S3 turbo problem

YogiS3

Reaction score
Hello everyone, fairly new to S3 ownership (less than a year), and this my first post.

Firstly, love the car, and this forum has been immense help.

First couple of upgrades were a Cloude 9 catch can kit and Badger5 TIP, and forge hoses for the DV and N75, and a forge charge pipe.
But the car has been burning quite a bit of oil, which after searching various posts, I figured was probably the turbo (car is on 139k). So I bought a genuine borg Warner core from Badger5, new gasket set, and new manifold bolts.
I've now had the turbo out and replaced the core. I did however find some cracks in the hotside housing, which according to most of you, is to be expected. Upon fitting the new core, I had to sand down inside the housing, to get the new core spinning, it was lightly catching on the area around the crack. I got it to a stage where it was spinning completely free with no snags or noises or anything like that. After refitting (pig of a job I might add) I bled the turbo up with fresh oil by disconnecting the coil packs and cranking the car over for a while, and then topped the oil back up. I then got the car started and idled for a good while with no problems to see. Oh yeah I should also say, after bleeding it up and cranking for the first time, I whipped the TIP back off to check if turbo still spun freely, which it did.
Anyway, after a good while of warming the car up on idle, I took the car for a light spin, all seemed OK, apart from at the beginning of light boost, she would flutter a little, which it didn't do before. And then after giving it a little more boost, she choked briefly and made a bit of a pop. I stopped immediately turned around and came home (I was less than a mile away just incase). After getting home and idling for a while, everything still seems OK. Oh yeah I should also add, it does seemed to have cured the oil burning problem. Just wondered what anyone's thoughts were? As it was a genuine complete core, I didn't think it would need balancing? Is this correct?

Any help much appreciated,
Thanks.