S3 Tyre choice????

s3Easty

Reaction score
Having just read a post in the RS3 section on winter tyres, It has left me with a quandry.

I have been really lucky in the way the tyres on my S3 have got down to the wear markers just in time for me to put on some Dunlop SP Wintersport winter tyres..

As the old tyres wont be worth putting back on once the winters gone (sometime in April no doubt) I will need to buy some more.

I was wondering if any of you guys who have had your cars a while have any tried and tested tyres for general use??

I've just have some Hankook Ventus Prime 2's fitted all round. I was running Bridgestone before and so far I really favour the Hankook's. The turn-in response feels way more precise and at speed the ride feels very planted.

just fitted a full set of yokohama parada spec 2 tyres. much much better than the pirelli p6000 that were on there before hand. fitted paradas on all my cars. never had a problem in the wet either

Pradas are absolutely hopeless things in the wet, verging on lethal. They're also ancient. Far better options these days.

Have a search of the forum, theres plenty of previous threads on the matter.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 or ContiSportContact 5P is where my money would be going.

Reactions: Adam P
thats from my experience tho. like i said ive never had a problem in the wet or dry. them p6000 on the other hand are lethal. had the paradas on my old gti6 and did a few track days with them and a few in the wet. got R888s on my celica and with them being quite slick there not bad in the wet too. but then again i dont drive like a mental :)

P6000s are also ancient, and they were **** when new too.

Both those tyres are from the late 90's, they're approaching 15 years old... things have come a long way in that time!

Pradas are absolutely hopeless things in the wet, verging on lethal. They're also ancient. Far better options these days.

Have a search of the forum, theres plenty of previous threads on the matter.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 or ContiSportContact 5P is where my money would be going.

+1 for Goodyear Asymmetric2 - have them all way round and completely changed the car compared to the budgets that was on there before!

My money is on Asy 2's as well... Bill uses these on his Ibiza race car at combe as wets... they just seem to work :)

<tuffty/>

The continentals I had on my RS Clio and they were pretty good..was also toying with the toyo t1-r too as they get some good reviews...
Don't think iv used goodyears on anything iv had,gonna have a look at those..

My money is on Asy 2's as well... Bill uses these on his Ibiza race car at combe as wets... they just seem to work :)

<tuffty/>

I reckon the MPSS will be taking them over very shortly, just as soon as Michelin get the ****** correct fitment over here for my 18s :(

The pilot super sport is better in the dry, but theres better options for the wet (including the tyres i mentioned above) and in reality given the weather we have here, wet weather performance is THE important factor.

Reviews of the super sport are still a bit thin on the ground, but for example:

2012 Sport Auto Summer Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

2011 Autoreview Max Performance Summer Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

If it were a summer fun toy and track car, the super sports probably give an alright balance of streetability vs track performance without going to a serious semi-slick, but for an every day car, driven in the standard UK weather (ie rain), i dont think its a great option.

The pilot super sport is better in the dry, but theres better options for the wet (including the tyres i mentioned above) and in reality given the weather we have here, wet weather performance is THE important factor.

Reviews of the super sport are still a bit thin on the ground, but for example:

2012 Sport Auto Summer Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

2011 Autoreview Max Performance Summer Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

If it were a summer fun toy and track car, the super sports probably give an alright balance of streetability vs track performance without going to a serious semi-slick, but for an every day car, driven in the standard UK weather (ie rain), i dont think its a great option.

As I'm currently running PS3s, it's a natural progression to move onto the MPSS in the Michelin range of tyres - I can't see them being any worse than my PS3s and I haven't got any issues with using those in the moist/wet conditions.

Considering the size of MPSS I'm waiting on still hasn't even been shipped out to any distributors in the UK - it's no wonder the reviews are still very thin and bare in mind both of those links above are for 235/35/19 tyres - which little or none of us 8L lads would run anyway.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 2 all the time on every car I have owned.

Yeah iv found a few reviews that are based on the larger diameter tyre..No good if your running standard 17" alloys.
As Aragorn says above, a decent mix of dry and wet performance would be good. No point going super sports tyre as it would probably be more dangerous than anything else in bad weather.

No point going super sports tyre as it would probably be more dangerous than anything else in bad weather.

:uhm: 3m shorter braking distance when compared to the Michelin PS2 - and if anyone knows anything about performance tyres they'd know the PS2 was a great product.

So I'm not sure how the MPSS would 'probably' be more dangerous when it's already out performing one of their best products!?

:uhm: 3m shorter braking distance when compared to the Michelin PS2 - and if anyone knows anything about performance tyres they'd know the PS2 was a great product.

So I'm not sure how the MPSS would 'probably' be more dangerous when it's already out performing one of their best products!?

Maybe should have specified Track type tyre,not super sport..oops.

I meant no point in going for something like an R888 or A048 or other semi slick type tyre because, although they are great in summer,lets be honest we dont get too much of it these days..They would be shocking in the wet..

I have to agree with aragorn the prada spec 2's are awful in the wet and wear very quickly in the dry!

From personal experience i can only recommend the michelin pilot sports and the falken fk452's as great all rounders.

Best place to buy for me has always been camskill.

Got Hancook Evo V12's on the 18's,which feel really well planted for summer and I have just fitted some 17 TT wheels with Uniroyal MS66+ for winter,first impressions are good if not a bit noisier.

The Hankook S1 Evo2's (Successor to the V12's) do seem to get a great writeup for a mid-range/non-premium tyre, often performing on part with the Goodyears, Michelins etc. However i've also noticed that along with the improvements in performance, the price has been creeping up towards that of the Goodyears and Contis. Last time i looked there was only a few quid in it, at which point you might as well just get the premium brand!