S3 Satnav Plus and Ipod

jungleman

Reaction score
hey guys
very new to this site so bear with me if i get things a little wrong

this coming saturday im picking up my S3 on a 56 plate, as it stands its got the audi navigation plus system with bose and the 6 CD changer in the glove box

now as i dont really do cds id like to change the cd multi changer to an ipod cable, now ive spoken to 2 different audi delaers and one said its about £300, the other about £30 :wacko: so u may see my confusion!!

does anyone know what i need to get an ipod working with the head unit and what the likely cost should be?

cheers in advance

Paolo :icon_thumright:

You may want to look at the Dension Gateway unit. It acts like a 6 disk CD changer, where you can have Playlists. Not as neat as the full Ipod, but you cant have the Audi AMI as your RNS-E wont support it. IMHO many people just use the SD slots as you will get track names etc. It will be the cheapest way, and the most functional.

Paolo
I have the RNS-E with bose, and i use the genuine audi Ipod adapter kit to hook up my iphone. The cable charges the ipod/iphone and also allows you to play through the CD changer function on the RNS-E, however you dont get any track info. That would certainly be your cheapest Audi option, which is probably closest to the £30 figure quoted by the dealer (although I suspect the kit will be a bit more than £30). There are many other makes on the market so check all options before buying.
I am happy with the audi kit and got mine relatively cheap on ebay (£60) so check there from time to time.
Just a word of caution....depending on when you bought your ipod.........apple altered the charging basis on later ipod/iphones from 12v to 5v which I think caused them to alter the charging pins.......therefore if you are planning to buy second hand make sure the cable in the kit is definitely suited to your age of ipod.

cheers guys
humm looks like ill have to go down the SD card route as id like to know what track im playing :)
do you know if there is a limit on what size card the RNS-E will recognise as ill need a couple of 32GB cards to fit all my music on
Paolo

forget putting big cards in, the rns-e will only recognise 512 files
have you thought about doing the aux in mod, did mine last week, works a treat for iphone, then you get to keep cd changer aswell

not heard of the aux in mod.... what is it and how does it work?
how will that work with the ipod and tracks etc?

The RNS-E can only accept upto 2GB per slot.

cheers guys
humm looks like ill have to go down the SD card route as id like to know what track im playing :)
do you know if there is a limit on what size card the RNS-E will recognise as ill need a couple of 32GB cards to fit all my music on
Paolo

forget putting big cards in, the rns-e will only recognise 512 files
have you thought about doing the aux in mod, did mine last week, works a treat for iphone, then you get to keep cd changer aswell

Would be interested in this as its what im looking at doing, does it use composite or component av cable?

neither, uses 3.5mm jack, aux in doesnt allow video in, youd need an interface for that

ahhh ive got you, so i guess that means you dont have the ability to charge the ipod whilst driving?

Don't want to use phone jack want to use av tv inputs which I assume is the standard RCA or composite leads, but does the rns-e unit have av inputs built in or will i need an interface lead? Also where does the interface lead fit? Thanks

Wrong you can use up to the maximum that you can get. The limitation is the amount of files not on the zize of the card

Wrong you can use up to the maximum that you can get. The limitation is the amount of files not on the zize of the card

Sorry but you are incorrect, there is a limitation on the MK1 RNS SD card use, you can use 4GB SD cards but it still has a file limitation, Wheelie is correct.

RNS MK2 is almost limitless upto 32GB.

The 4GB SD (Not SDHC) are near impossible to source. I have only found one company who sells these still.

Sorry but you are incorrect, there is a limitation on the MK1 RNS SD card use, you can use 4GB SD cards but it still has a file limitation, Wheelie is correct.

RNS MK2 is almost limitless upto 32GB.

I'll give you that, thats why I bought 4 lol.