance.

Keep the car out of sight as best you can (garaged if possible) and just be aware when nearing home of being followed.

I know loads on here say Ghost/trackers and the like, but if mine got stolen no way would I want it back.

Thefts of these types of cars are rife as there’s pretty much no chance of being caught and even less chance of prosecution even if they are. Risk vs reward. Very easy money for the low lives. Rob a post office tooled up and you’ll do jail time. Break into a house and steal someone’s 40k car, and you’ll be lucky if you get community service.

This is all worst case scenario, but it does happen and it forewarned is forearmed.

Reactions: Ron240, sagaris99 and B5NUT
As others have said....I wouldn't want my car back either if it was stolen, so a tracker would be completely out of the question for me.
I was watching Police Interceptors the other night and they were looking for a stolen Golf fitted with a tracker. They found it and a high speed chase began......over speed bumps, kerbs, even off road up a grassy bank! The car was being driven so fast and erratically that the police lost it.....only to later find it abandoned thanks to the tracker.
The final shot was of it being winched onto a tow truck with the commentator saying it would be returned to its owner.
Well if that was my car there's no way I would be wanting it back!!

Reactions: OCDaveS4, Pinky1959 and Adam14
New S3 delivered this morning at 9am, autowatch ghost installed this afternoon at 16:00
It’s a really clever bit of kit and a no brainier at 1% of the cars cost. Alarm on the home plus security cameras front and rear to keep the good lady happy and anti-snap locks. Visible steering lock in place (pain in the bum that it is) and I will be taking my keys to bed with me as I always do. I appreciate this is a bit contentious and feel for anyone that’s suffered a home break in for a car but no way will I allow taking my car be easy. Yes it can be replaced but no scum bag has any right to enter my home or take my property and I will absolutely put up a fight for it. Not getting into specifics, rights, wrongs, and totally respect the idea of leaving it so if targeted, it’s just the car that goes and nothing else. I remember the poor guy a year or so ago that was killed for a Saloon and it just got dumped after they ran him over. Terrible waste of life, however disturb my much needed sleep in the night trying to take what I work really hard for, I’ll be jumping out of bed like my gents sausage has been bitten by a bittey thing and doing my best to cause any would be invader a really really bad headache!

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Nick Moorhouse, sagaris99 and 2 others
And if the invader(s) actually gives you a really bad headache lol?

I'd rather them just take the keys and go. Rather deal with insurance than a possible stab wound or something.

And if the invader(s) actually gives you a really bad headache lol?

I'd rather them just take the keys and go. Rather deal with insurance than a possible stab wound or something.
Like I said, contentious;) however by that time my home alarm will be howling. There will have been noisy damage to get in. My Mrs will be screaming (probably at me and trust me, that’ll have the toughest or scum bags heading for the door) and if I am in some way impeded, Mr Butt Head (or Mrs, let’s not be sexist here) wont be getting my Ghost code will he / she. Whatever any of us say and either side of the debate, we’ll never really know until we find ourselves in that situation and I would never judge any one who’s been there. All I know for sure is I intend to do everything I can to make any potential theft of my car as challenging as eating fruit pastilles and not chewing, and I’ll be a little annoyed should they try

This can go down multiple routes. Can see both sides. Yes they have no right to my car, but a car can be replaced, a life cannot. Yes I'd be ****** if someone nicked my car but I'd rather that than someone hurt.

Yea I've got security cameras, couple of alsatians and home alarm which are good deterrents but half the time these people are desperate. They won't care!

Reactions: loftylad
A S3 in Nano Grey there's not a chance it'll get stolen..............lol

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Alistair D, loftylad and 5 others
My current car has keyless entry so I park my van across the drive to block it in and also make sure Both keys are disabled in the evenings. I tried wheel clamps and steering locks but got bored of doing that all the time. My next car will have ghost (I think I was offered £350 installed) and GAP.
I also have a RING door bell to check on it whenever I want.

Reactions: sagaris99 and Baldyone
My current car has keyless entry so I park my van across the drive to block it in and also make sure Both keys are disabled in the evenings. I tried wheel clamps and steering locks but got bored of doing that all the time. My next car will have ghost (I think I was offered £350 installed) and GAP.
Just stick your keys in a biscuit tin. Prevents the relay hack. Or get those £5 pouches. But the van idea is golden

Yep, van blocking mine too and a Ring door bell for the view. Honestly thought they where some kinda gimmick when they first came out, kinda like an iPhone watch “how’s that ever gonna work?” (Can’t live without mine now), however I’m one for turning and I’m well impressed with my Ring

Reactions: KieranJ22
Yep, van blocking mine too and a Ring door bell for the view. Honestly thought they where some kinda gimmick when they first came out, kinda like an iPhone watch “how’s that ever gonna work?” (Can’t live without mine now), however I’m one for turning and I’m well impressed with my Ring
Ring doorbell is fantastic. Great for when you have parcels and you're not home as well

Reactions: Baldyone
Going back a few years here a guy on my street had a brand new civic type R when they first hit uk roads
two weeks into owning it he was woken one night by a loud bang upon opening his bedroom window there were four masked
men asking for his car keys and threatening to enter his house if he didn't hand them over . The car was found the next day through
the tracker by the police with a hand gun in the glove box and red dye all over the seats . Three week later he had a skoda on the drive
and said he wouldn't buy a performance car again . If it happened to me i'd just hand the keys over as you just never know how far they
are willing to go .

Reactions: Adam14
Ring doorbell is fantastic. Great for when you have parcels and you're not home as well

Shame the app has become so bloated that by the time it opens on your phone, the person has given up waiting - and its a new fast phone so thats not the cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Shame the app has become so bloated that by the time it opens on your phone, the person has given up waiting - and its a new fast phone so thats not the cause.

Can't say I have the same issue. Loads quickly for me (on Samsung S9+). Got the flood camera and doorbell, however don't have that "live view" screen turned on. Maybe why.

Haven’t had to use it in that way yet. My little bro is staying with us at the mo and highlight so far is watching the numpty try to return home quietly in the early hours of the morning totally p’sd! Hilarious watch back. If he wakes the dogs, the wife will bite! I’ve a van not for commercial reasons but because the good lady of the house has all Amazon orders directed to my work and no car is big enough for me to get them home each day. Now it adds to car security too :)
Steering lock on that just to make it even more off a ball ache in the mornings!.....and more troubling for any swag bag man too

Reactions: KieranJ22

Have you checked the signal strength for the device? If it’s poor you can buy a booster which may improve this. I don’t have any issues with my iPhone 8 and 8+.
Also, I don’t close the ring app

Last edited:
A S3 in Nano Grey there's not a chance it'll get stolen..............lol
You need a Navarra Blue version - its like some kind of stealth car at night - can't see the flippin thing ! (mind you, no street lights where I am !) . On the "van" theme, I might start parking SWMBO's beloved Toyota in front ! S3 keys go in a tin every night.....

...I suppose the other thing is to wash it with Fairy, fit a towbar, roofbox and some mudflaps.............:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Baldyone and Jassyo06
Hi all, eagerly awaiting the arrival of a 67 plate S3 Saloon in Nano grey next week

Have read and heard about the unfortunate attraction of these cars to thieves, and understand that advanced key (keyless go) is a major chink in the security of cars like this.

My car will not have advanced key, instead a convention remote unlocking key and physical barrel in the steering wheel, with steering lock.

Being pushed my dad to buy a DiskLok, slightly put off by the price but accept that it’s better than losing the car. My question is, given the steering lock, automatic gearbox in park and electronic parking brake, which can only be disabled with the ignition on, what is disklok actually offering me? The car can’t be moved (afaik) without the ignition, and I would expect the way the car is designed that should be impossible?? Wondering if my money would be better spent on GAP insurance or something like automatics trackers etc

GAP insurance? Yes. A must.
Tracker? No. Would you really want it back?
Disklok? Yes, as it will deter the opportunist .

If you have a garage, use it. If they can't see it, they can't steal it.

End of the day, you can only do so much. Baring connecting it up to the mains like some guy did back in the day with his Sapphire Cosworth, then if they want it, they'll take it. And unfortunately if that means stabbing you, then they will.

Always keep your car key downstairs. If they do break in for the keys, let them see them, take them, and get out. Hiding them or taking them upstairs only invites them upstairs where you and your family are sleeping.

Now the insurance companies have started kicking up a fuss regarding `Keyless Go` I suspect manufacturers will provably stop using them. If insurance companies stop insuring, or vastly up'ing the cost of insuring a car with Keyless, then no one is going to buy a car the keyless. Manufacturers will soon get the message. Unfortunately people with car that already have keyless, they could get stung in the wallet.

Reactions: oli356, loftylad, Adam14 and 1 other person
I’ll be jumping out of bed like my gents sausage has been bitten by a bittey thing and doing my best to cause any would be invader a really really bad headache!
You mean invaders, there is usually a few of them.

I suggest you buy an axe then and keep it by your bed.

You mean invaders, there is usually a few of them.

I suggest you buy an axe then and keep it by your bed.
Apart from the fact you could then be sued or face criminal charges as that is not "reasonable force".

I hear ya.

However, I do wonder what constitutes reasonable force when confronted by several armed intruders in the middle of the night.

It’s funny how some people think they’re “terry-ten-men” when it comes to confronting determined thieves.

Professional car thieves are career hardened scum and real pieces of work. Stealing motors is their “job”. Even if you’re Bruce Lee, what do you think you’re going to do at 2am, bleary eyed when you’ve got 4 balaclava’d up hard men tooled up with absolutely nothing to lose demanding keys or the code to your ghost immobiliser?

As for the hassle of putting on and taking off stuff like disc locks? What’s the point? Opportunists can’t take these kind of motors without the keys. All you’re doing is making it a ball ache for yourselves every time you get in or out of your car.

It’s a car. It can be replaced. Insure it, GAP it and garage or hide it away.

Unfortunately, it’s only going to get worse, as there’s absolutely no deterrent or punishment for this type of crime. The detection and prosecution numbers are pitiful. Easy money for these cretinous low life oxygen robbers who make hard working peoples lives miserable.

I’d stop this overnight if I were in power. It’s real simple. Chop their hands off. See how many cars go missing after “aspiring footballer and loveable rouge” Johnny Scrote is pictured on the 6 o clock news with two stumps.:icon thumright:

Reactions: John Pilkington, wab172uk, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
I had an attempted theft of mine back in March we weren’t in at the time. The house alarm and big metal sliding electric gate didn’t deter them. As the cars not keyless they were looking for the keys which they didn’t find. They didn’t realise the house alarmed was monitored and the police were around in minutes we think they ran off as they arrived. These thief’s are not after a confrontation as it’s goes from burglary to aggravated burglary and sentence time is increased. They want to get your keys silently or keyless so the cars gone before you know. If you ever confronted best going for one of them and scratch them or rip the hair out and try get dna that way if I get one chance of getting them all. I wouldn’t say there hard men at all easier thinking your hard tooled up rather than looking for a fist fight. Most of these think there professionals most case they aren’t just after a easy picking and the equipment they use is easily available.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and oli356
These thief’s are not after a confrontation as it’s goes from burglary to aggravated burglary and sentence time is increased. They want to get your keys silently or keyless so the cars gone before you know
I would agree with this and it's why I think the whole idea of installing the ghost system and then worrying about the thieves forcing the code out of you is a bit.. Unlikely.

Not saying it would never happen, but over an average car like an s3 or rs3.....? Do they really want to increase the chance of being caught or harm to themselves..

In the Audi range these cars are still somewhat low end. My neighbour has a BMW X3 and the other side has a Land Rover Discovery. Both cars are the same price if not more than these Audis. My point being, they are hardly the most expensive cars on the road. Of course if they are being stolen as a get away car then those 2 examples maybe aren't the best car choice but in terms of value atleast....

So yeah, I think forcing a code out of you is an unlikely scenario. More like the car doesn't start, let's get the heck out of here.
Maybe if it's a rare or a super car or you live in the middle of no where so not any neighbors around that could spot you etc... Then maybe.

Apart from the fact you could then be sued or face criminal charges as that is not "reasonable force".

And that's whats wrong with today.. To me taking an axe to someone who's broken into your house isn't enough reasonable force.

A criminal entering someones deserves everything they get and the law should say so.

Country is sorry should i say, has gone to the dogs.

Reactions: John Pilkington, davc, Adam14 and 1 other person
It’s funny how some people think they’re “terry-ten-men” when it comes to confronting determined thieves.

Professional car thieves are career hardened scum and real pieces of work. Stealing motors is their “job”. Even if you’re Bruce Lee, what do you think you’re going to do at 2am, bleary eyed when you’ve got 4 balaclava’d up hard men tooled up with absolutely nothing to lose demanding keys or the code to your ghost immobiliser?

Agree completely.

As for the hassle of putting on and taking off stuff like disc locks? What’s the point? Opportunists can’t take these kind of motors without the keys. All you’re doing is making it a ball ache for yourselves every time you get in or out of your car.

Disagree, it might be a ball ache but you're slowing them down and will more than likely go elsewhere (or so you would hope), criminals want to get into the house get the keys, unlock the car whilst getting out of the house and sod off sharpish, they don't want to be prating about with diskloks / security bollards.

It’s a car. It can be replaced. Insure it, GAP it and garage or hide it away.

Agree completely.

Unfortunately, it’s only going to get worse, as there’s absolutely no deterrent or punishment for this type of crime. The detection and prosecution numbers are pitiful. Easy money for these cretinous low life oxygen robbers who make hard working peoples lives miserable.

I’d stop this overnight if I were in power. It’s real simple. Chop their hands off. See how many cars go missing after “aspiring footballer and loveable rouge” Johnny Scrote is pictured on the 6 o clock news with two stumps.:icon thumright:

DAMN RIGHT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: loftylad

Reasonable force enables the use of a weapon in the heat of the moment if you feel your life is in danger, tooled up intruders would constitute this. When the use of a weapon is not reasonable force is when you 'lay a trap' or 'continue using it' when you've already debilitated them. Basically if you have an axe, hammer, crowbar or anything, you've got one shot. Make it a good one and nail the scumbag(s).

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/publications/householders-2013.pdf

I'm very much on the make it as hard as possible approach, 99.9% want your keys without alerting you, They want to be in an out and long gone before you even realise the car is gone. You can make that impossible with alarms, steering locks, motion detection, cctv and alike. The 0.1% of nutters can still be deterred and delayed with clever tactics as we all know, but at the end of the day cars are replaceable and we all have insurance. I'm not looking to give my car up without a fight, I've worked hard for it, why should I have to just let it go without a fuss and then live with heightened insurance policies for the rest of my life!
Equally not looking to lose my life over a bit of metal and everyone has limits.

. These thief’s are not after a confrontation as it’s goes from burglary to aggravated burglary and sentence time is increased.

I would agree with this and it's why I think the whole idea of installing the ghost system and then worrying about the thieves forcing the code out of you is a bit.. Unlikely.

Not saying it would never happen, but over an average car like an s3 or rs3.....? Do they really want to increase the chance of being caught or harm to themselves..

The thing is, 15 years ago there was a real chance of being caught and securing a conviction. Today, there is pretty much no chance of getting caught and even if they are caught, sentences are laughable.

Scum know this and are taking full advantage of it. It’s definitely getting worse and more frequent.

Reasonable force enables the use of a weapon in the heat of the moment if you feel your life is in danger, tooled up intruders would constitute this. When the use of a weapon is not reasonable force is when you 'lay a trap' or 'continue using it' when you've already debilitated them. Basically if you have an axe, hammer, crowbar or anything, you've got one shot. Make it a good one and nail the scumbag(s).

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/publications/householders-2013.pdf

Trouble is that all depends on interpretation as to why an axe is sticking out of the back of someones head in first place, if the law read something along the lines of and made it clear that ANY FORCE is deemed as reasonable then maybe these feckers would think twice.

I'm convinced that we will see more criminals ending up getting fecked up having entered someones home to burgle it because people have had enough of absolute shambolic laws, justice system and the fannying about protecting the criminals from proper justice.

I value my life, my Mrs and my sons so i wouldn't confront someone unless i really thought i had the upper hand and could absolutely annihilate one of them, trouble is they no where you live, you don't know where they live.

Trouble is that all depends on interpretation as to why an axe is sticking out of the back of someones head in first place, if the law read something along the lines of and made it clear that ANY FORCE is deemed as reasonable then maybe these feckers would think twice.

I'm convinced that we will see more criminals ending up getting fecked up having entered someones home to burgle it because people have had enough of absolute shambolic laws, justice system and the fannying about protecting the criminals from proper justice.

I value my life, my Mrs and my sons so i wouldn't confront someone unless i really thought i had the upper hand and could absolutely annihilate one of them, trouble is they no where you live, you don't know where they live.

It does state that "this includes the use of a weapon" If you fear for your life and in the heat of the moment decide to whack an axe across someones head so be it. More and more we are seeing people get done over after breaking into someones home and getting let off. This includes stabbing, shooting and a claw hammer.
That said if you hit them once and the threat is gone, but then you continue you're then in for a whole world of pain, that is NOT reasonable force. Neither would sneaking up on them be, However, If they came storming into your room and you grabbed an axe and hit them once, that is reasonable force, it's the heat of the moment, you don't have time to think and your life is clearly in danger.

They could make the law clearer I agree, personally if someone breaks into my house and believes they have the right to take whats mine, I believe I should have the right to take what's theirs and cut their hands off! That'd soon stop them and certainly stop people going to jail for 10 days and then doing it again the night of their release.

It does state that "this includes the use of a weapon" If you fear for your life and in the heat of the moment decide to whack an axe across someones head so be it. More and more we are seeing people get done over after breaking into someones home and getting let off. This includes stabbing, shooting and a claw hammer.
That said if you hit them once and the threat is gone, but then you continue you're then in for a whole world of pain, that is NOT reasonable force. Neither would sneaking up on them be, However, If they came storming into your room and you grabbed an axe and hit them once, that is reasonable force, it's the heat of the moment, you don't have time to think and your life is clearly in danger.

They could make the law clearer I agree, personally if someone breaks into my house and believes they have the right to take whats mine, I believe I should have the right to take what's theirs and cut their hands off! That'd soon stop them and certainly stop people going to jail for 10 days and then doing it again the night of their release.

Absolutely spot on.

Reactions: zaka7
I'd like to think that I'd back myself against a couple of people in my house trying to get my motor, but in reality they are going to be spraying a fire extinguisher in your face before you can get anywhere near them. I'm more worried about them letting the house cat out than taking the car. Get gap insurance and try not to worry about it. Thinking that its going to get stolen every night when you go to sleep soon takes the edge off having a nice car :(.

I'd like to think that I'd back myself against a couple of people in my house trying to get my motor, but in reality they are going to be spraying a fire extinguisher in your face before you can get anywhere near them. I'm more worried about them letting the house cat out than taking the car. Get gap insurance and try not to worry about it. Thinking that its going to get stolen every night when you go to sleep soon takes the edge off having a nice car :(.

If you have a house alarm and hidden motion detection triggers, you'll be awake and know where they are before they can surprise you with something like that. It's not just a deterrent to most, but more of a I know i'll be awake and aware what is happening, it takes even the most bullish of crooks element of surprise away.

General consensus is if they want it they'll take it. By any means possible....All you can do is try and make it as difficult for them as possible.

Regarding GAP insurance.....I'm not a fan. I paid for my car outright so that makes a difference. Finance however is a different story. It does depend on your circumstances...Have a good read of the below link.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/gap-insurance/