S3 to S5

S3Baz

Reaction score
Posted this in the other S5 forum but maybe it should have been in this one.

Thinking about selling my PFL S3 and going for a 2017 S5. Anybody done the same thing?
I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet so looking for thoughts on driving experience, handling, interior quality etc.

Cheers.

Thinking about selling my PFL S3 and going for a 2017 S5. Anybody done the same thing?
I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet so looking for thoughts on driving experience, handling, interior quality etc.

Cheers.

I did the same thing in November. Mainly because I wanted a smoother ride and nicer up to date interior.

It more than meets those requirements.

why are you thinking of switching to an S5? what do you want out of it? if you have answers to those I can maybe be more specific.

This is my 2nd S3 and I feel I just need a change after having this one for 3 1/2 years. I thought about maybe switching to the S3 saloon but again it would be the same interior etc.
I don't do a big annual mileage so extra fuel costs wouldn't bother me.
I had my mind set on a tts but my wife said no so that was the end of that. It's hard to come up with alternatives to the s3 as it is such a good all rounder.

I went from a 2015 S3 to a 2017 A5 coupe (not S5) much nicer place to sit.

Reactions: nothingness and S3Baz
I have just gone from a 2016 FL S3 3 door to a 2017 S5 Coupe and love it.
As said above it is such a nice place to sit, more room than the S3 and it still gets me when I look out the passenger door mirror and it seems far away.
I miss the Hatchback for lugging stuff about, the boot in the S5 is much larger just the opening is a lot smaller.

The engine note on full chat is addictive.

For some reason the S5 seems to handle better than the S3, the turn into corners is more positive, not sure if it is because I have the adjustable suspension.

Fuel consumption is worse on short journeys but I went for a tour the other day, 180 Miles and it managed 37MPG, I only do about 10K a year so not a problem anyway.

Loving the car and no regrets, mine has Matrix Lights, and Panoramic sunroof, no audio upgrade or rear camera so miss those a bit.

Reactions: nothingness, S3Baz and Jcbmally
That's interesting about the handling, I feel the S3 can bounce about on some occasions and it has a bit of body roll on corners. Mine doesn't have the adaptive suspension so not sure how big a difference that makes.

I had a mk3 tts and now a b9 S5…. Engine is night and day different… the 4 pot while it felt nibble didnt have much grunt - in comparison.

The S5 does feel big though - and less cocooned into the cabin.

i have adaptives - and tbh i prefered the magride on the tts… the adaptive steering on the S5 is also poorly implemented.

i do about 380miles a week - just manages it on a single tank - so i fill up once a week on thre weekends - which was the same on my TTS to be fair… so cost of running has been about the same for me.

Cheers.
Oh another thing to think about is tyres! I sold the S3 @ 17,500 mile with the original tyres on it! The fronts on my A5 lasted about 6,500 mile and the rears are due now at under 12,000. It could be different on the S5 as it's quattro, so more evenly spread around!?!?

A5's are bad for tyre wear. Mine would wheelspin at any opportunity even just setting off gently.

I'm also considering S3 to S5. Mainly because I'm sick of the unwanted attention from all the boy racers.

Nice.
Great thing about S5 is you get VC, B&O and massage seats etc all standard.