Super Sport Seats
LED Lights
Magnetic Ride
B&O
Black Styling Pack
Privacy Glass
Adaptive Cruise
Technology Pack with Phone Prep

I am coming from an A4 3.0 Tdi Quattro Avant as I want something a bit more fun.
I think I have specified pretty much everything then I saw a review of a Golf R Estate and just wondered if anyone had considered the R even if in hatchback form. I have priced up an R estate and its pretty similar to the A3 Sportback although there are a few things such as LED lights not available on the R.
Part of me is concerned about the loss of space going from the A4 to the A3 which would easier in the R.
Interested in anyones experience of either.

Golf R estate is certainly no looker IMHO :puke2:

golf-r-sportwagen-side_0.jpg

Waits for the Golf R v S3 debate ...
yawn.gif

Reactions: Scottyg
5 door S3 or 5 door Golf R ................... but noooooooooooooooooo to the looks of the Golf R ESTATE !!!!

Reactions: Scottyg
You'd be mad to buy the old XF brand new now. It's also not comparable to a Golf R Estate since it completes with the A6, E class and 5 series segment.

Was just loking at OPs spec and although it perhaps competes with these bigger cars, its a similar price to the S3 he's looking at.

Very tempted by this next time around.

Sure you drop the refinement and extensive options list of the S3 but you go from 325L of boot-space to 605L. Given that Skoda don't offer a similarly powerful MQB car, this does fill a niche.

Not interested in a Jag XF, too big, if I was I would probably go for an A6 BiTDi.

Want something more nimble. The current S4 is too similar to my Avant and handling is a bit so so.
Was going to wait for the new model S4 but that is 12-18 months away.

I agree with comments on the looks of the R estate although often you can only really tell when you see them for real.

Have read through the R v S3 thread (well most of it) and it seems that R has marginally better handling but interior quality is not quite as good.

Does anyone here have magnetic ride, and if so, is it worth it?

Drove 3 golf Rs (3/5 door auto/manual) before my S3 S/B. Golf interior is not the same quality and looks kinda cheap. Other than that, cars a very similar in feel when driving. Golfs simulated engine noise is MUCH louder than the Audis..... I kinda liked it!
However, couldnt get a deal I was happy with on the golf abd got a fantastic deal on the s3....

Its a good spec, perhaps you need to drive both and make your own mind up? Doubt any one on here has driven a R estate though.

But the chosen colour, have you realy thought seriously about that?

Reactions: Psyman79
If you need the space then yes, that R looks like a decent option. The Skoda Octavia vRS estate could also be worth a look, a friend of mine has one and I was very impressed with it; positively cavernous in space terms, a very high quality and 'solid' feel to the interior and it goes like a scalded cat.

I am also comparing both, and will takes ages to decide. I know the 8v is the better car ,but I have to say I think the 8p is better looking.
when it comes decision time I will look at the best deal for the spec I want.
might also look at the Jag XE

I thought about waiting for the golf r estate. But couldn't wait so ordered an s3. Looking again at the pictures in the thread reassured me I'd made the right choice.

My mate works for VW, loaned me a R for the week and was tempted but just say to yourself out load now, "I drive a VW" now say " I drive an Audi" .... Feel better?

Also R has a horrendous waiting period at the moment.

But the chosen colour, have you realy thought seriously about that?

I have a soft spot for blue, currently Scuba Blue, so Sepang does it for me.
I do find the Scuba shows swirl marks which I dont like, is Sepang similar in that respect.

I found this picture in another thread:
3614cc0155685312b51cc3e20a624b33 zpsf8ac173f

Makes me think Nogaro maybe, as an alternative, anyone seen one in Nogaro.
But is it worth another £1500.
Estoril is dark like Scuba.

I do find the Scuba shows swirl marks which I dont like, is Sepang similar in that respect.

I found this picture in another thread:View attachment 57350

Apparently Sepang is difficult to look after but no worse than black, Estoril isn't available now in the UK at least and Nogaro as nice as it is looks best with the black pack so need to add that in your calc's, would be cheaper to just get Sepang and wrap it to Nogaro or matt sepang for less.

I think most folk would agree that even sports estates have to take a bit of a 'hit' in the looks department compared with their saloon/hatch counterparts..................

.................having said that, the Golf Estate looks like it's been beaten close to death with the ugly stick!! A bit too much of a 'hit' in my book ;)

Apparently Sepang is difficult to look after but no worse than black, Estoril isn't available now in the UK at least and Nogaro as nice as it is looks best with the black pack so need to add that in your calc's, would be cheaper to just get Sepang and wrap it to Nogaro or matt sepang for less.

Would be cheaper still to get a free colour and wrap that though ;)

Golf R estate is certainly no looker IMHO :puke2:

golf-r-sportwagen-side_0.jpg
I agree that its a tad bland in looks, but you can't really argue with the principle. If you don't want a car as big as a Passat or S4 Avant (which is the closest AUDI equivalent in terms of size - I know not in boot space - the R estate is quoted at ~600litres or so - which is A6 Avant size) its a good idea. Audi are kind of missing a trick here as similar cars are offered with all the other marques which VW own; VW, Skoda, Seat all do a "small fast estate". Personally I think Audi should make an S3 Estate...

There are people who need an Estate. There are people who like fast cars. The Golf R Estate looks to be a great idea. Not as nice as the S3 Sportback in the looks department and not as high quality inside. These points have been discussed at length in the debate thread. If I was looking for an Estate, because I needed the space, The Golf would be top of my list. Time will tell how high the sales figures are etc.

Seriously considering placing an order for an S3 to the following spec:

Stronic
Sepang Blue
Hill Hold
Super Sport Seats
LED Lights
Magnetic Ride
B&O
Black Styling Pack
Privacy Glass
Adaptive Cruise
Technology Pack with Phone Prep

I am coming from an A4 3.0 Tdi Quattro Avant as I want something a bit more fun.
I think I have specified pretty much everything then I saw a review of a Golf R Estate and just wondered if anyone had considered the R even if in hatchback form. I have priced up an R estate and its pretty similar to the A3 Sportback although there are a few things such as LED lights not available on the R.
Part of me is concerned about the loss of space going from the A4 to the A3 which would easier in the R.
Interested in anyones experience of either.

I wouldn't bother with the mag ride or the LED lights... the mag ride on the S3 is no better than it was on my TT's. As to the LED lights? The standard Xenons are excellent, so why bother going to the expense? Can't see it myself I'm afraid. Otherwise, it's a no brainer, get the S3. That Golf R estate looks like a dig's dinner to my eyes. The main differentiator will be Audi vs VW dealers, the less desirable interior and tech (sat nav, etc) in the golf and the price difference in favour of the golf. Oh and the badge, which for many does matter. If you need more space than the S3 sportback has, then I'd get an S4 Avant...

I know its been discussed, but as Silure Mark mentioned thats not about the estate. I love my A3, but there are times when more boot space is required. I couldn't at the time justify an A4 Avant. The ideal halfway house would be an A3/S3 size estate. Skoda, VW and SEAT have all shown that a "small estate" can be done without compromising on looks/performance - the cupra 280 st estate looks very good and has had excellent reviews. All I'm saying is that Audi need to offer something similar...

Golf r sportwagen side 0
1368747424265cached

WHAT THE FLYING F**CK is that!

Reactions: monopole, Simon L and Marino85

I found this picture in another thread:View attachment 57350

I like the dark blue. Estoril ------ Very Nice!

Reactions: Louay
Personally I really hate the look of the estate R! 100% the sport back.

And no I'm not a Golf hater, I very nearly bought one.. Would have if the dealer wasn't so ridiculous.

Reactions: Louay
Yeah, I think I started it. But that's not a debate about the R Estate vs S3 Sportback...

but if you look at this,

there no difference between the R and the Station Wagon R, except one is uglier :)

Its fine from the front, up until the C pillar. Everything behind that must have been designed by the apprentices....