S3 vs Astra vxr

Audilad1

Reaction score
Hey all just seen an astra vxr, Civic type R, S3 on the motorway having a bit of a play,
I didn't see the outcome was just wondering how you guys think this would play out.
The VXR looked pretty damn quick would the S3 give it a good run

Providing the VXR wasn't tuned, the S3 will be quicker and 4WD. I'd of thought it would of planned out being the S3 then the VXR and finishing with the Civic!

Last edited:
the type r is ok but the vxr is a fast car in a strait line but when you hit the corners the audi is untouchable because of the quattro full stop really

I just relised I posted this in the wrong part I meant one of the older S3's sorry guys, could this be moved possibly. Sorry guys am posting from my phone.

i've had an ep3, still got, it proper fast especially if it tuned then it faster then the s3 in straight line e.g. motorway then type r always wins but s3 is faster than ep3 (standard models) and always beats it in the coners (type r can not beat s3 handling, ep3 handling so crap lol) with the vxr i have heard they are quick but never drove any or raced any but i have also heard they are porly built. if was to have any of these cars i would have the ep3 for power speed and kitting up as this is the best for that, the s3 for the name, build quality and feel/comfort or they vxr if i was on a a budget as it is very quick and powerful for the price they go for it, over all i think the s3 is the best but also the most expensive

The reality is in all this kind of scenario....it comes down to who is the bravest or the daftest. In a motorway dash quatro is just going to slow things down but as all these car s will do 140+mph it comes down to who doesn't like their license that much any more :laugh:
I have been beaten by most things on the M/Way inc white van man simply because i draw the line at 99mph, anything more than that and its a ban. Its at this point you wonder what the point is in fast cars when a 2.0d A4 will cruise comfortably at 100mph all day at half the cost of my A3...:search:

The reality is in all this kind of scenario....it comes down to who is the bravest or the daftest. In a motorway dash quatro is just going to slow things down but as all these car s will do 140+mph it comes down to who doesn't like their license that much any more :laugh:
I have been beaten by most things on the M/Way inc white van man simply because i draw the line at 99mph, anything more than that and its a ban. Its at this point you wonder what the point is in fast cars when a 2.0d A4 will cruise comfortably at 100mph all day at half the cost of my A3...:search:

Not saying I dont delve into the realms of terminal velocity..but otherwise on the motorway I totally agree, I only cruise at 75ish in the Audi so I can get half decent economy, whereas in my old Bora PD I would go 95-100 the whole time and still get 45mpg!

I agree with this, I was speaking hyperthetically, i generally keep to the limits on motorway - only ever been to £110 fastest and then i get scared and fear for my life and not to mention if you get caught your licence is vrooom gone. 99.99% of the time i'm alwaysdriving with in the limit (some times not out of choice as they have put a load of average spped cameras on the motorways i use to commute)

Best thing about moving up North...no M25 and V speed camera's :)

Best thing about moving up North...no M25 and V speed camera's :)

oop norf there are no laws!

I love living in shropshire, sod all traffic, very few cameras and welsh B road only 10 mins drive away!

I owned a VXR previously for around 2 years and i have to say that the the VXR is far more torque heavy at lower revs compared to the S3. Maybe this only seems apparent because the S3 is a heavy car for a hot hatch. The VXR may handle like a pig around corners, but on the straight the S3 would have its work cut out.

played with couple of VXR's in my 8L stage 1 and only just beat, including the nurburgring edition..... id have said though that a mapped VXR versus a stage 1 S3 wouldnt be far apart...... the only issue is the weight, however i seem to remember some mid gear testing done a while back comparing these cars (8P S3) and the Focus RS..... and the S3 came out tops!! a lot of factors to take into account though and id definitely say the S3 wouldnt be outperformed on the straight, although i dont know who'd win.

Back to the thread, 8L mapped will win, VXR mapped, bye bye 8L S3