S3 Tuning Box thoughts..

john71482

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about tuning boxes?
I've seen a few like DTUK, Bluefin ect..
Are they any good or stay clear?

Can't comment on those but the MTM M-Cantronic is a superb piece of kit. Does so much it's unreal, almost like a new ECU! Costly but I think it's money well spent.

I have just fit the DTUK FSR+ and the PEDAL BOX. I have not used it much but f**k me it's impressive. I also have the forge intake, I've been waiting for Revo to sort the later 2015 ECUs out but still no joy. So this is the route I've gone down and very happy, do it and you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: batch
I had the DTUK box installed in my mk 7 gti for two years then had it reprogrammed for the s3 and it's been in since September. No problems at all and the extra power is fantastic. Warranty friendly as well as easily removed before service etc.

I totally understand why people go for remaps over boxes however for me the box does exactly what I want.

Cheers guys think I'll be ordering one! Any idea if the pedal box is worth getting?

Stock is a map , a box isn't a map , a remap is a map.

Boxes should only be used to ship goods to your front door .

Reactions: Dazzeroo, Kugaman1, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
If it helps, I just used a Superchips Bluefin on my S3 and the map is excellent. No messing around under the bonnet, whole process took less than 15 minutes. The remap can be removed in about the same time for servicing/warranty work. I had a Celtic Tuning remap on it before and that made 345bhp on a dyno. The Superchips remap feels every bit as quick, i might be tempted down to a dyno to compare standard map and remap.

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=2&fueltype=3&model=183&variant=2955

Last edited:
I've tossed and turned over this myself for so long now.

I'm adamant I want more power...
There are pro and cons of each.

I have the DTUK box on my S3 at the moment, the power is great but at times the car isn't as smooth as it should be. Tempted to try Bluefin as I had it on my GTI and was great, but the numbers are very low compared to Revo/APR. Only 47bhp claimed increase on the S3, was 44bhp increase on the GTI with a much smaller turbo.

A lot of ppl r using JB1 in US on Golf Gti/R and on S3 as well, power gains are great

Jb1 is by far the most advanced tuning box available. Uses more connectors than DTUK and is user adjustable, (boost by rpm). And soon will have CAN Gateway access. Going to get one soon once my s3 has had a few thousand miles on the clock.

Reactions: Salik Sajid
This is a big favourite on the M135 forum too due to user tune ability following increases in stages, do etc.
I bought one as part of a group buy but there were quite a few connections which put a techno phone like me off so I sold it. I am in the minority though with the majority thrilled with them.

NO

Remap is the answer, if no tune is available for your ECU then just wait for it to be available.

Also please search as this question has been ask dozens of times with the same answers.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Are tuning boxes really recommended nowadays? I remember a few years ago people would say stay away as they trick the ecu to produce more boost etc, aren't they just intelligent variable resistors?

If it were me I would stay away from generic maps such as superchips and get a custom one made on a rolling road, a decent tuner should be able to remap the car safely.

It's all about whether you want to keep your warranty or not. If not then remap is undeniably the way forward but if you care about your warranty then a tuning box is the way to go. Can't get the best of both world unfortunately.

A tuning box isn't a 100% foolproof method of maintaining warranty either, boxes often bring up fault codes

eg:

1 Fault Found:
15343 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 00 [096] - Control Range Not Reached

which may prompt further investigation.............

And - long term trim values (and other anomolies) in the ECU will also give things away. I wouldn't say that tuning boxes are 100% undetectable. Someone who is determined could always find traces ............... Prob not at dealer level, but definitely do-able.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-pistonheads-golf-r-turbo-failure-td1.232015/

If warranty is a prime consideration with a box, the only "safe" route is to get a MTM box, where they offer a full powertrain warranty.

Reactions: batch and lucas-suisse
A tuning box isn't a 100% foolproof method of maintaining warranty either, boxes often bring up fault codes

eg:

1 Fault Found:
15343 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 00 [096] - Control Range Not Reached

which may prompt further investigation.............

And - long term trim values (and other anomolies) in the ECU will also give things away. I wouldn't say that tuning boxes are 100% undetectable. Someone who is determined could always find traces ............... Prob not at dealer level, but definitely do-able.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-pistonheads-golf-r-turbo-failure-td1.232015/

If warranty is a prime consideration with a box, the only "safe" route is to get a MTM box, where they offer a full powertrain warranty.

Yep that's true, unless you have vag com and can reset the fault codes before taking it to the dealer. Even so the dealers would just think it's a faulty turbo sensor and replace it. That's what happened to my golf. It showed a CEL after 2 years of having a tuning box on it. I took it off and took the car to the dealers they said it's a faulty sensor and replaced it.

I'm still waiting for Revo to pull there finger out for the new ECUs, so I've got the DTE Systems box (DTUK) and Pedal box and they work great. I put to shame a M4 yesterday and was very satisfied.

I am waiting for a remap but was seriously considering MTM due to the powertrain warranty.

Question for those with MTM: Do you remove it before service work etc?

I am waiting for a remap but was seriously considering MTM due to the powertrain warranty.

Question for those with MTM: Do you remove it before service work etc?
I've only had to take it off once, just to be on the safe side as I was having a wheel repaired. I would normally but it's such an easy job if you route the wiring properly.

So went to the Dyno today out of curiosity to see what the Bluefin produced. 9.3bhp down on the previous Celtic Tuning map. Same car, same setup, other than the map and just over a year on. Happy enough, it's worth the convenience of being able to remove and replace the map as and when I want without relying on a 3rd party.

Superchips Bluefin map :

Scan 2

Celtic Tuning map :

IMG 2601

Reactions: MikeParkin
Once I get my CTS elbow on I'd like to get mine on a dyno and see what figures come out.

Reactions: RO65ERS
id be p155ed if i had a map done and only ended up 35-44hp better off! and the peak torque figures aren't that impressive either.

then again, its not about the final figures, its about drive! But lets be honest, we all like to have a dyne to talk about, and we all want it as high as we can get it!

I've decided to go stage 2, but i will do it with the turbo elbow pipe (Turbo technics - purely for looks over the CTS) muffler delete and FMIC.
along with the basic hardware as downpipe and intake. possibly revo for both options there and their map as i want to try to keep it all one brand.anything over 375 hp / ftlb i would be happy with.

Once I get my CTS elbow on I'd like to get mine on a dyno and see what figures come out.

CTS elbow - looks great, but i think I'm going down the turbo tech route as its all in one, nice looking silicone hose! and very well priced imo. i prefer it purely for cosmetic reasons.
what else are you running ? DTUK and an intake?

in 2 months the S3 will reach 100.000km.

installed MTM box when car had 13.000km.

each time before service I remove the MTM box.

Atm no codes in vag com caused by MTM box.

regards

Attachments

• MTM.jpg
    MTM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 424
Reactions: vacant and veeeight
My MTM box is for sale if anyone is looking for one. My S3 is now sold, waiting for my new Cayman GTS!

Reactions: veeeight
AP Automotive in Telford have been selling the JB1 to the Golf R lads in the UK, they say it seems to be more popular on the R than the S3, maybe the S3 owners haven't yet cottoned on to it yet.

The JB1 is far more advanced than most other boxes on the market I believe

Reactions: Salik Sajid
JB1 if you want a tuning box and don't want to spend MTM money.

As it adds fuel the ECU won't have to add extra fuel and you won't get any codes for overboost etc

You can tweak the map to suit you per 500rpm

I have the DTUK box and it has totally transformed the car, and it looks like users of the MTM & JB1 have also mentioned this. It should have come as stock with this sort of performance, but i imagine they needed the extra bhp & torque for the RS3.
The RS3 with one of these boxes fitted must be ridiculous!

I have the DTUK box and it has totally transformed the car, and it looks like users of the MTM & JB1 have also mentioned this. It should have come as stock with this sort of performance, but i imagine they needed the extra bhp & torque for the RS3.
The RS3 with one of these boxes fitted must be ridiculous!
An RS3 is on my "goal board" as next car (along with an F-Pace!) and I will be putting my M-Cantronic on it!

Reactions: pburv and Djpfrozenp