S3 Sport Mode , What does it Actually do?

moleskn1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't really read up much on this but what does sport mode actually do? I find it just takes it to the red line but if i plant my foot in "drive" it takes it all the way to the line anyway?

Does it effect the suspension or anything other than this?

Also can tuning companies remap sports mode only?

I assume you mean S position on a s-tronic box? It's not really sport mode in the sense of car dynamics, like on newer cars... It holds lower gear at lower speeds to keep engine rpm higher and will downshift sooner if you're slowing down. It seems to keep the rpm no lower than 3k as that's where the turbo can deliver decent boost and result in close to instant acceleration if you need it. Not very economical, but is a good way to make progress if you're in a hurry.

A tuner can adjust DSG ecu map for specific mode if I remember. The best DSG mod is to remove nanny option in full manual and disable auto-shift up/down when using the paddles, thus enable full manual mode.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

It may also reduce traction control parameters to enhance speed?

It may also reduce traction control parameters to enhance speed?

Don't think so, but I'm not an expert, so may be wrong. From what I understood ESP and ASR can either be enabled (default) or disabled by holding the button for a few seconds (this may depends on production year), but there aren't any hidden modes based on gearbox mode. I found that TC is best left turned off if you want to drive fast as all it does is cause your brakes to overheat and ******* acceleration.

Sport mode just holds the current gear to higher rev rate than if you were in normal drive mode. There are a lot of variables that dictate when each upshift happens such as weight of the car , traction available, throttle pedal position, gradient of the road. You can also select launch control in Sport mode.
From what I have read, tuners can remap the box but full auto is disabled.
Suspension is not affected by engaging Sport mode on 8P S3's. May well be a change on newer 8V S3's and RS3's. RS4's with active suspension were switchable in Sport mode.

My mechanic has a 8V and he has the option of Sport mode on the DSG box as well as dynamic on the drive select. The "maximum" attack being dynamic on the drive select and sport on the box.

As said on the 8P it just makes the box hold the gear longer before changing up.

Hey guys,

Haven't really read up much on this but what does sport mode actually do? I find it just takes it to the red line but if i plant my foot in "drive" it takes it all the way to the line anyway?

Does it effect the suspension or anything other than this?

Also can tuning companies remap sports mode only?

Sports works as the above descriptions so I won't repeat that.
Can't see why you would want only sports mode remapped?
I have a Shark DSG remap and it's worth it. I wanted it as I had the engine remap anyway at the same time.
As leshkin mentions above, the DSG remap makes it act like a manual box. It changes gear when you tell it to and allows you to plant the 'loud' pedal without it doing anything other than giving WOT. The auto-gear change is removed and this is where the 'full manual' mode comes from, the hard rev limiter is also increased slightly IIRC.
I also had the D mode tweaked as well. I live in Notts so at 30 mph the box always went into 6th. This was ***** as the minute I wanted more speed, to get to 40 mph, it changed down to 5th then sped up then 6th. So on mine at 30 mph it stays in 5th.
The gear change at 40 mph was also tweaked to stop it changing back down too early to 5th. So this makes driving along Notts ring road (and all of those speed cameras) a lot more of a calmer drive without the box changing up and down unnecessarily which it did before.
For anyone driving the ring road every day, the DSG remap is worth it just for the changes it makes.
For me personally, the DSG map was a superb change to the car and how it drives.
Manual mode is stunning. Foot flat to floor on 'loud' pedal and it takes off. Then you get those awesome S-Tronic rapid gear changes and away it goes. Stunning, simply stunning and that is 'just' with my Stage 1 remap. I love it.
Flick it back to D and i cruise along calmly.
I have owned my car from new for 5 years and I have never used Sports mode apart from to see what it does! LOL
I can see how Sports mode would be good on track though, I would like to try it then.

Reactions: leshkin