S3 Stage2/+ and BCS Exhaust Options/Advice please.

phateuk

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm after some advice please on modding my S3. I've got a 2012 S3 Sportback /w DSG and after 12 months of stock I now want to upgrade. I've read loads of the threads on here and also the excellent build thread by @samuelh_888 and have a few queries if I could please get some recommendations or general tips from you guys.

I've already fitted:
- Racineline Performance Intake (with Forge Intake Return Hose): https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-.../racingline-intake-system-audi-s3-8p-quattro/
- GFB DV+

I now want to get the exhaust done and need to be sure it's going to suit my needs.
I don't want it to be excessively loud on cold starts or at low speeds so I don't annoy all the neighbours or when driving my son around, but for it to be loud and burble/crackle when I want it to. I'd want more than just the usual DSG fart if I'm honest, somewhere between stock and the machine gun sound of a Supra with those louder bangs on the overrun when on it, just not 24/7.
I figured a valved system with a sports cat is going to give me the best compromise and have inevitably started looking at BCS Powervalve.

Spoke to @BCS Nige today and am looking at the full TBE with 100 cell Cat. I'm not sure between the Sports Vs WRC varieties though. Am leaning towards the Sport but would get the WRC if it's not like a race car on tickover or when cruising if anyone has any experience here.
Also is fitting an on/off button/fob possible with a BCS system does anyone know?

In terms of remaps and end result, I'd be happy with 330-360bhp. I can't see myself ever wanting to go much further than that, I've seen my mate take his S3 to the edge of oblivion with 440bhp+ and every possible modification and that's too far for me as a daily driver..
I was initially thinking go straight to S2+ including DSG Stage 2, but now I'm not so sure after I read that @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev got 337bhp out of @samuelh_888 's S3 with just an intake and BCS TBE I think - correct me if I'm wrong here guys.
I'd be happy with that I recon and would save myself the expense of the Intercooler/HPFP/RS4 Fuel Valve just for a few more bhp and the added £2-3k cost. I doubt I'd be able to do those bits myself..
Ideally I'd like some switchable maps too. A stock one with lesser noise levels, a full power map, and maybe one with some added crackle and bangs on the overrun (nothing insane though .
There's also the DSG maps.. Non interested with launch control, did that enough times in my old 2009 Leon FR 2.0 TSI and got that our of my system already, but would get the DSG map if it'll be worth it for other reasons..
My S3 doesn't have the cruise control option and it's expensive to retrofit so I believe there's some sort of pedal select option, but in a perfect world I'd love something I can control from an Android device on the fly such as my head unit if that's possible. Would rather spend the cash on that which I'd use more than a few extra bhp but open to suggestion. I've never modded a car to this extent before so am not sure exactly what to expect and don't want to fall too far down the rabbit hole!

Appreciate anyone taking the time to read and respond.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm after some advice please on modding my S3. I've got a 2012 S3 Sportback /w DSG and after 12 months of stock I now want to upgrade. I've read loads of the threads on here and also the excellent build thread by @samuelh_888 and have a few queries if I could please get some recommendations or general tips from you guys.

I've already fitted:
- Racineline Performance Intake (with Forge Intake Return Hose): https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-.../racingline-intake-system-audi-s3-8p-quattro/
- GFB DV+

I now want to get the exhaust done and need to be sure it's going to suit my needs.
I don't want it to be excessively loud on cold starts or at low speeds so I don't annoy all the neighbours or when driving my son around, but for it to be loud and burble/crackle when I want it to. I'd want more than just the usual DSG fart if I'm honest, somewhere between stock and the machine gun sound of a Supra with those louder bangs on the overrun when on it, just not 24/7.
I figured a valved system with a sports cat is going to give me the best compromise and have inevitably started looking at BCS Powervalve.

Spoke to @BCS Nige today about exhausts and am looking at the full TBE with 100 cell Cat. I'm not sure between the Sports Vs WRC varieties though. Am leaning towards the Sport but would get the WRC if it's not like a race car on tickover or when cruising if anyone has any experience here.
Also is fitting an on/off button/fob possible with a BCS system does anyone know?

In terms of remaps and end result, I'd be happy with 330-360bhp. I can't see myself ever wanting to go much further than that, I've seen my mate take his S3 to the edge of oblivion with 440bhp+ and every possible modification and that's too far for me as a daily driver..
I was initially thinking go straight to S2+ including DSG Stage 2, but now I'm not so sure after I read that @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev got 337bhp out of @samuelh_888 's S3 with just an intake and BCS TBE I think - correct me if I'm wrong here guys.
I'd be happy with that I recon and would save myself the expense of the Intercooler/HPFP/RS4 Fuel Valve just for a few more bhp and the added £2-3k cost. I doubt I'd be able to do those bits myself..
Ideally I'd like some switchable maps too. A stock one with lesser noise levels, a full power map, and maybe one with some added crackle and bangs on the overrun (nothing insane though .
There's also the DSG maps.. Non interested with launch control, did that enough times in my old 2009 Leon FR 2.0 TSI and got that our of my system already, but would get the DSG map if it'll be worth it for other reasons..
My S3 doesn't have the cruise control option and it's expensive to retrofit so I believe there's some sort of pedal select option, but in a perfect world I'd love something I can control from an Android device on the fly such as my head unit if that's possible. Would rather spend the cash on that which I'd use more than a few extra bhp but open to suggestion. I've never modded a car to this extent before so am not sure exactly what to expect and don't want to fall too far down the rabbit hole!

Appreciate anyone taking the time to read and respond.

Thanks guys.

Stage 2 + figure are normal 370-390max with an I/C ans HPFP and 350-360 without the i/c which is pretty much just stage 2 im.running a stage 1 @ 325bhp with only a res delete and revo intake.

The way power valve system works is it uses.a valve which is operatipn via boost so as you hit a certain psi the ave will open and it'll ve louder. So you have no manual control over it. I was quoted 1800 for a custome 3.5" decat and 3" all the way back with electronic valves to open and close my exhaust at my pleasure by duestech which is all custome work. ( too expensive, yet...)

Btw launching a FWD car isnt the same.as a awd launch

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998
Great post, happy my thread helps!

So, if you’re going to spend the money on a BCS (which I absolutely recommend) When get the WRC. The additional noise is only on boost so your cold start and general driving is fine. Custom will likely cost you more than a BCS but it won’t have the R&D behind it so was personally never an option for me.

As the BCS is boost activated there is no electronic solenoid for you to open/close, the boost manages this.

The main difference between Stg2 and 2+ is the additional torque you get plus a little more bhp. However the additional cost to do this is up to a couple of £k if you need a clutch, which you don’t. You don’t really need an aftermarket intercooler either so just a HPFP and FPRV.

R-Tech can give you switchable maps are Stg 2 which you change with your pedals but not for Stg2+. Nothing via Android unless you go APR.

They can also give you pops and bangs but this didn’t interest me (it’s a James Blunt thing IMO) - I don’t think you can get pops and bangs with a Cat fitted and it will blood this out; so if you want Supra bangs then possibly get a Supra... If you go R-Tech, get your DSG mapped at the same time and do injector service and walnut blasting. They offer a package for all of this.

Reactions: ch1z64 and phateuk
Thanks guys for your comments.

So the lack of solenoid control over the Powervalve seems like a non issue if it only kicks in under boost.

@samuelh_888 So I saw on your thread that you had a BCS system fitted initially when you was in the UK and then fit the WRC section fitted after you moved to NZ. Can I ask what you had before and what it was like Vs the WRC? How loud is it when just driving normally? I don't want it to be antisocial and excessively loud under normal driving is all. What sort of cat do you have? Do you have any videos or clips of the sound your S3 makes by any chance, would love to have a listen to get an idea of what I might end up with.
Haha not after Supra style gunfire that's a bit too much but a loud crackle and pop or two when giving it the beans would be ideal.
You also mentioned in a post shortly after your first remap at Rick's about a flashing ODB2 tool. Could you please elaborate on what that is and what it gives?

Sounds like I could get 350-360bhp then without the intercooler and just the HPFP with RS4 FPRV. If so I'd get that done by @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev when getting the maps cos I'm based in Stockport and round the corner from Rick's so it'd be rude not to use him when he's so highly rated and so close to me. He did tell me a few months ago he does switchable maps using the pedals, I was just hoping for something a little more high tech but I could live with that.

I have the latest version of the BCS TBE on my S3. Mine is what they call the prestige system with the Siamese silencers underneath. On the motorway there is no drone and it is quiet unless giving it some beans.
If I am in the open without anything to bounce the noise of the exhaust off it might be a bit quiet but the sound is very rewarding between buildings, in a tunnel etc.
I had talked to Nige at the end of last year about having the WRC pipe and he told me about the sport section that they were developing.
This has a mini in line silencer in addition to the “dynamic drone eliminator”.
I seriously considered one of these but then lock down took over.
A chap on here called mechanic 69 had fitted the sport pipe to his prestige system and he told me that the sound had become more aggressive like a snarl which appealed to me.
I was put off the WRC in that I was talking to a chap with a Cupra. Same TFSI engine. He told me proudly that he had a straight through system. However when driving off it sounded awful and loud. Concerned that the WRC system on full boost would be similar as essentially it is a straight through system as the back box is largely bypassed.
I have the 3.5” downpipe and the 100 cell cat.
I would recommend having the uprated hpfp as it gives fueling headroom and releases more midrange torque.
I would go to RTech as they really are experts and offer lots of other services to assist the smooth running of your car. Depending on mileage, you may need a walnut blast and an injector clean. A dodgy injector with a weak spray pattern on a tuned engine can cause damage to a piston which is costly to fix.

I’ve been over to R-Tech few weeks back, had injector clean, walnut blast, few sensors, oil change and sump clean, haldex device etc, car is running so much better and I didn’t even think it was running too bad before (it wasn’t perfect, kinda why I booked in, half for prevention too really)

But it’s insane how much better it starts, idles, runs, revs and pulls, it’s well worth the money, so happy with the service

I had the system with the dual centre resonators and although it was nice on boost I just liked the idea of the WRC. The resonated and WRC are the same off boost but the WRC has a slightly edgier note. On boost it’s nice and controlled, not straight through chav noise.

B331637F 224D 4094 9826 F0CAEBC8899A

3ADAD016 9A5C 4C59 975C 664E6A026526

Reactions: BCS Nige, ch1z64 and e9_mustii
Thanks for all the replies with info and advice gents, most appreciated.

Spoke to @BCS Nige today and placed an order for the BCS TBE with 100 cell cat. Looking at an install in August sometime as the first available date.
Still a little undecided on the WRC Vs Sport but Nige said he's got a S3 8p booked in for July which is getting the Sport option so will do some videos. Hopefully it's someone on here and they'll see this and tell us what's it's like with any luck. If not I'll end up getting the WRC probably.

Reactions: BCS Nige
Yes absolutely - will post vids for consideration ASAP.
Cheers
Nige

Reactions: e9_mustii
Yes absolutely - will post vids for consideration ASAP.
Cheers
Nige
Hey mate please upload one with the a 3.5" decat with and without resonator as im inbetween and will.be making an order soon for mine as i dont kind asbo loud but not all day every day especially when family is in the car

Update:

So today I had my S3 upgraded with the BCS Powervalve WRC, with titanium wrapped 72mm downpipe, 100 Cell Race Cat, Powerflex uprated dogbone insert and black ceramic coated lightning tips.

I got to inspect all the parts and take photos before they were fitted. The build quality and attention to detail is incredible. Was fitted start to finish in about 3 hours.

The resulting sound is, quite frankly insane. At low speeds off boost it’s pretty respectful although uplifted and more sporty but not obscene or intrusive into the cabin.
However, under heavy throttle it’s absolutely brutal. The noise when you upshift near the redline is savage! The pop and crackle you get along with the DSG farts is seriously loud. A real head turner.

I’m blown away by the end result.
1ddc3ce951a7ea9f0b3752aedcf8a8e9.jpg

Considering I’m still running stock ecu/dsg maps and just an induction kit at the moment I wasn’t expecting these sort of noises just yet. Very satisfied custom though. Thanks to everyone at BCS for all their hard work. Thanks to [mention]samuelh_888 [/mention] for convincing me to go straight for the WRC system and not the Sport!
2c490a2febf55581539fd2daad264920.jpg

43639165fba253c0d05388878062a994.jpg

53a904cd0e1f8119979a40c0a3579664.jpg

b9fc270efc064108c248e5f59afc31a4.jpg

08c2802785967aa1fd0f201dfc68ca1d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: samuelh_888 and Kayobong
Update:

So today I had my S3 upgraded with the BCS Powervalve WRC, with titanium wrapped 72mm downpipe, 100 Cell Race Cat, Powerflex uprated dogbone insert and black ceramic coated lightning tips.

I got to inspect all the parts and take photos before they were fitted. The build quality and attention to detail is incredible. Was fitted start to finish in about 3 hours.

The resulting sound is, quite frankly insane. At low speeds off boost it’s pretty respectful although uplifted and more sporty but not obscene or intrusive into the cabin.
However, under heavy throttle it’s absolutely brutal. The noise when you upshift near the redline is savage! The pop and crackle you get along with the DSG farts is seriously loud. A real head turner.

Considering I’m still running stock ecu/dsg maps and just an induction kit at the moment I wasn’t expecting these sort of noises just yet. Very satisfied custom though. Thanks to everyone at BCS for all their hard work. Thanks to [mention]samuelh_888 [/mention] for convincing me to go straight for the WRC system and not the Sport!

Im planing on going for the exact same but with the 3.5"decat i think we forum members deserve a good quality vid/sound check

I’ll see if I can record something this weekend mate to give you an idea of mine I’d you’d like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an edition 30 dsg with 360 on tap, I went for a Revo map but it was the dsg linear map that just took it to lunacy.
I was chasing after the weak points after that,anti lift kit helped then wheel spinning was stopped by various mounts on the engine gearbox and dog bone iirc also semi slick road legal rubbers but then it hopped :D the haldex might help you on that front a bit.

Update:

I desperately want one of these but I don't think it would be worth the cost on my S3 as a full BCS system would cost about 1/5 of what I actually paid for the car which is nuts. Maybe one day I'll pick one up, a BCS system is at the top of my bucket list!

Excellent work @phateuk - they are a work or art aren’t they. Shame they are hidden under the car!

Yours is the revised version too so it’s as good as it gets!