Facelift S3 Sports Mode

Fozzer

Reaction score
Why can’t you change gear with the paddles in Sports Mode please.

You can.....the paddle shift can be used in all modes - D, S or M.
Although I have to admit you've got me wondering now...only ever using the paddle shift while in D.

Yes, I think the same - should always work. Has to be in manual mode to be fully manual. If in auto mode the box with drop back to auto after a while.

The paddles do work in sport, the only time I ever use them is in sport .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks newbie to S3 so will check this out again.

OK well I have just checked again and if I’m in D mode then pull the gear lever down it goes into S mode but when I use the paddles it then goes back into M mode showing on the dashboard
So In my case S mode can only be used in auto is this right please

OK well I have just checked again and if I’m in D mode then pull the gear lever down it goes into S mode but when I use the paddles it then goes back into M mode showing on the dashboard
As far as I’m aware S is an auto mode but can be interrupted by the paddles for gear shifts, if you then don’t interact with the paddles it’ll then default back into S mode. Same theory applies to D.

S holds the revs longer than D, if you use the paddles you obviously then control the shift points yourself.

Reactions: Jassyo06

No when you pull the lever into S mode and then use the paddles or the tiptronic box you are now in manual S mode rather than manual D mode

Best way is if you sit in D mode the revs are about 950 if you pull down into S mode revs go up to about 1100 - if you then move the lever across to manual the revs stay at 1100 therefore you are now in manual S mode

Hope that helps

No matter what mode you're in if you use the paddles it'll say M on the dash, meaning manual. If you don't use the paddles for a while it'll go back to full auto (S/D). If you want full manual, flick back into sport then move the gearstick to the left, the car is now fully manual. It'll only upshift for you if you redline a gear or when slowing down and it needs the next gear.

Sparks43 I think that’s a good way to describe it ‘manual Sports Mode’

If you want full manual, flick back into sport then move the gearstick to the left, the car is now fully manual.

So are you saying that if the gear level is full down to the inverted triangle in Sports Mode you can then move the gear-lever to the left

That is an error...move to the right., not to left for full manual mode

Here is the Audi manual description of use for the tiptronic auto transmission

Gear selection with selector lever
The tiptronic mode can be selected either with the vehicle stationary or on the move.
From position D/S, push the selector lever to the right into the tiptronic selector gate to activate tiptronic mode. As soon as the automatic gearbox has activated this mode, the letter Mwill appear on the display Fig. ►; e.g. M4 means that the vehicle is in 4th gear.
Briefly push the selector lever forwards -+- Fig. 109► to change up a gear.
Briefly pull the selector lever back -–- to change down a gear.
Gear selection with paddle levers*
You can use the paddle levers when the selector lever is in position D/S or M (= tiptronic selector gate).
To shift up a gear, briefly pull the paddle lever -+- Fig. 110►.
To shift down a gear, briefly pull the paddle lever -–-.
If you use the paddle levers when the selector lever is in positions D/S, the gearbox will remain in manual mode for a while. To switch back immediately to automatic mode after changing gears manually, pull the paddle lever -+- Fig. 110► for approximately 1 second.
If you want to use the paddle levers permanently, push the selector lever from position D/S to the right into the tiptronic selector gate.
The gearbox automatically shifts up or down into the next gear before a critical engine speed is reached.
The gearbox only allows manual gear changes if the engine speed would remain within the permissible range.

It is truly amazing what you can find in the manual.....you know that book in the glovebox...Yes, I am being cheeky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
That is an error...move to the right., not to left for full manual mode

Here is the Audi manual description of use for the tiptronic auto transmission

Gear selection with selector lever
The tiptronic mode can be selected either with the vehicle stationary or on the move.
From position D/S, push the selector lever to the right into the tiptronic selector gate to activate tiptronic mode. As soon as the automatic gearbox has activated this mode, the letter Mwill appear on the display Fig. ►; e.g. M4 means that the vehicle is in 4th gear.
Briefly push the selector lever forwards -+- Fig. 109► to change up a gear.
Briefly pull the selector lever back -–- to change down a gear.
Gear selection with paddle levers*
You can use the paddle levers when the selector lever is in position D/S or M (= tiptronic selector gate).
To shift up a gear, briefly pull the paddle lever -+- Fig. 110►.
To shift down a gear, briefly pull the paddle lever -–-.
If you use the paddle levers when the selector lever is in positions D/S, the gearbox will remain in manual mode for a while. To switch back immediately to automatic mode after changing gears manually, pull the paddle lever -+- Fig. 110► for approximately 1 second.
If you want to use the paddle levers permanently, push the selector lever from position D/S to the right into the tiptronic selector gate.
The gearbox automatically shifts up or down into the next gear before a critical engine speed is reached.
The gearbox only allows manual gear changes if the engine speed would remain within the permissible range.

It is truly amazing what you can find in the manual.....you know that book in the glovebox...Yes, I am being cheeky.

It’s left in a UK car, I just had to give it a slap to check..

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
In the UK you move to the left.
Source: Have a UK RHD car

So are you saying that if the gear level is full down to the inverted triangle in Sports Mode you can then move the gear-lever to the left
You can move the gear selector to the left when you're in Drive, or after you put it into sport mode. In order to give yourself full manual mode, so to speak.
You can then upshift/downshift using the paddles, or my flicking the gearstick forward and back as well, whichever you prefer.

Reactions: Fozzer
Thanks everyone for all your help
I know it’s to the left for U.K. cars but never tried doing it when it’s in S mode so will give it a try

I know it’s to the left for U.K. cars but never tried doing it when it’s in S mode
Me neither.....in fact didn't even know it was possible. :D
For me Sport mode is already maximum attack so I don't personally feel the need to change manually when in this mode. I only ever use the paddle shifters now and again when in D mode.....to downshift a gear when the gearbox has it too high and the boost gauge is lit up when trying to accelerate.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Me bad :sorry: ....I thought it would be the same for LH and RH drive cars. Ron, try the manual sport or D mode. The S mode manual offers faster gear shifts and throttle/engine mapping over the D mode manual it is a much better way of controlling shifts up and down with either paddles or gear shift. Like a manual transmission with no clutch. I use it on twisty roads and when I want some control in bad weather, snow etc. I then use D mode manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn, Adam14, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
No matter how the sport mode is selected its guff i have never used it after the first experience with it

Reactions: Andy F