S3, The lowdown?

The911SC

Reaction score
So, I am just about to factory order an S3 and chop in my mk2 TT 3.2..
But... even the dealership are not that inspired by the S3!..
I have heard heavy fuel consumption in the first couple of thousand plus noisy fule pumps etc being talked about on top of halford styling, and thats from the dealer!..
I personally really like the old s3 and have had 2 new A3's including a 3.2 S line which I really liked..

I have set myself a limit of 30K on a car (after my RS4 and S4 ownerships!) and thought it was about the best quick allrounder for the money?; I need to be able to get my mountain bike on the back/inside and occasionally transport a couple of my young kids...

Whats the lowdown then?..

My spec is (potentially) phantom black, Bluetooth, Sunroof, Light sense, multi f flat bottom wheel and Bose.
I have phatnoise to fit and will prob retrofit RNS (I did this in my RS4 plus a bluetooth phone)..

So, I am just about to factory order an S3 and chop in my mk2 TT 3.2..
But... even the dealership are not that inspired by the S3!..
I have heard heavy fuel consumption in the first couple of thousand plus noisy fule pumps etc being talked about on top of halford styling, and thats from the dealer!..
I personally really like the old s3 and have had 2 new A3's including a 3.2 S line which I really liked..

I have set myself a limit of 30K on a car (after my RS4 and S4 ownerships!) and thought it was about the best quick allrounder for the money?; I need to be able to get my mountain bike on the back/inside and occasionally transport a couple of my young kids...

Whats the lowdown then?..

My spec is (potentially) phantom black, Bluetooth, Sunroof, Light sense, multi f flat bottom wheel and Bose.
I have phatnoise to fit and will prob retrofit RNS (I did this in my RS4 plus a bluetooth phone)..

Why didn't you just keep the RS4?! Was it the B7?

Your dealer is full of sh*t mate, Halfords styling?????? the S3 is very very understated in fact maybe too much! as for noisy no more than anyother VAG car!

It's a 2.0l turbo so you only use fuel coz you like to put your foot down and enjoy the car,you can potter around and get in the 30's MPG , but whats the point? it will be no worse than a 3.2TT and nowhere near a RS4!

Options , get the arm rest so your phone prep can fit in there , i'd go for the interior light pack as well!

I love my S3 mate, i see you want the fastest colour too! lol

p

My, your dealer really does know how to sell a car!!!

Very surprising to hear them talk like that about the S3.

Personally, I tested the MK2 TT 3.2, MKv R32 and the S3 while I was shopping around and the S3 ticked more of the boxes by far - in fact the only thing I feel short changed on is the engine noise - quite tappety at idle, but has a reasonable growl when you floor it.
It's fast, nice to be in, handles well enough (already done a track day and was pretty impressed compared to the old S3) and is reasonably practical!
It's pretty discreet in the grand scheme of things (which personally I like). It'll swallow a couple of bikes with the wheels off and can even swallow a snow board bag and 2 x 200 litre hold alls to get me and my lady to the alps for a holiday.... 50 cm of snow forecast this weekend - sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I've had mine a year and still really enjoy driving it!

With regards to options, if I was ordering again I'd get:
FBMFSW
Bose
Electric Lumbar Support - offers a greater amount of adjustment
Interior Light Pack - really lifts the interior
Folding Mirrors (Live in London so vital for me!)
Sunband - trivial but does add to the look!
Phone prep in the armrest - I didn't order this and kick myself now!
I'd love the buckets too!

Retrofit the RNS-E, but I think there are some problems with getting the radio to work I'm sure I read that somewhere!

Good luck mate - haggle for a price - there are some deals to be had, I got 3% off mine when I ordered it in Nov 2006, so now you should be aiming for 6%!

JK

I would not agree with the heavy fuel consumption unless you are just doing lots of short journeys from cold.
I never do journeys less than 20 miles and my average is just over 30 mpg. This includes decent amounts of thrash where appropriate but on todays roads you cannot rag it everywhere as it gets very fast very quickly!
Halfords styling - this is not a Mk IV R32!!

prt

Hi prt57, the911SC...

it's a small world! i think the S3 fuel consumption is decent to be fair. 28mpg with me driving sensibly...

halford's styling?? i would completly disagree. It's honestly, one of the very few cars I would throw my own money at...

classy, quick, balanced, understated etc..

I'd have one!

Thanks All..
Yep, have to say my local dealer is not cutting it right now but they have been great in the past and in touch with Ali as we sepak...
I actually get 29 mpg out of my 3.2 TT on my commute so I am sure I should get over 30 in an S3..
I sold the RS4 beacuase of the type of driving I now do; 3 days a week a 170 mile motorway round trip doesnt show the S and RS cars at their best and 50K was a lot to have stuck in a car so sensible (ish) hat on these days..

So, I will go for it, Just need to decide which option and stretch AliAudi to the right deal! :)

Any comments on the bucket seats?; I will probably spec up as I like the toys but jury is out on these as I had the recaros in my RS4 (thankfully)..

Thanks All..
Yep, have to say my local dealer is not cutting it right now but they have been great in the past and in touch with Ali as we sepak...
I actually get 29 mpg out of my 3.2 TT on my commute so I am sure I should get over 30 in an S3..
I sold the RS4 beacuase of the type of driving I now do; 3 days a week a 170 mile motorway round trip doesnt show the S and RS cars at their best and 50K was a lot to have stuck in a car so sensible (ish) hat on these days..

So, I will go for it, Just need to decide which option and stretch AliAudi to the right deal! :)

Any comments on the bucket seats?; I will probably spec up as I like the toys but jury is out on these as I had the recaros in my RS4 (thankfully)..

Buckets are amazing, very comfortable, supportive and look awesome, they make the car feel a bit special. I had a choice between rns-e and the buckets, it was an easy decision.

This is going to sound a bit stupid but do they allow easy access to the back seats (or at least as good as the standard?)

Actually no, not that great to be honest. The lever in the harness holes needs to be lifted to fold the seat forward and then you need to use a separate lever to slide the seat forward. But its a small price to pay IMO.

Actually no, not that great to be honest. The lever in the harness holes needs to be lifted to fold the seat forward and then you need to use a separate lever to slide the seat forward. But its a small price to pay IMO.

The mans got a couple of kids tho?

p

yep.. but thats why I (or my wife)has a Touran also! its very rare i take my girls in the car (4 and 2) but getting access to the rear seats was a bit of a pain in the S line 3.2 I had not to mention bucket seats!.
Either way, its got to be easier than access to the rear of the TT !..

What about alcantara vs embossed seats?..

S3 good all round fast car.... not amazing but very competent and discreet fast car... not exciting after a few miles, specially if you do lots of motorway miles...

Pedro

I suppose.... I guess I have a solution for this...

Get a diesel for commute and a Caterham... that can be boring can it?

Maybe that is what I should do... It is sad to be bored with my car and it has not even been a year.... first time it happened...

Pedro

Been there.. done that!...
Had an A4 1.8T for the daily and then an 1983 911sc for the weekend(hence the name!), then a Boxster but running, taxing insuring, servicing 3 cars can get a bit of a pian in the wallet and stops you being frivolous in other areas... I bought some property instead!...

In my eyes ive got the best car i can afford , so i'm over the moon with it!

As a everyday all rounder in my price range theres nothing to touch it really , maybe a used E46 M3 , i think the S3 is a bit more elite!

Sure you can get faster , better handling cars for 30k , but will they be new, will they only have two seats, will there value drop faster than a stone, will they be falling apart before there MOT's up?

S3 for for me.

p

In my eyes ive got the best car i can afford , so i'm over the moon with it!

As a everyday all rounder in my price range theres nothing to touch it really , maybe a used E46 M3 , i think the S3 is a bit more elite!

Sure you can get faster , better handling cars for 30k , but will they be new, will they only have two seats, will there value drop faster than a stone, will they be falling apart before there MOT's up?

S3 for for me.

p

Don't get me wrong I like the S3 only thing is I don't find it as exciting as I did before, that is all... It is a good car.

Pedro

seen the link... didn't bother to comment... way to expensive!! My car has 10k better spec and I am lucky if someone gives me £22k... so the price seems optimistic...

Pedro

Dude,

The bucket seats are nice and all that, but for getting access to the rear, FORGET IT!

I have trouble getting a shopping bag in the rear, nevermind a passenger!

When you release the seat to fold forward it moves about 4" LoL! Then you have to use the slider to bring it forward... Nightmare.

BUt for someone with no kids, they look and feel wicked :arco:

Dude,

The bucket seats are nice and all that, but for getting access to the rear, FORGET IT!

I have trouble getting a shopping bag in the rear, nevermind a passenger!

When you release the seat to fold forward it moves about 4" LoL! Then you have to use the slider to bring it forward... Nightmare.
:arco:

TBH the standard seats aren't much better at going forward by the sounds of it. One thing I wish is that I had gone for the buckets but you live an learn.

Getting a bike in the back will be possible if you strip the rig to frame and forks. I don't think its Halfords style, silver grille is a bit showy (prefer the black but wasn't out when I purchased), but other than that its subtle if you go with a good colour.

Ordered Yesterday via Ali from Listers...
Went for evrything minus the buckets and the RNS(which I will retrofit at some point!).

Thanks for the advice....Anyone want a nice 3.2 TT ?!