S3 Test on Fifth Gear

That would be my driving, and everybody else on here, and also much of the media too, who also don't think it's the finest handling hot hatch out there ;)

It's a lovely car to sit it, but it is capable of being out-braked and out-cornered by so called "lesser" hot hatches such as the Fiesta ST, for example.

Which is a shame (and disgrace) - for something costing £35k. I get brake fade when driving hard on the road. That's not really acceptable from a S car.

And it's not like the MQB isn't capable of it, look at the Golf R. Better steering (feedback, more incisive, better turn in), better suspension (less pogoing, less mid corner foibles).

Dreadful shame Audi couldn't go that last 20% to make a great car. :)

But - as I've said before, if people want a comfortable powerful cruiser, the S3 proposition (comfort over handling and fun) is the right one. If you want a pin sharp handling car, it isn't. It's a good all rounder, but not without foibles.

Everyone has different reasons for buying a S3.

Last edited:
The problem with tracks, and journalists, is the people (audience) like to have things both ways.

Their cake and eat it.

When a journalist publishes a favourable review, it's great.
When a journalist publishes a negative review, they are the most biased journalist ever (I kid you not, those words have been used here) and they aren't in the real world blah blah blah.

The same with track reviews and timings.
If a car does well, it's a case of look how good it performs on a track.
If a car does less well, it's a case of "I'll never track my car" so it's totally irrelevant, or the driver wasn't trying hard enough, or track timings don't mean anything in the real world etc.

You really do have to examine all the parts in context. A track is a reasonable timing benchmark. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes, you can extract useful information from side by side track benchmark, for example, which car is better under braking, which car handles the corners better, which car has more outright power etc.

An excellent track timing video is the very recent evo RS3 v Golf R - it demonstrates (with commentary) all those points above.

But a track can also be very unrepresentative of real world conditions. It would seldom, for example, show handling conditions and a road condition, such as your typical UK B road, which does show up handling flaws and traits very quickly. It pushes primary and secondary ride considerations, in combinations that a flat-ish track doesn't.

I think everyone is taking this far too seriously. It was a bit if fun. At the end, Tiff said that the Fifth Gear top hot hatch is the Renault. Could anyone seriously live with that car day to day, trying to drive normally? You have also got to take into account the drivers and the tactics at the end. If it was real (and I have my doubts....there was clearly some artistic license in the filming), it was incredibly close. Anyone who would consider this as a representation of what is the 'best car' should think again.

Reactions: Simon L and veeeight
Broken record time here, may be my last view of this otherwise entertaining thread. Whatever the reason, motive, flaws etc. in this test the main thing for me is that a guy like Bruno Senna with all the performance car driving experience he has ragged an S3 around with a huge smile on hhis face. That isn't staged and if it can make him grin like a child then it's fine by me. Maybe in the out takes he whinged like a little b!tch about a Fiesta ST being better, but I doubt it.

Reactions: jaypers777
I think maybe he whinged (maybe not like a little bitch) in the out-takes about being out-braked and out-cornered (on the outside, no less ;) ) by the Megane, and Prost :D

I think maybe he whinged (maybe not like a little bitch) in the out-takes about being out-braked and out-cornered (on the outside, no less ;) ) by the Megane, and Prost :D

What do you expect from a stripped out lightweight car with racing tyres?

Reactions: Martinbanshee
I think the 'film' did at least highlight that the S3 isn't actually a complete dog when it comes to handling like some claim and that it's actually quite fun to drive too.

Reactions: Kugaman1 and Simon L
What do you expect from a stripped out lightweight car with racing tyres?

Much more than what was shown/edited, if I am to be honest!

The Leon would have shown the S3 a clean pair of heels around that circuit, and we already know from previous "corner" attempts that it takes at least 2 or 3 laps to warm those tyres up! So all in all, there are many variables regarding the "racing tyres" - that we have no information on.

Go on, p!ss on them and be done with it...
Chips

Don't be silly, mayo will give you a much better sliding experience.

Reactions: Simon L
Mayo on chips is very Dutch.

Reactions: batch
Rock steady these saloons ;)

In all seriousness, I do think there is something in that. The saloon has a wider track than the HB and SB, is heavier, and so will influence the damping (which I have a big issue with on the HB). At a pure guess - I think this has more influence over mag ride or no mag ride.

So, that statement isn't all that far out!

Mayo on chips is very Dutch.

Or Belgian! But I do have a bit of Dutch heritage, so maybe that's where thats come from!

Reactions: Pulp84, Blackwhite and Simon L
In all seriousness, I do think there is something in that. The saloon has a wider track than the HB and SB, is heavier, and so will influence the damping (which I have a big issue with on the HB).

So, that statement isn't all that far out!

Or Belgian! But I do have a bit of Dutch heritage, so maybe that's where that has come from!

Yep, I'm sure I saw on a review the 4wd ratio is better on the saloon too.

You should take one out for a spin Veeeight :racer: ;)

The A45 sounds good. Pricey for an A class though. For nearly £50k (with options) I'd rather get a second hand C63 AMG

Yes, you can say the same thing about the RS3, it's the same car as a 1.2 A3 !

But yes, the C63 is a beast :) - but for me the attraction of smaller cars with power, is the ability to throw it around, and I do want the agility, nimbleness, quickness of a small light car. Which is where all my problems start....... :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Ignition1
If I don't get on with my S3 over the few years of ownership i'll happily go back to BMW. Can't be doing with Mercedes, they just aren't 'right' in many aspects.

Reactions: Kugaman1

But yes, the C63 is a beast :) - but for me the attraction of smaller cars with power, is the ability to throw it around, and I do want the agility, nimbleness, quickness of a small light car. Which is where all my problems start....... :(

A colleague of mine has a C63, went for a ride as he had to fill up (something he does quite often in that car) - what a beast. Feels like your sitting inside thunder - it's all around you but strangely relaxing. Interior feels plush as well.

I'd be wary of throwing it around corners. Definitely felt more "muscle car" compared to a hot hatch - straight line you'll be :yahoo: but when you reach a corner :sos: .

I'd suggest a Cayman or a Lotus?? Depends if you also want it to be practical.

Reactions: veeeight
If I don't get on with my S3 over the few years of ownership i'll happily go back to BMW. Can't be doing with Mercedes, they just aren't 'right' in many aspects.

To be honest, after all this, your real life experience when getting it, will overwhelm the expectations, and I predict you'll be overjoyed with it!

Most people are! :)

To be honest, after all this, your real life experience when getting it, will overwhelm the expectations, and I predict you'll be overjoyed with it!

Most people are! :)

You may have seen me say on other posts that the best all round car i've ever owned was my 8P 2.0TDI Quattro Black Edition. Other than a stone through the condenser never had any issues with it, but i'm well aware others with the same car may have been plagued by problems and have a totally opposite view. It's the luck of the draw really isn't it. I've never had a problem with my BMW other than a rear view mirror that would keep slowly dropping, which was replaced and never had the same issue again. Others on the BMW forum, nothing but trouble!

Main thing for me is to be covered under warranty then yes, I may have some inconvenience, but at least i'm covered. The S3 is almost identical in purchase price to the newer version of the old A3 I had, it's just running costs that are higher which i'm happy to take on. I hope I will be overjoyed by the S3 as you say, but my expectations are for something that is a bit more fun and sounds nicer than my last A3 whilst being as comfortable and with the high quality interior. So I do have the confidence that it will at least meet my expectations from those points of view.

veeeight,
This post is a good analogy of what you have been
trying to say along. What people
want from their cars is all relative.
You have every right to feel the way
you do. You are talking about the
car itself and not the people who
own them.

Its not whether the glass is half full or half empty, its about how long you hold onto the glass that causes the discomfort, if you can accept the flaws of your car and just let it go then you won't need to keep thinking about it because lets be honest all cars are flawed in one way or another, its how much you focus on the flaw that is the issue.

Reality check........We're on an Audi forum, some people will therefore be biased and have differing opinions but overall its the people that make a forum, some for the better, some for the .....:grimacing: :tonguewink: even betterer (sp)

Now, I have to finish my work so that I can pay for my car at the end of this month which is overpriced, understeers, is in the wrong colour and has some tacky fake aluminium looking plastic bits and a massive hole in the roof that some say could make it fall over. All of which I have apparently paid for.......But personally I can't wait:salute:

I will miss my S3 and I really hope the RS3 is half as good to live with day to day. In the meantime I have ordered a pile of cleaning stuff for the weekend to make sure its bright & shiny for its last few weeks at home :sunglasses:

PS I think Bruno actually likes the S3 :sign wow:

Chris Harris has praised the S3 a fair few times. Just read his thoughts on the S3 over the RS3. https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/driv...chback-really-be-50k-good#9kZMQv0Oe6mAryd6.97

I enjoy driving my S3 a lot to be fair....I just find the steering lets it down. It's just bit of a blunt instrument when you really push it.

When Mrs Pulp's ZOE goes to Renault next week for a software update I'm going to ask how much the Megane 275 is a month on finance for giggles.

£££ usually decide such matters and that has been the biggest issue for the Megane (regardless of how good it is).

^ you don't mind hitting your head on the headlining in the S3? :p

Reactions: Blackwhite and Pulp84
^ you don't mind hitting your head on the headlining in the S3?
The last car I had (VW Jetta GLS)
I was hitting my head a lot. I am tall, but there is plenty of room in
the A3 Saloon.

@Blackwhite that comment was a cryptic reference to the high speed damping (rebound) characteristics of the S3, I believe @Pulp84 once did hit his head on the headlining during a particularly enthusiastic drive ;)

Reactions: Blackwhite
@Blackwhite that comment was a cryptic reference to the high speed damping (rebound) characteristics of the S3, I believe @Pulp84 once did hit his head on the headlining during a particularly enthusiastic drive ;)

Most times I drive the car veeeight. ;)

Yawn, sitting in a tiny French Gite with nothing to do as it's been p******** down for the last 24 hours so finally got round to reading this thread but not been able to watch the show as Internet connection is so bad. Anyway regardless of what 5th gear concluded........

my considered opinion is............ As a road car S3 Is overall better to anything else in its class, as a track car it maybe has some faults if @veeight is right.

That said no one should be driving it that hard on a public road to discover any potential flaws, but we all drive our S3's as knobs occasionally so let's move on :grinning: