S3 Test on Fifth Gear

As positive as the S3 looks (and sounds great) as a past owner of a Clio Trophy and knowing how tricked out that was I've just checked out the Megane spec sheet that's been on a savage diet and also has some big name suspension tech on board and holds an amazing lap of the ring. Would like to see something more scientific as the Renault should have eaten the S3 alive !

Edit: don't flame me I love my S3 !

Reactions: Jassyo06
Where did the link go!? Was half way through watching it earlier in the pub and my battery died!

£36,430 for a Renault Megane er no thanks S3 anyday. £3000 cheaper, better built, better interior, better looking, Faster to 0-62, comfort, speed , refinement oh and an Audi badge.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Pulp84
Where did the link go!? Was half way through watching it earlier in the pub and my battery died!

Post #29 on page 1 of this thread.

Also fair to say that that model Megane and the S3 would never appear on the same shortlist. The Megane has no rear seats and has had all sound deadening and creature comforts removed to save weight. Could be a low production homologation model for a race series or something.

Reactions: Wanty
I'll keep this totally non-tech and waffle-free, that Megane is an ugly piece o ***** ;)

(OMG my post just got auto-edited........can't even say sh*te!!) Lol

Reactions: Jassyo06, Pulp84 and Rob2k68
£36,430 for a Renault Megane er no thanks S3 anyday. £3000 cheaper, better built, better interior, better looking, Faster to 0-62, comfort, speed , refinement oh and an Audi badge.

Agree, that's a lot of money for a stripped out Megane! There must be a serious lack of comfort in everyday use & that exhaust noise would be tiring on a longer journey.

That was fun. Completely unfair on the Golf but fun anyway. Some on this forum would have you believe that the S3 is hopeless at everything but going in a straight line. Unscientific or not, this showed two good drivers going toe to toe on a track with the S3 and the car that everyone has down as the best, most focused hot hatch with a roll cage, no back seats, semi slicks and racing harnesses. Love it!

Reactions: Jassyo06
This is a video of the Megane RS Trophy v Leon v Type R.

The Megane RS is the slowest hot hatch in that bunch, beaten by the Seat Leon by over half a second on this short track (Type R was the quickest).

The Megane RS is also down on power by ~ 25PS compared to the S3, it's the slowest hot hatch of the bunch above (on that track), and yet it managed to beat the S3 on the fifth gear test (in whatever guise that particular Megane was), I think it's stretching fanboy credibility to suggest that the S3 is a fine handling hot hatch given that it would easily be outperformed by a Leon. There are just too many inadequacies with the S3 suspension in standard form, and this is the biggest frustration, given what the car could have been.

Last edited:
The Leon Cupra also beats the Golf R around the track. It's really a very fine car, well put together and a bargain when you look at it. The interior lets it down though and the re-sale value just seriously dampens the appeal of a car like that. But its a great job by Seat nonetheless.

Reactions: mister.c.
^ I largely agree with you on the Seat.

But not once, have I ever, whilst wrestling and/or pogoing with my S3 around a corner dealing with the lack of grip and terminal understeer, have I ever paused to think, "it's ok, I can't get round this corner properly, but I have a nice interior and great residuals" :p

We all seek different things from our cars :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Schuey
Veeeight, I'm not sure if your comment was aimed at me, but I didn't mean to suggest the S3 was a "fine handling hot hatch". My point was that many posters on here would have you believe that the S3 corners worse than a 70's Cadillac and I've never seen that (except the high speed pogo thing that is scary). I would guess the power to weight would be comparable between the Megane and the S3 and yet a race on a track was virtually a dead heat. Since the Megane is supposed to be the best handling hot hatch then I was surprised. And the absolute last thing I am is a fanboy, I bought the car for my Wife as she likes Audis. I like it, but am looking forward to getting myself something a bit more dramatic.

Reactions: veeeight

But not once, have I ever, whilst wrestling and/or pogoing with my S3 around a corner dealing with the lack of grip and terminal understeer, have I ever paused to think, "it's ok, I can't get round this corner properly, but I have a nice interior and great residuals" :p

It's a good point. All of us want different things from cars and thank god for it...If there was no variety or everyone wanted the same thing it would just be a sea of VW GTIs and Renault, Honda et al wouldn't even bother making hot hatches anymore. Thank goodness there are people who just go with the heart and get the car they want and don't let residuals or whatever be the guiding factor.

Otherwise the Leon Cupra just wouldn't be made. And that would be a serious occurrence as the Seat embarrasses the VW and Audi hot hatches in many respects and will actually spur them on to improve things with their next models.

I guess my point is that the S3 is a very comfortable autobahn cruiser and provides good traction with Haldex. But you can get that with a S-Line A3, just put a bigger engine in! Just don't call it a S car!

However my biggest frustration is that something wearing a S badge can be so un-involving, lack steering finesse, and have suspension foibles unbecoming of a S car. And we know that it's easily put right, look at Seat and VW's MQB cars!

The Megane 250 was better to drive than the current S3 is.
The latest incarnation of the Megane will surpass the 250, I have no doubt.

The Megane just has that sweet spot for driving. It really is on a different level.
It's not all about speed and power, it's about engagement, character, enjoyment, balance, and how a car makes you feel. Although the Megane isn't as powerful or fast, throw a few corners at it and the difference is negligible.
These are the reasons the Megane is the best there is, and the journo's are comprehensive in their opinions.
I'll definitely have one again one day.

However my biggest frustration is that something wearing a S badge can be so un-involving, lack steering finesse, and have suspension foibles unbecoming of a S car. And we know that it's easily put right, look at Seat and VW's MQB cars!

Every S Car I've driven has been the same, and whilst I'm a long way from saying the handling of the newest S3 is perfect (as proved by the fact I've put coilovers on mine!) it's really not that bad, and in my opinion a little better than some of the other S cars I've tried.

Compared with some other older generation S cars, yes, the S3 is an improvement.

However, compared against the current crop of cars on the market, eg: Fiesta ST, Seat Leon etc., then the Audi S car has not progressed as much as the others.

Audi claim that they have recognised and addressed 2 things - steering feel, and UK road suspension requirements on the new MLB platform (eg: A4) - lets see if this is so!

And so it begins.........again

Reactions: Nimbus265, Martinbanshee, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Its just that us old S3 codgers, have a soft spot for classy interiors and understeer,what more could you ask for...lol

Am still going to buy another Audi though.

Reactions: Simon L
Its just that us old S3 codgers, have a soft spot for classy interiors and understeer,what more could you ask for...lol

Am still going to buy another Audi though.

Would you consider the new S4 when it comes out? Will have the virtual cockpit etc

Bit off topic but did I hear right that the RS4 is coming out in saloon form this time round and not just the Avant ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit off topic but did I hear right that the S4 is coming out in saloon form this time round and not just the Avant ?

RS4 Saloon. :yes:

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Bit off topic but did I hear right that the RS4 is coming out in saloon form this time round and not just the Avant ?
There you go Rob ;)

Reactions: veeeight and Rob2k68
Pretty sure my dealer said on collection day that the RS3 Saloon is still a possibility. Not confirmed though ;)

No such thing as 'best' in this context. I know what I like to have the most.....an S3. Renaults are glued together with spit and bits fall off. Others will disagree and have a right to their opinion, in which case, go buy something else.

Reactions: nadsi77 and sunscreemer

Lack of grip? Huh? What tyres are you running on?

I'm still at complete loss to understand why some of you bought an S3 in the first place seeing as how all these supposed 'defects' have been apparently plaguing the entire S line-up for several incarnations?

I don't know about the rest of you but I couldn't give a monkey's toss about track performance I bought my S3 to drive on the road ;)

Reactions: Daveotto, Martinbanshee, Terminator x and 8 others
I'm still at complete loss to understand why some of you bought an S3 in the first place seeing as how all these supposed 'defects' have been apparently plaguing the entire S line-up for several incarnations?

I don't know about the rest of you but I couldn't give a monkey's toss about track performance I bought my S3 to drive on the road ;)

Could not agree more mate.

Reactions: Martinbanshee

I also think I'll take Bruno Senna's views on the S3 handling over anyone on here. Especially when it's supposedly on the track at its limits that it's flaws are most revealed.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, NickyF, Simon L and 1 other person
Would you consider the new S4 when it comes out? Will have the virtual cockpit etc

Hi Robert,l will no doubt go for a some sort of coupe in the Audi range...new A5/TTS,I got the Sportsback because it was better looking than the 3 door??,the Saloon/Sedan was £3k too much for me,l dont need 5/4 doors now, only me in the car,so l will wait and see what my son can sort me out with in 2 years time or slightly less.

Just finished watching this Shoot out "Stopped Watching when the "Heavier Golf..? was knocked oot" " So it was between the Megane and the "Monsoon/daytona? S3 LOL " Quite Chuffed actually...Senna is a awesome driver to keep up with a "Weekend Only Track Focused Renault" Great TV and well done the S3. "Although hey yoo Audi lnterior "BOFFINS" Take note start fitting far more Suppotive seats in yer "S/RS" wagons

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
I love how some of you guys are taking this so seriously, like its gospel !! :p

Firstly, it was always going to be a Senna v Prost showdown, no matter what. That was the whole point of getting those two there.

Prost had to have the Renault, Senna had the S3 because his first ever car was a S3. But no matter what cars they ended up in, they would have been the last two cars standing!

How then, to eliminate the quicker Leon and Golf?

Simple - The only car that started in Launch Control was the S3, both the lighter Leon and Golf didn't start with LC in the first segment, the autotest. Heck, they even let the Megane have 2 goes because the first attempt was rubbish!

The other sleight of hand that they played was in calling the Golf "heavier" - in the kerb (unladed) weights - VW always include a 75kg driver, Audi don't, so on paper the Golf is heavier (because they include the weight of the driver).

Fairly straightforward from now, the Megane out-corners and out-brakes the S3 on that circuit, and the S3 claws back position on the straights because it has more power (and traction)............. but on the the last drag to the finish....... it doesn't make it up! How convenient!

And that.... is how to make an exciting entertaining TV piece. But not a benchmarking exercise. It's all about the Senna v Prost showdown. :D

Reactions: S.
Great watching and the S3 definitely came out looking good.

My S3 is monsoon and I would say with 99.99999% certainty that that was monsoon.

Reactions: sunscreemer
I love how some of you guys are taking this so seriously, like its gospel !! :p

Firstly, it was always going to be a Senna v Prost showdown, no matter what. That was the whole point of getting those two there.

Prost had to have the Renault, Senna had the S3 because his first ever car was a S3. But no matter what cars they ended up in, they would have been the last two cars standing!

How then, to eliminate the quicker Leon and Golf?

Simple - The only car that started in Launch Control was the S3, both the lighter Leon and Golf didn't start with LC in the first segment, the autotest. Heck, they even let the Megane have 2 goes because the first attempt was rubbish!

The other sleight of hand that they played was in calling the Golf "heavier" - in the kerb (unladed) weights - VW always include a 75kg driver, Audi don't, so on paper the Golf is heavier (because they include the weight of the driver).

Fairly straightforward from now, the Megane out-corners and out-brakes the S3 on that circuit, and the S3 claws back position on the straights because it has more power (and traction)............. but on the the last drag to the finish....... it doesn't make it up! How convenient!

And that.... is how to make an exciting entertaining TV piece. But not a benchmarking exercise. It's all about the Senna v Prost showdown. :D

Ha Ha, yes it's a TV programme and edited to suit but you always take praise for the S3 pretty seriously (so you can shoot it down), why not ignore it like you expect everyone else to.
It's honestly like its your mission in life to crap on any praise for the S3 and bang out links to previous posts backing your opinions.

Why not follow your own previous advice and ignore this thread if you don't like others enjoying an S3 handling pretty well, thank you.

I personally found it entertaining, it's not scientific after all, but you can't deny the S3 looked pretty settled which is handy on a real road.

The difference is, I don't moan about people praising the S3 (they are entitled to their opinions, after all) :p

I just moan *about* the S3, not the people ;)

Reactions: Blackwhite
Anyone else feel like its groundhog day around here........?

Maybe those who don't rate the S3's handling should look a bit closer to home for the reason. Perhaps your driving simply isn't up to much.

It's absolutely fine.