S3 Tyre pressure question

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
I've been having a few issues with my power steering feeling a little heavy/lumpy when I lock the wheel whilst stationary. After a bit of reading I'm gonna see if the tyre pressure is contributing to this. I read a few threads on tyre pressure and was surprised by what I found. I've always ran my tyres at around 32psi but it seems many people are running up to 40psi. I had a look at the label on my fuel cap (which I never even noticed was there despite many refuels) and sure enough it recommends 39psi up front and 30psi on the rear.

This seems very high but guess they know what they are talking about. I even rang the place where I buy my tyres and he said I should run 32psi all round

on my s3 8p I have a set of Michelin pilot sport 4. 225/40/18

So should I pump them up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,256
The values on the fuel cap are what I use with no problems so far for my S3.

Reactions: Hookmonster
2011 door label states 43 psi on front, 3 people and 1 case in boot then 33 psi is ok on rears. This is what I run mine at. I would guess that 32 psi is far too low in the fronts.
Fully laden for my 2011 S3 is 45 psi front, 39 psi rear.
This is with the standard 18" rims and tyres

39psi front and 30psi for me on my S3 and no problems, on eagle f1 assy 3's.

I've always run 38/34 on 225/40/18's (now on PS4's too). 32 in the front is way too low! Your car must feel like jelly in the corners.

Stick to what the car manufacturer states in manual or on the petrol flap. They are set like that for reason after all Audi designed and built the car.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Use Audis pressures, they didn't guess the figures. Also if you front tyres are well worn that would make the steering feel even heavier.