S3 SB...questions before I order??

elton121272

Reaction score
HI Guys,

Faurly new to forum and looking to put my S3 SB order with a dealer in the next day or so.

I'm looking at the follwoing options.

Is there anything that I may have missed here? Not quite sure on the ICE package so I've upgraded to BOSE and then plan on purchasing an aftermarket dvd sat nan that I picked up on from this forum is a wise move and healthy saving - is this correct and it is as simple as a straight forward plug and play with the other mods....at a cost of around £750?

Thanks in advance.

Mobile telephone preperation - bluetooth interface
Adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED running lights + headlight washers
Bose sound system with 8 speakers
iPod console located in glovebox - controllable with radio or multi-function steering wheel
Electric folding door mirrors
Privacy glass
Fine nappa leather upholstery with front bucket seats
Black styling pack - A3
Solid - Ibis white
Piano black finish inlay

I'd go for black personally, but even on white I'd get the open sky roof thingymagig....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd skip the open sky doo-dah myself...it does look good as a colour contrast but it's 4 foot of glass that opens 12 inches...great :3sadwalk:

Nice black and white theme Elton, like it :o.k:

mate i have just ordered an ibis white S3 SB, and agree with the above - open sky sunroof is a must in my opinion, makes the car look really mean from the front, do a image search on the web to see if you can see one

£1,100 for a sun roof !

Your spec is pretty much spot on, I'm not sure I'd spec Bose either as £470 buys a lot of ICE if not happy with the standard system, I've had Bose on previous Audi's and I cant say I'd spec it again but the grilles do look nice and blingy.

For the sake of £140 order the interior light package too as it looks cool at night.

Good luck

Spin

My car is pretty much built now but im regretting not going for the interior light pack, im presuming not but could audi fit this for me after?

It is my friend, but DIY is not

Nice spec. Interior light pack is great, mine was factory fitted, so not sure on the reto fit, seems straightforward enough though.

For me, brushed alu instead of piano black inlays, they show finger print marks really badly.

Buckets - tick. I've cruise, useful when you need it, not a necessity.

All the best!

It is my friend, but DIY is not

:lmfao:

Fair point! But the middle bit with the reading lights and the ambient illumination is a piece of p**s, even I can do that with my spacky clumsy hands and a screwdriver.

Didn't fancy doing the ones in the doors, so didn't :happy:

:lmfao:

Fair point! But the middle bit with the reading lights and the ambient illumination is a piece of p**s, even I can do that with my spacky clumsy hands and a screwdriver.

Didn't fancy doing the ones in the doors, so didn't :happy:

I will have a look into it, but i struggle with an ikea coffee table so i might end up with ambient lights under the car lighting up the tarmac

I'd skip the open sky doo-dah myself...it does look good as a colour contrast but it's 4 foot of glass that opens 12 inches...great :3sadwalk:

Nice black and white theme Elton, like it :o.k:

yeah its front and back though hotbox .... its look's great on a white s3 with black roof , and inside it look's great to im sure il be shot down though ...by the asn clik ..but there you go

Now let me see which looks better white a3 with white roof

DSC02186-vi.jpg

Or the s3 with the black roof coming up your **** at 140
this isnt an s3 but you get the drift ....

A3012.jpg

Black roof , twin sunroof's i rest my case

311861378_a9d8608f52.jpg

All right you can vinyl it ? but its not the same sorry if i was spending 30k on a car id stretch an extra bag ... for it to look the nuts

311861455_5a83d81de4.jpg

Last edited:
Blazin m8 I know it's front and back, I used to have one myself :happy: My issue is not with how it looks (good) more with the fact that it's massive, has 2 big bits of glass, costs a grand but only opens like 10-12 inches...

...but as we all know, I have a 'skewed' perception of the value of these things (see bucket seat thread). As far as I can see the OP has ordered the useful stuff. If he has a wife he should have ordered PDC (and should have ordered the interior light pack anyway :laugh: )

Just in case you're interested - You get a free optional head lining colour too. Either black or Silver. Option code ZN for silver if you're interested.

PS - Open Sky looks great from the external with the mass tinted glass. Looks good with tilt too. From inside it really only looks like normal sunroofs. one in the front ..one in the back. Back doesn't open either.

KKP

Nice spec elton,

Agree that the interior light pack is worthwhile and that the piano inlays are a 'bitch' to keep scratch / fingerprint free.

Did you get a deal on price with Tony ?.

I have to agree that the Opensky on Ibis looks sweet, expensive, but sweet. IIRC GConn has it on his and it looks good.

Also id go for aluminum inlays defo .....Black do scratch , not bad just very fine scratches whilst aluminum just keeps its look's ...

HOTBOX i here what you say pal :friends: I just much prefer the look of open sky black on white , and the light it let's in from the roof inside is nice when it's peeing down or sunny it's quite therapeutic lol..

I sat in a s3 with open-sky in audi manc and if i had the choice from new i would rather have it than what i have now , i know its a grand but what's a bag o sand to a 30 k car to finish the look off and i like the interior look much better with open sky to , The orange s3 i saw with it looked awesome inside and out ...

Last edited:
I know what you mean...because I'm a tight git I always say I'll never spec a sunroof on a new car because I'm not paying a grand for a hole in the roof that I hardly ever use :blahblah1:

...but my new car comes with a sunroof I didn't want and I'm still sort of glad I've got one :wacko:

The thing to remember is that although you consider a grand to be a bag of sand in comparison to a 30K car, most of us set out to just spend £27k and end up stretching the budget anyway :)

Personally the only extras that are worth it are Buckets & the lighting pack, the centre bit is easy but the dide under the door locks etc would be too much for me, having said that unless you plan on keeping the motor min 3 years just buy a standard car, plenty of kit and less depreciation.

If was looking at a SB my choice would be IBIS (good choice BTW) opensky, optics and some dark BBS or RS4s.

FBMFSW is std now anyway iirc, so after ticking the BT, BOSE and armrest boxes, retrofitting RNSE and procuring a REVO remap, I reckon you would have a fine motor car.
Flappy mirrors and cruise are Ok but I dont use them much so probably wouldnt have bothered if I was buying new next time.

enjoy

cheers
Paul

I like the contrast of black roof on Ibis White, however, i'm with Hotbox on this, it's an absolute rip-off for a sunroof. I think i'd have ordered it whithout, then taken it to a decent spray shop and have the roof sprayed black, for a fraction of the cost.

Mobile telephone preperation - bluetooth interface YES

Adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED running lights + headlight washers YES ( standard ?)

I have had 2 * A3's ( one was my wife's) this year and now an S3 sportback First had bose second did not i was gutted when i heard the one one with out, my new S3 sportback has ! The standard system is awful compared to the bose. I am a sound engineer by trade , its also near enough impossible to retro fit , and the dore cards look lost with out the bose chrome.

iPod console located in glovebox - controllable with radio or multi-function steering wheel

I have this and it sucks ! the Rns-e you will be retro fitting has 2 memory cards and you can see the folders and track names , sound's excellent, the ipod you have to make track listings named cd1 - cd6 pointless and rubbish IMO.If anything throw a cd changer in there , then at least you will have cd quality rather than mp3.

Electric folding door mirrors YES ,

I had it and i like it , although they do not close on there own , slightly pointless but again nice to have.

Privacy glass DEFIANTLY

Again i had my last car aftermarket tinted and i hated the way it showed the dot matrix though , hence new car is factory tinted.

Fine nappa leather upholstery with front bucket seats YES YES YES YES Even if really hated them which you will not , they will sell for the same you spent on them as an option , you cant lose on that one.
Black styling pack - A3 YES again for me though , i am not so happy with the fogs surrounds also being black ( see pic ) i actually prefer the chrome fog surrounds , again i have just bought those and actually putting them on in the morning ! ill post a pic with one on one off so you can see what you think.
Solid - Ibis white , YES ( although i am a Phantom black fan and the last 2 have both been.

Piano black finish inlay , cant stand it , they look nice in the dark , but in day light they show all the marks and prints IMO. but again if you do not like them you will always find some piano black second hand , but rarely see used brushed chrome ones...that says something.

Old car with roof rails

9.jpg

New car with out rails and black , fogs ( but not tomorrow ! )

S32.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys - appreciate all the feedback and comments.

Certainly think I will reconsider the piano black inlays as they don't sound a lasting feature!!

I think the lighting pack will now be an addition.

I have this and it sucks ! the Rns-e you will be retro fitting has 2 memory cards and you can see the folders and track names , sound's excellent, the ipod you have to make track listings named cd1 - cd6 pointless and rubbish IMO.If anything throw a cd changer in there , then at least you will have cd quality rather than mp3.
QUOTE]

Is this the genral consensus that Ipod console is a novel waste of money? If the retro fit RNS-E comes with 2 memory slots then that would be more than enough for me.....does anyone have a pic or typical ebay link of what exact model I would be after and what type of fitting is required?

Thanks again in advance guys.....have already found this forum a great one stop shop for all our before and aftermarket Q & A's :thumbsup:

Not quite signed on the dotted line but hopefully a little more haggling and the deal will be done before the week is out :happy:

General opinion is that the ipod dock is pretty poor, RNSE called Nav plus is around £5-600 second hand but be patient and you will get a chrome buttoned (latest) item.

I found all the Audi fitted phone kits were really annoying with regular disconnection accompanied by an annoying 'Bong', in contrast the aftermarket Bury phone kit I had fitted for £225 has never missed a beat and has voice activation as well as converting your texts to speech so you can play back - this set up will go in the new motor.

Whatever you order you will always think you have missed something so keep it simple and enjoy retro fitting the parts afterwards for a fraction of the price, keep us posted.

Martin you are right about the chrome sat nav , i made the mistake of jumping the gun and went for the standard ( old one ) and regretted it , i was quite lucky that the guys i got it from took it back in exchange for chrome button one. But they are still now quite rare , and tend to fetch £ 600ish..

I used these guys , great to deal with and a warranty, But i know they are struggling to get any chrome ones as a mate is on there waiting list !

http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/

What we really need is people to start crashing more cars LOL ! so we can get the new high res ones, although they seem to go for £950 + ouch.

Oh and Martin those door cards are ready when ever you are .

As a fellow piano black owner, I would DEFINITELY without doubt go for *anything* else. Seriously, you'll regret it. Clean it with ANYTHING and you'll get swirl marks. Don't clean it and you'll have 10 ton of dust. lol just not good.

I have to agree that the Opensky on Ibis looks sweet, expensive, but sweet. IIRC GConn has it on his and it looks good.

Thanks :lmfao:I should post these up earlier to help the OP, sorry :sorry: I would pay for the Open sky option if I had to decide again. Cruise control is nice too and should be named "speed-camera ticket control". The RNS-E is also nice but expensive. You could always add this later if price is an issue. Antiglare mirror is good for annoying drivers with HID kits from ebay :) but I can't remember the price and if it's worth it.

garage1.jpg

garage2.jpg

Oh yeah and i wouldnt go for privacy glass get it done yourself it looks a thousand times better and more class as privacy glass looks like they have stook black paper on the back then you have nothing on the front it looks naff ...

I just got medium tint alround looks very nice not had pull off the cops either if your paranoid about getting a tug do medium on the black and light on the front ..looks much better...

privacy glass just to dark for me almost make's the car like a hearse

rs4-racing-green-1.jpg

And tints done by a shop , medium all round but if you want get light on the front just looks better in my opinion
pic.jpg

Only problem there is to the Insurance companies, that is a mod, privacy from factory isn't.

Its not a problem ive not told my insurance about it ....Do you have to ?? Its tinted windows not exactly a turbo back exaust with a stage 2 map :sly:

Gotta be honest I wouldn't even think to tell the insurance about tints...it's just big window stickers :happy:

It's not likely to load your premium however I'd strongly advise you tell them of any material fact.

Many moons ago I was refused a claim by a well known insurance company because of non standard wheels. They were the same size as OEM just not manufacturer spec. Taught me a lesson!

I have to agree about telling the insurance company about the tinted windows, they will always look for a reason not to pay out.

As for the big sheet of glass that you will never look out, costs £1100 and turns your car into a big green house, I would pass. Lets face it, most normal people only see the outside of the car when they walk up to it and get inside. The remaining 23 hours and 59 minutes of each day they will never see the look of it from the outside. Then again I am a Yorkshire man and would prefer to save £1100 and spend it on beer.

I skipped the Bose upgrade, didnt think £400 was worth it. I do regret not paying for the phone prep, I currently have a button my steering wheel that does sweet FA and would improve the RNS-E navigation control. Looks like I need to get SDS retrofitted.

Thanks Guys....

We I have agreed a 10% dealer discount and it looks like late Jan/mid Feb as delivery schedule times so probably a 1st March plate for me....don't know if I can wait that long!!!

Anyway I going to pay deposit tommorrow and confirm all my mods which are:

S3 SPORTBACK Quattro 5d
Privacy glass
Reversible boot mat
Black styling pack
Interior light pack
Solid - Ibis white
Matt brushed aluminium inlay

Before I miss anything is there a link to a site that explains what each optional specifically is? I know this sounds stupid but for example - what exactly is the audi music interface or the luggage pack ?

Thanks all,
Elton

Also does the car come with mats all round or are they like another extra cost?

What about SupaGuard----is this something dealers offer and I should haggle to get included?

Cheers.

S3 SPORTBACK Quattro 5d
Privacy glass
Reversible boot mat
Black styling pack
Interior light pack
Solid - Ibis white
Matt brushed aluminium inlay

nice spec. A nice touch is that even the rear doors have puddle lights - something that never occurred to me, but was pleasantly suprised.

I'd choose to get the boot mat off ebay though, and drop the electric folding mirrors - they're just another thing to break or expense to replace if they get smashed.

One thing I'd add would be reversing sensors. Even if you don't want them it makes the car more desirable at resale time. People expect them as standard on cars now.

I declared seagul poo on my roof to my Insurance Co.

They said it was tough sh!t:ohmy:

:think: Electric folding Mirrors - how do they work - are they hard wired via the alarm when opening and closing doors?

As for teh reversing sensors - do they not come standard :uhm:

Thanks again.