Facelift S3 - Soft Paint

Fozzer

Reaction score
anyome else thinks the S3 has soft paint (Navarro Blue) compared to my previous Audi’s Oyster Grey, Silver and Daytona Grey.
Seems to create light scratches at the slightest touch.

My Ara blue seems to be similar, stone chips galore and when polishing and waxing the other day noticed loads of minor scratches on the lower area of the car

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JDHOWELLS and Rolly12
anyome else thinks the S3 has soft paint (Navarro Blue) compared to my previous Audi’s Oyster Grey, Silver and Daytona Grey.
Seems to create light scratches at the slightest touch.
Or it could just be that the other colours hide them better!

I came from black to white, don't notice much at all on the white, when I had the black I was always seeing things! They are probably there on the white, but I just need to look closer!!! :)

I think the pearlescent colours do hide scratches better but even looking at these paint colours in the Sun or under an intense light source didn’t see much evidence compared with this metallic colour

My sister in law has a few noticeable ones on her Golf as well, that’s white silver. VAG paint was always known for being hard, maybe they’re cutting costs by putting less hardener in it nowadays :tearsofjoy:

Not an expert in paint by any means but my Navarra blue seems very susceptible to swirls. Given up really. My 50 year old Morris Minor has better paint. It’s an Eco thing I think. My Morris is also blue by the way but a lighter blue called petrol grey.

Last edited:
Not an expert in paint by any means but my Navarra blue seems very susceptible to swirls. Given up really. My 50 year old Morris Minor has better paint. It’s an Eco thing I think. My Morris is also blue by the way but a lighter blue called petrol grey.

Navarro blue is very nice colour though. Saw one today in the flesh for the first time, thinking of changing from Mythos Black to it now.

I had an independent paint examination done on my S1 years ago due to paint flaking off and chips every where on the car.

There findings were that the paint was hard. He carried out a PH test, this involved using various pencils HB,2B etc on a inconspicuous place.

Reactions: NevMan
Audi's Clear coat on its cars is renowned for being hard as are German brands ,dark paints like Navarra Blue do need extra care when washing and detailing so go buy a cheap dual action polisher which will in turn solve the problem of swirls and scratches

Reactions: MikeParkin, Andy F and NevMan
Personally I think Ara Blue is loads better than previous colours I’ve had. My previous car was a Brilliant Black A3 and that was a nightmare, all you had to do was look at it and a scratch appeared, bird poo left horrible marks too that burned on in a few hours!

But on my current car I’ve hardly any stone chips and I’ve not noticed any scratches, although I’ve had mine ceramic coated twice in 2 years maybe that makes a difference?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Audi have always been know for hard paint, although eac
Audi's Clear coat on its cars is renowned for being hard as are German brands ,dark paints like Navarra Blue do need extra care when washing and detailing so go buy a cheap dual action polisher which will in turn solve the problem of swirls and scratches

Speak to any good detailer and they will say you cannot take for granted that Audi Paint is hard, you should always do a test spot.
Already got a DA bud, but being careful ie: power washer, pre wash, 2 bucket method, merino wool wash mitt and pat dry with drying towel helps to prevent the problem in the first place.

Last edited:
Audi have always been know for hard paint, although eac

Speak to any good detailer and they will say you cannot take for granted that Audi Paint is hard, you should always do a test spot.
Already got a DA bud, but being careful ie: power washer, pre wash, 2 bucket method, merino wool wash mitt and pat dry with drying towel helps to prevent the problem in the first place.
Their metallic and pearlescent paint colours do have a hard clear coat but for whatever reason their Flat paint colours including my own is softer and l don't have any visible swirls or fine scratches on my car, as its been mentioned a ceramic coating will help to prevent the paint marking but won't stop the paint marking, if you've used the DA on your car surely you should have found out how easy or difficult it is to correct the fine swirls or scratches?
My Mrs car has a similar paint colour to Navarra and it has the softest clear coat l have ever come across ie Ford's Deep impact blue but it's a easy paint to correct easier to correct than my paint, choosing a dark blue well it's much the same as choosing a black paint and we all what they're like to maintain even with the detailing toys

Reactions: NevMan
I have a car in Cosmos Blue it seems to be picking up stone chips down to the white primer like crazy, on the front and front wings. I was told by my bodyshop guy that this is just down to the new eco paints they have to use same reason why lots of new vehicles have terrible orange peel. I am still bit stunned by it though, I have bought a smart repair kit, but I have kind or resigned myself that the car will never be a tidy example. The colour itself is just odd when clean it is an amazing green/blue in the sun though it seems to pick swirls out like crazy, then the moment it is a little bit dirty it is just like a dark blue really odd..... would never pick it again, didn't have a choice for availability in the timeframe i needed the car this time though.

is the soft paint not something to do with manufacturers moving to water based paints?
I found my last a6 with about 30ks had more chips on the front than my old golf did with 185k.
Noticed a few chips on my ara blue already with 2k on the clock on the front/bonnet and the side skirts.
Anyone tried the clear vinyl type strips that goes along the front and bits of the sides of the car?

is the soft paint not something to do with manufacturers moving to water based paints?
I found my last a6 with about 30ks had more chips on the front than my old golf did with 185k.
Noticed a few chips on my ara blue already with 2k on the clock on the front/bonnet and the side skirts.
Anyone tried the clear vinyl type strips that goes along the front and bits of the sides of the car?
Same as my Ara blue then. Although more miles on mine, resigned myself to the fact always gonna get loads. But seem to have loads on the front bumper.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rolly12

Think you are right on water based paints but they seem to be adding more water these days LOL
Paint Protection Film (PPF) not tried it myself but many do Put it on low slung motors
Can also be self healing so a good idea

Think you are right on water based paints but they seem to be adding more water these days LOL
Paint Protection Film (PPF) not tried it myself but many do Put it on low slung motors
Can also be self healing so a good idea

On my a6 there was film at the bottom of the front doors. Definitely needs it on the s3 as that’s where one of my chips are. Was looking for around the rear bumper/arches and front bits. Mudflaps have helped I think as I haven’t found any more since I fitted them.
Seen some pre cut vinyl kits before but not sure how they will look or their durability. Might be something to look into if it gets any worse.
http://www.paintshield.co.uk/

I’ve had my A, B and C pillars wrapped but that to stop the piano black pillars showing swirls and scratches. People always seem to handle them to close the doors
Cost me £100 and very happy with the results

I’ve had my A, B and C pillars wrapped but that to stop the piano black pillars showing swirls and scratches. People always seem to handle them to close the doors
Cost me £100 and very happy with the results
Breathe on the piano black and it scratches :wink:
Wish I did that before I picked the car up.

Breathe on the piano black and it scratches :wink:
Wish I did that before I picked the car up.

You could always have them machined then wrapped at the same time

Reactions: AlS3BE
A Soft/hard clear coat won't make any difference if a stone hits the car at all

Reactions: Rolly12
I have a car in Cosmos Blue it seems to be picking up stone chips down to the white primer like crazy, on the front and front wings. I was told by my bodyshop guy that this is just down to the new eco paints they have to use same reason why lots of new vehicles have terrible orange peel. I am still bit stunned by it though, I have bought a smart repair kit, but I have kind or resigned myself that the car will never be a tidy example. The colour itself is just odd when clean it is an amazing green/blue in the sun though it seems to pick swirls out like crazy, then the moment it is a little bit dirty it is just like a dark blue really odd..... would never pick it again, didn't have a choice for availability in the timeframe i needed the car this time though.

I'm having the same problem on my Daytona grey S3. I've only done 500 miles in it myself (26,500 on the clock) and the amount of stone chips on the bonnet is ridiculous.

Annoying thing is I had a proper look round the car both inside the showroom and outside and the paint looked in great condition. I've only noticed the chips since I've had the car winter prepped and detailed. I am wondering whether the garage I purchased from did a very quick job of covering the stone chips which has washed away once the car was detailed? Feel slightly mugged off if i'm honest!

A Soft/hard clear coat won't make any difference if a stone hits the car at all

Surely a harder coat will help at least a little with stone chips.

I'm having the same problem on my Daytona grey S3. I've only done 500 miles in it myself (26,500 on the clock) and the amount of stone chips on the bonnet is ridiculous.

Annoying thing is I had a proper look round the car both inside the showroom and outside and the paint looked in great condition. I've only noticed the chips since I've had the car winter prepped and detailed. I am wondering whether the garage I purchased from did a very quick job of covering the stone chips which has washed away once the car was detailed? Feel slightly mugged off if i'm honest!

I’ve used ag radiant wax and it’s amazing how much that can cover up especially on dark coloured cars, know a few car dealers that uses this stuff on used cars to make them pop a bit for the sale. Last a couple of months and it washes out. Only annoying thing is it only comes in 5L cans. Only used like 2-300 on my a6 and that was doing it twice. Got enough to last me a lifetime.

50Cal Cover Up Filler Glaze is the same and does as it’s title states

Last edited:
Surely a harder coat will help at least a little with stone chips.
Nope my sepang S3 was dreadful for stone chips and that had hard a harder clear coat than my Voodoo
Cornel touch up pen is the best way to touch up chips, i have tried all the other stone chip repair kits