S3 tyre pressure question

daviscup

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Is the S3 tyre pressure 39 front and 30 rear? Am I reading the info on the fuel flap correctly? It just seems like a rather large difference between front and back and I want to double check its correct.

depends on whether you have 17s or 18s and if you are fully laden or not.

It should give you the size on the left, then there'll be one with a picture of a load of bags - but I'm sure you've worked all this out.

The front is usually higher then the rear - never seen a difference of 9psi before, but I expect this is something to do with the weight distribution - heavier at the front than the back.

I'm sure one of the other S3 owners on here can confirm what you should be at.

I had the same confusion! I asked the question a while back and was told the "M+S" settings are for mud and snow. That only leaves the top settings for 225/40/18 XL tyres - and those are 39/30 as you say.

I have mine set at that and it seems fine.

When I got the car the rears were much higher and the ride was very bouncy over back roads but with the 39/30 settings it seems much better.

I meant to ask at the dealer but haven't got round to it.

Ok thanks guys. Looks like its right then but I will be at the dealers next Monday and I'll double check with them.

I thought the fronts were around 42 psi half laden, thats what mine says anyway but I have them set to 40.5 psi and find this ideal.

I've been running 39 & 30 also and car feels fine at that, must admit though I too was surprised at the difference as on FWD cars only usually about 2 psi difference.

Hmm,

I have mine 42/38 which is the other value on the sticker on the filler cap and seems correct for the 18" tyres on the car. Checked the handbook too. Its the same pressures the tyres were set at when I got the car.

I tried running the lower setting and its no where near as good ride or as grippy, the steering feeling felt vague where the ride was bouncy and quite unconfortable on a long run so i went back to the 42/38 and its been fine since.

I can't quite understand the little diagram on the filler cap either and could not be ***** speaking to audi customer services about it...