S3 side skirts question and answer.

crypric23

Never satisfied
Reaction score
I was asked the following in a PM , thought best to add it as a thread so we can all see / comment etc..

drnutta ASKED

Just some questions really with regards to what you said earlier regarding the S3 side skirts. Can you please explain a bit more?
Also can you still use your Sline metal door guards?

If you are fitting S3 side skirts then NO you can not use the s-line metal / chrome scuff plates.You will have to buy S3 scuff plates , they do say S3 on them that is is the only down side , but i was not that bothered as you can only see them when the door is open.

You will also have to change the small strip piece that runs the length at the very bottom of each door. If you have a sportback of course you will need to change all 4 scuff plates and 4 door strips. If you do not then when you fit the skirts the doors will not close , as by adding the skirts it adds a little extra height to the sill.

In essence the S3 scuff plates are shaped and designed to fit over the side skirts and the s-line plates are not ( they are flat ).The s-line doors are the same as the S3 but the S3 have a smaller strip section. Remember they are all made at the factory so rather than make an S3 door and an s-line door they just make one door and have different strips to add to the bottom. The same with the scuff plates the chasis of the cars are the same just one has skirts on and the other does not, all you are doing is taking off the S-line bits and putting the S3 bits on. Same as they do at the factory , apart from they don't put them on and then take them off again !

It's not so much a mod , its more of a factory fit change , but done by your self.

Last edited:
Any ideas of the part no.s for the sportback s3 side skirts and sills?

& door bottoms, its the same routine as the 3dr tbh, just extra sills & longer sides.

The S3 chassis has threaded bolts welded to the underside to fix the skirts with some plastic nuts, where as a3's dont have these in place, so you need to fix them on with sikaflex which I used as extra fixing for the sills & skirts on the side aswell as underneath so they never come of, so dont be sold the plastic nuts to fix underneath as there useless for an a3, also some other small fixings come with the skirts so shouldnt need them seperately, well did on 3dr & I returned the unused ones & got almost £40 back, result.

Just remember when fixing the skirts & new sills on, remove any old sticky residue from the old sills & trims that were fixed in place before, there will be some I can assure you, otherwise you could have an uneven fixing, took me several hours to do, but well worth it as its lovely & straight/flat, believe me on this, takes hours with say white spirit used sparingly as its a paint thinner, wash the areas afterwards to remove the spirit so it doesnt eat the lacquer, worked for me & no issues with paint since.

Thanks for this any chance of the door guard part no's?

thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Dealer should be able to find these very easily in etka given they are remarked as S3 in the far right column mate for the door bottoms, doddle, then again experiences heard on here with parts departments amazes me tbh

Answer to pm again :

No you can not amend the S-line scuff plates as they are a different shape , as said they are flat and will not sit on top of the skirts. Yes you do need them as it will look un finished with out them.

Please use this thread rather than PM's

Nigel ^ I See what you are saying now

Wish people would listen/read, use the thread not pm's, pm's dont help anyone else out do they, happy to help but dont pm people unless its personal as its a waste of everyone's time.

As already advised, the S3 sills are made taller to go over the skirts given the skirts actually fix to the car under where your current sills are to have a tight fit, thus as your current sills are flat, they cant be reused to sit over the skirts as the door wouldnt close properly iirc which is same why you need new door bottoms before you ask & would look super crap, end of really, buy the S3 sills.

Just helps everyone thats all mate, sure you can see the sense in this, no offense, its all good.

pfft, celsius for sure - fahrenheit is old money! Ok, ElsaWin says approx 40 deg celsius :icon_thumright:

Would anyone know what these part numbers are for the
scuff plates and 4 door strips?

As heading to audi this morning.

Dealer should be able to find these very easily in etka given they are remarked as S3 in the far right column mate for the door bottoms, doddle

Nutta, as above mate, its marked "S3" in the "REMARKS" column in the door etc sections so they shouldnt get it wrong touch wood/head etc.

Hum...
Just been to audi and they have no idea what i am talking about :(

could someone please assist in these part numbers.

Anyone with the pictures or the exploded diagram?

They wont even show me the parts catalog!

Grr

Last edited:
Unfeckingbelievable these parts departments!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to wait from me mate as havnt got etka up on my systems again after reinstalling, someone else has up so hopefully they will step in atm, sorry.

For a 3 door:

sills : left 8P3 853 859 GRU right 8P3 853 860 GRU

wing caps : left 8P0 853 579 GRU right 8P0 853 580 GRU

Door edges : left 8P3 853 959 K GRU right 8P3 853 960 K GRU

scuff plate : left 8P3 853 491 K 01C right 8P3 853 492 K 01C

I'm afraid I dont seem to have the part numbers for a 4 door S3 on mine.

Last edited:
Ref discussion last nite on etka front, update it already, lol

If you get really stuck and your parts guy is proving to be useless ( most are )
Ring Dave @ Stoke Audi , i got my side skirts and the other bits from him , so he knows what you are talking about tell him you are on here and you may even get 10% off i did.

Hi crypric23,

Would you say the transformation was worth it? :)

As its alot of work :)

Would anyone be able to assist on the part numbers?

thanks

The part numbers are above ^ of course it is worth it.. It's not really a lot of work.
You buy the parts and have them fitted , where is the hard work.
Just ring dave at stoke audi tell him what you are doing job done.
You are really making it hard for your self

with regards to the exhaust any modifications required?

Tried giving Dave a call he aint in till monday.

Have you got any more pictures of the modifications ?

i'm reading between the lines - exit point is off so options are either cut defuser or cut n re-weld exhaust exit point. I opted for s-line defuser LOL

Car is already a Sline 170...

wont look right without the complete package.
If i have to change the exhaust system then its going to go over my allocated budget.

Last edited:
For a 3 door:

sills : left 8P3 853 859 GRU right 8P3 853 860 GRU

wing caps : left 8P0 853 579 GRU right 8P0 853 580 GRU

Door edges : left 8P3 853 959 K GRU right 8P3 853 960 K GRU

scuff plate : left 8P3 853 491 K 01C right 8P3 853 492 K 01C

I'm afraid I dont seem to have the part numbers for a 4 door S3 on mine.

Will this parts fit to A3 8PA ( facelift models) ?

Crypric23,

Can you confirm that the exhaust does not needs to be altered?

Do you have a picture of your rear before you sold the car?

thanks

Thanks N8 for the tips etc...

While N8 tries to find the cost of the additional parts:

Did anyone have any luck with the needed part numbers?

Thanks

Give Dave at stoke audi a ring mate, they deliver & he is more than happy to help you get parts, he knows what he's doing afaik & isnt shy of looking further than the end of his nose unlike other parts departments I keep reading about.

Hi,

I actually gave Dave a ring but no luck as yet.

Really good thread folks, im thinking of doing an S3 llok a like conversion to my S3 this has helped a lot,

mando

Just to add to the thread , here are some before and after pics , ( Changed wheels as well )
Pictures courtesy of N8 ( Hi Nath ) Detail also done by Nath , looked amazing pictures say it all , full thread on the amazing detail here.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?80010-Jimmeh-N8-KOW-vs-A3-Sportback

Before the skirts and S3 rear end.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

And after.

22-1.jpg

Shiny !

9-1.jpg

Two A3's kissing !

23-1.jpg