S3 vs 370Z

130tc

Reaction score
You may have seen my other thread in the R8 section, but it got me thinking, seeing as the S3 is Audi's "small coupe/hatchback sportscar" how does it compare to the 370z? they are around the same price range, the nissan is more powerful however the S3 has a 4WD system and has room for kids in the back. Casting badge allegiances aside which would you go for?:blackrs4:?

If the 370 is anything like the 350 then i wouldnt fit in it. look at the roof line. !! what do you do if you are tall ? Answer !!slide the seat back and as soon as you do that the roof hight drops sharply..........stupid car !!!

You may have seen my other thread in the R8 section, but it got me thinking, seeing as the S3 is Audi's "small coupe/hatchback sportscar" how does it compare to the 370z? they are around the same price range, the nissan is more powerful however the S3 has a 4WD system and has room for kids in the back. Casting badge allegiances aside which would you go for?:blackrs4:?

Ey? I'm confused, Audi's Small coupe/hatchback sportscar is the TT not the S3!

TT v 370z, now thats more of a debate!

Obviously I do drive an S3,but there's someone not too far from me who owns a 370Z with the Nismo exhausts etc....now,even before having the boost turned back up on my S3,it was rather faster than the 370Z.

Nuff said.

well they are two different cars and not obvious to compare, but on the basis i'm here then by default i've chosen the S3.

I dont personally like the Nissan, it's quite dumpy looking and a bit odd inside. If I was in the market for a coupe of that ilk then i'd have the TTS over the Nissan, and I'd have a Porsche Cayman over the both of them!

Out of the two S3 defo.

If it was my money S2000 all day long! :anbet:

I still miss my old one! :(

Leave the forum now :p lol

I would have compared the TTS/TTRS to the 370z before the S3 :S

+1

Sat in one the other day and I was not impressed with the ergonomics and layout...
For me it will be Porsche Cayman > TTRS > TTS > JCW in the small coupe section. The Nissan's just not my kind of car...

I will be brief as I am not the biggest fan of these 'Vs' threads, especially as I question the motivation to post two 'Vs' threads in quick succession - I mean if you have an RS6 and are thinking about R8s, what is the relevance of this thread?

Anyway, my bold: what car are you talking about, TT surely? I agree you have the hatchback correct, but coupe and sportscar, hardly mate. Bite/

Last edited:
Having come from an imported Nissan 350Z (Fairlady Z in Japan) I'd stick to my S3 any day. Yes fun to drive but doesn't quite have the comforts and feel of my S3. Not sure about the 370Z, i watched an old repeat on Dave last night with the BMW Z4 (3.0i) and 370Z with Clarkson comparing the two and must say I thought the 370Z looked gorgeous! Though he suggested on track it's a great car but on the road it's not so good!

Think AutoExpress did a group test on the TTS, Cayman and 370Z recently. As you would expect, the Cayman came 1st followed by TTS and lastly 370Z.

Personally, I would prefer the S3, even if it was a choice between Cayman, TTS and S3 I would still most likely have the S3.

I had a 370z demo for the morning a couple of weekends ago.

I loved the looks and the inside was pretty good too and absolutely loaded with toys for £31k in GT format.

I noticed they put 95 ron fuel in before I went off for my drive so I may need to cut it some slack, the car was a nice place to be and looked mean and moody in Black with polished 192 alloy and massive tyres.

Performance was just ok, definetly slower than my S3 in all scenarios, the engine/exhaust note really disappointed as you couldn't hear either over huge amounts of tyre roar, I really wanted to love it but instead handed back the keys with a shrug of the shoulders.

This last weekend I drove a friends Cayman s, get inside and you can clearly see which market the 370z is aimed but they have missed by miles, again my S3 would still be quicker than the Cayman but it made all the right noises and felt great, leagues ahead of the 370Z.

Now 370Z v Cayman S V TTs/RS ?

For me TTs based on price and the extra kid friendly rear bench, if no kids Cayman S all the way.

In the last week we have been umming and arring about whether to keep the S3 into MoT territory, or get rid as it turns 3 years old.

I've been looking at S5 (2nd hand), S4, TT-S, Cayman S (2nd hand), 335i, 335d, Z4 3.5 and so far I'm no closer to making up my mind as to what is an improvement (based on cost / performance) to what we have now. I like the Nissan 370Z, just as long as it's on someone else's drive, as its a car I respect, not a car I'd aspire to own.

The S3 is a great car, it lacks a touch of involvement and is coming close to a point where it is starting to feel a bit strained performance wise.

The new S4 is looking favourite, it's whether I can tolerate another 3 years of Audi aftercare without counseling!

So on the contenders stated above I have to say S3.

I thought the new S4 was a gem but active diff and dynamic suspension needed as standard, quite conservative looking but a nice S3 replacement - good call.

I thought the new S4 was a gem but active diff and dynamic suspension needed as standard, quite conservative looking but a nice S3 replacement - good call.

I'd be going for both in Sprint blue (+ sport seats / DVD nav / Bang Olusfen pack / Bluetooth / 19's / Parking + / comfort pack / cruise / adaptive lights).

It forces you in the configurator to take tandem options (sports seats forces you to have through load ski hatch at £155). Likewise with Audi Drive Select you have to either have uprated Quattro diff or active steering adding another £400-£700).

I wanted to spend no more than £38k and its coming in at well over £40k, so the Audi dealers had better be offering discounts, or it may be a 335i/335d!

I say S4 as well - diff and suspension are a must though, which makes it quite 'spensive :sorry:

Upcoming S5 Sportback? Or, of course, a 335i? :whistle2:

I say S4 as well - diff and suspension are a must though, which makes it quite 'spensive :sorry:

Upcoming S5 Sportback? Or, of course, a 335i? :whistle2:

The S5 V8 sounds lovely (would have to be the 2 door due to wanting to keep people out of the back, and ensure the wife doesn't get any ideas about kids!), but I hear rumours it will also be available in 3.0V6T form in the not too distant future. Appeals to me more than the lazy V8.

The S5 V8 sounds lovely (would have to be the 2 door due to wanting to keep people out of the back, and ensure the wife doesn't get any ideas about kids!), but I hear rumours it will also be available in 3.0V6T form in the not too distant future. Appeals to me more than the lazy V8.

So no S4 then! My own wife already had ideas about kids, and still has, so everything I have is doored right up :happy:

So no S4 then! My own wife already had ideas about kids, and still has, so everything I have is doored right up :happy:

I'll have the door handles removed and the shuts welded up!

It'd have to be a 335d (mapped) ;)

Is tempting. However, 335d only comes as a tiptronic auto (no manual option), but I won't judge too hard until I test it. All that extra power and trick gearbox, and the 0-60 is only 0.1s faster than the 330d manual :confused:

Leads me to believe not all auto gearboxes are created equal.

Last edited:
I have a 335d and it produces 350bhp, 0 - 60 around 5.3 secs and returns 39 mpg on average. It handles really well and feels very secure in all but extreme conditions but I personally prefer a manual so passed ownership of the 335 to the wife who is one very happy lady plus I get to drive it whenever it takes my fancy, its brilliant and long refined trips and even some spirited country lane driving but I want to change gear myself :(

I took it on a couple of track days where it was really quick etc but still insisted on changing gears for me despite being in manual, if you can live with this you will love it but be warned it's a very roomy car inside so plenty of room for kids :)

but I want to change gear myself :(
Ditto, call me old fashioned, but I just like it that way.

I took it on a couple of track days where it was really quick etc but still insisted on changing gears for me despite being in manual, if you can live with this you will love it but be warned it's a very roomy car inside so plenty of room for kids :)
Kids my @r$e! I have the good fortune to be a Godparent and that's enough responsibility for one lifetime. I'm too old for kids now.

What worries me is you'd have an S3 over a 335d for the key reason I wouldn't want a 335d.

I want more cubic capacity, more symphony, more cylinders. Not bothered about no. of seats (2 will do), MPG (driving is to be enjoyed, not rules by economising), tax costs, ONLY servicing must be reasonable-ish (less than a grand a pop).

I guess it's not that simple in my case because it would have been a much harder decision if the 335d actually left the driveway, in my case I get to use both so the S3 supplements the qualities of the 335d.

It is really worth having an extended test drive in the BM as its a great place to spend time, the wife has covered 30,000 in 14 months, 1 service so far at @ 19,000 that cost £120, she wouldn't be in anything else now, me I just love the 500lb of torque available, amazing !