s3 tyre question

pumpaction

Reaction score
i am currently running conti sport contacts all round and my fronts are coming up for replacement,i am happy with the contis except i think they are a bit noisy so i have been looking at goodyear f1 asymetric or pirelli p zero.
on discussing this with my local a.t.s. they will not fit a pair only as they say it will mess up the 4wd system.
their argument is to do with the rolling radius not matching the almost new contis they fitted to the rear.
i pointed out that the new tyres on the rear and the now worn fronts would also have a different radius so it cant be that critical,however they insist they are correct and you must have 4 matching tyres fitted so unless i want to dump 2 perfectly good contis i cant switch brands. any advice appreciated..thanks

Go somewhere else! I had 2 Goodyear f1s asy 3 fitted to the front for 2 Pirelli p zeros back in December. leaving 2 Pirelli p zeros on the back still. I prefer the goodyears, smoother less noise and just feel more confident! I do have a thing against Pirelli though for some unknown reason :whistle2:

thanks max...i already was going to try another supplier but i was trying to establish whether a.t.s. had a valid point or are they just being awkward.

Go for PS4 Michelin imo from black circle or Camskill and get a 'local back street tyre garage' to fit them - works out alot cheaper.

Reactions: KentKid
If you are open for any tyre I would look at the michelin PS4 as well like what kash_v has said above. Nothing but good reviews but like I said, I can't fault the goodyears.

I spoke to a Audi mechanic a while ago and I mentioned about changing tyres in pairs and all 4. He said to me that on the road you will never be able to push your car to the absolute limit to actually notice the difference of the tread wear and performance. Then again, the mrs has got a new mx5 and changed one of her tyres due to a puncture and it did flash up the tyre warning on the dash due to the uneven tread wear but come off soon after. I think some cars are more sensitive than others.

But personally I had no problems whatsoever changing the front 2 and keeping the older rears.

Another vote for the Michelin PS4 tyres, they're solid in all driving conditions and have yet to fail me once despite all that I've thrown at them in a year and a half of service, replaced fronts with a new pair not long ago.

There's a good few others on here who are also running them.

Iv'e been hunting for tyres since Friday. ASDA seeem to be the cheapest for the Eagle F1 asymmetric 3. 3 x will cost me £256 if you apply discount code '1401234567'

PS4 I have currently are really good but not cheap

Not an expert by any means but I have changed the front two and not the backs at the same on my s3 and my old evo with no problems or query from the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks again for your responses,i will def put the ps4 on my list and go ahead with just fitting a pair on the fronts....cheers!

All tyres are given a noise rating, have a look at the tyres sales websites as they give noise ratings. Going just one db lower than you already have you won't notice any difference, go 2 or 3 db lower and they will sound quieter. I went for Falken ZE914XL only 68db compared to 71db on my old tyres, the difference was very noticeable.
As long a you fit the same size tyres front and back, the Haldex coupling will cope with the tiny difference in circumference, besides it is only part time 4wd anyway.