S3 v R v S4 v black edition etc etc

AlexG

Reaction score
Just got rid of my 2017 A4 tdi ultra, really good car, ideal for me for the miles I did and family etc. New company car is a golf GTE, the quality is definitely lower, feels less refined, pretty quick and I do love a hotish hatch. I'm leaving my job for one where my daily commute is 16 miles compared to my old 200 miles plus so something sportier is on the cards. Car will be 4/5 door, auto, max about £20k. What would you get for a family of 4, I have a roof rack for the bikes and box, I know what specs all the cars are and I'm a petrol head at heart so would pay the extra for black edition over a s line and get a GTI edition over a GTI. S3 2014 with about 60k on is top of my list but just wondering what other people have picked.

I went for a 2015 S4 Avant because there was little out there that offered petrol, supercharger, AWD and estate. I used a roofbox as well for holidays. Great car, ticks every box to be honest and the CREC engine in the B8.5 is pretty economical as well and doesn't suffer the carbon problem with the valves both thanks to MPI.

Mine also a 2015 CREC engine'd S4, regularly see high 30's and if in no particular rush then low 40 quiet possible (not often).
It's also a Black Edition, so comes with the B&O sound system, electric heated seats (S/Sport an option but not standard), obviously all black trim and grill, heated adjustable door mirrors and auto dipping interior mirror, plus some other bits I forget as standard.

Last edited:
Mine also a 2015 CREC engine'd S4, regularly see high 30's and if in no particular rush then low 40 quiet possible (not often).
It's also a Black Edition, so comes with the B&O sound system, electric heated seats (S/Sport an option but not standard), obviously all black trim and grill, heated adjustable door mirrors and auto dipping interior mirror, plus some other bits I forget as standard.

Nice, mine is also a Black Edition but no heated seats - although the alcantara part doesn't seem to get all that cold so far. One annoyance is that there's various places online which says it should have a reversing camera as standard but mine doesn't have one.

Although the S3 Sportback (5-door) is a decent size and can fit 4 adults comfortably it really depends on the space you require plus the extra tackle with a family of four. Personally with a family I'd got a smidge larger and opt for the S4 Avant :salute:

As an S3 owner, get an S4 or bigger. Lower miles means you can get a bigger ride and get all the comfort and space. I’d also 2nd Harvey and say go for the Avant too If you can find one in the budget