S3 vs Golf8R

Did anybody see what it says logo wise on the right side of the S3 boot? ABT
Perhaps the Golf R 320 stock runs around 350, whereas the S3 stock runs around 320, and after ABT tune, runs around 350? I mean in all other drag races the Golf R is way ahead, even keeping pace with the A45 S.

Reactions: NevMan
Did anybody see what it says logo wise on the right side of the S3 boot? ABT
Perhaps the Golf R 320 stock runs around 350, whereas the S3 stock runs around 320, and after ABT tune, runs around 350? I mean in all other drag races the Golf R is way ahead, even keeping pace with the A45 S.

Yeah did notice that.

Did wonder but in the comments they say standard cars. And I know comments were deleted regarding that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btw. the 8R has the ABT badge on as well.
so imo either both were tuned (and since the hardware is all the same, the software just "leveled" them) or none was.
but if it's the latter then the question becomes how come the 8R turned out to be so much quicker in the other tests ?
(maybe this one is **** or perhaps VW sent out some ""improved"" press cars to everyone earlier :D)

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that 8R is slightly more powerful ( and lighter ) than the S3 which translates well into what this video is showing us.
For some reason only in the UK the 8R's seem to be ungodly fast, or rather the S3's are ungodly slow.
I got my saloon s3 and after the break-in period i've ran dragy on it and its running 4.4 0-100 kmh with a 12.4 1/4 mile.
One other thing i've noticed on ALL clips showing the S3 launching is that from 1st to 2nd gear in S, the s3 shortshifts at 5.5k, dropping out of the powerband which has a snowball effect on the entire race. The R does not short shift.
All in all the cars are hw wise identical if you don't get the performance pack in the 8R and once they will get tunned all the differences between them will disappear.
IMHO VAG differentiated the 2 in this iteration by making the s3 more of a gentleman fast small saloon and the 8R the more " track focused" one.

Reactions: alanyork and NevMan
My personal opinion is that 8R is slightly more powerful ( and lighter ) than the S3 which translates well into what this video is showing us.
For some reason only in the UK the 8R's seem to be ungodly fast, or rather the S3's are ungodly slow.
I got my saloon s3 and after the break-in period i've ran dragy on it and its running 4.4 0-100 kmh with a 12.4 1/4 mile.
One other thing i've noticed on ALL clips showing the S3 launching is that from 1st to 2nd gear in S, the s3 shortshifts at 5.5k, dropping out of the powerband which has a snowball effect on the entire race. The R does not short shift.
All in all the cars are hw wise identical if you don't get the performance pack in the 8R and once they will get tunned all the differences between them will disappear.
IMHO VAG differentiated the 2 in this iteration by making the s3 more of a gentleman fast small saloon and the 8R the more " track focused" one.
The Golf R = 1554kg the S3 sport back = 1500 kg the 320 ps ea888 engine is more powerful than what Volkswagen and Audi state as l have been driving an Audi TT with it fitted the difference is quite noticeable especially in say in gear acceleration 50-70 mph etc etc also sounds better as well Audi will fit it into the S3 come facelift time but it's clear to see why they've fitted it to the G8R as it out sells the S3.
The Golf R MK7/7-5 was also the better drivers car over the 8V S3 even though they had the same power the Golf MK7/7-5 flew out of the showrooms as VAG offered Car leasing companies exceptional incentives and deals to do so....same might happen with G8R

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Hi, can i ask you where are you getting your facts from ?
What does "Golf R = 1554kg the S3 sport back = 1500 kg" mean ? Am i to understand that all golfs R are 1554 kg while the S3 sb are 1500 kg ?
Never has a S3 been lighter than a Golf with same options and furthermore in the clip above they clearly state the weights of the cars as you can clearly see below.

Just to make sure you are coming across right ... you are stating that the current engine in the S3 is ea888 gen3 ? That's total nonsense; both engines are ea888 gen4, and like i stated before unless you pick the performance pack on the 8R they are identical HW wise with very small variations on auxiliary pieces. Or who knows .. maybe the Uk s3 8y's got the gen3 engine ... I am lucky because i've got the gen4.

In my opinion VAG gave the G8R a bigger power boost and the possibility of a nicer dif in order to compensate for the fact that currently a Golf 8 R is more expensive then a S3 when in all categories except acceleration the S3 trashes the golf (in my opinion).
And when i say it trashes it i mean the S3 looks better inside and outside, the interior quality is better in the audi and you still have buttons for your HVAC and other basic controls like traction control. .. (so better ergonomics by miles)
I am in no way against progress and very much a tech oriented guy but what vw did with the interior in terms of touch buttons and such is just bad.
I would pick and day of the week the 7.5 R with the 8R engine.

Reactions: AdamInKent
1500 kg for the S3 looks reasonable - its is what Audi quote in the tech specs. saloon is 5kg more

1F9A2343 57E2 411E 85A9 A952E061F994

Reactions: Jassyo06
What does "Golf R = 1554kg the S3 sport back = 1500 kg" mean ? Am i to understand that all golfs R are 1554 kg while the S3 sb are 1500 kg ?
Never has a S3 been lighter than a Golf with same options and furthermore in the clip above they clearly state the weights of the cars as you can clearly see below.
View attachment 239046
Just to make sure you are coming across right ... you are stating that the current engine in the S3 is ea888 gen3 ? That's total nonsense; both engines are ea888 gen4, and like i stated before unless you pick the performance pack on the 8R they are identical HW wise with very small variations on auxiliary pieces. Or who knows .. maybe the Uk s3 8y's got the gen3 engine ... I am lucky because i've got the gen4.

In my opinion VAG gave the G8R a bigger power boost and the possibility of a nicer dif in order to compensate for the fact that currently a Golf 8 R is more expensive then a S3 when in all categories except acceleration the S3 trashes the golf (in my opinion).
And when i say it trashes it i mean the S3 looks better inside and outside, the interior quality is better in the audi and you still have buttons for your HVAC and other basic controls like traction control. .. (so better ergonomics by miles)
I am in no way against progress and very much a tech oriented guy but what vw did with the interior in terms of touch buttons and such is just bad.
Audi and VW Websites state the weights in the configuration section

View attachment 239046

Gen 4 EA888 320 ps engine same as in the 8Y S3 and G8R although VAG don't fit the new GEN 4 engine cover like Audi do and do 310ps in the 8Y S3 as you know

Attachments

• 20210628_200731.jpg
    20210628_200731.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
Weight stats are very weird.
The local configurator shows 1554 kg base for R and 1575 kg for base S3 hb.

German configurator sais 1575kgs also

Anyway, long story short is that i believe that this clip depicts the real difference between the cars. Thats what 10hp extra and not a short shift from 1st to 2nd look like. (if we agree that they are of similar weight)

Last edited:
Weight stats are very weird.
The local configurator shows 1554 kg base for R and 1575 kg for base S3 hb.
View attachment 239057

View attachment 239058

German configurator sais 1575kgs also
View attachment 239060

Anyway, long story short is that i believe that this clip depicts the real difference between the cars. Thats what 10hp extra and not a short shift from 1st to 2nd look like. (if we agree that they are of similar weight)

European sites quoted weights include 75kg to allow for driver and fuel tank 90% per EU regs

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Yes but the difference between R and S3 its still at the S3's disadvantage on .de configurator.

Yes but the difference between R and S3 its still at the S3's disadvantage on .de configurator.

What point are you trying to make? S3 is heavier and so slower? Maybe so, but the differing HP obv makes a difference and maybe the hatbox map is more aggressive in the 8R.

What point are you trying to make? S3 is heavier and so slower? Maybe so, but the differing HP obv makes a difference and maybe the hatbox map is more aggressive in the 8R.
I was answering when challenged regarding the weight of the s3 vs R.
My point i think i made clear in my first post on this thread.

IMHO, I doubt the small difference in weight and HP/torque would be significant.

Instead, the key difference is the AWD system. Golf R gets the torque vectoring system that is like the RS3, whereas the S3 gets the haldex. Golf R clearly wins in this department. That said, if I were in the market, I'd still rather get the S3 for its better interior (though I think it is worse than the 8V interior).

IMHO, I doubt the small difference in weight and HP/torque would be significant.

Instead, the key difference is the AWD system. Golf R gets the torque vectoring system that is like the RS3, whereas the S3 gets the haldex. Golf R clearly wins in this department. That said, if I were in the market, I'd still rather get the S3 for its better interior (though I think it is worse than the 8V
Thr Golf R/TTS engine is more powerful reason being having owned a 300 ps S3 and a 310ps S3 the engine in the TTS is more powerful far more torque and a good bit faster end of

I do not doubt your observation that the TTS feels faster than the S3, but it might have very little to do with the extra 10 hp, but more the form (aerodynamics), ride height (less squat), and weight (TTS should be quite a bit lighter than S3).

I guess my point is, the 10 hp between 8Y S3 and Golf R8 is probably not that critical to consider (and is a rather simple fix if needed), but the difference in AWD is pretty big. I mean the Golf R8 gets the RS3 torque vectoring AWD (perhaps a detuned version with different software, but still better hardware than the S3).

I do not doubt your observation that the TTS feels faster than the S3, but it might have very little to do with the extra 10 hp, but more the form (aerodynamics), ride height (less squat), and weight (TTS should be quite a bit lighter than S3).

I guess my point is, the 10 hp between 8Y S3 and Golf R8 is probably not that critical to consider (and is a rather simple fix if needed), but the difference in AWD is pretty big. I mean the Golf R8 gets the RS3 torque vectoring AWD (perhaps a detuned version with different software, but still better hardware than the S3).
The TTS is only 55kg lighter than my last S3 8v = 1475 kg that's not much in comparison to the performance difference, my TT doesn't have the trick rear drift diff either like the Golf R has ...it probably doesn't need it within 2 minutes out of the dealership Hand over bay l could tell l had a good bit more power under my right foot than in my previous cars particularly in how the car sets off ie the way it pushes you back into your seat Audi/Volkswagen are being a little conservative with how much power this EA888 variant has its a kick in the teeth to 8Y S3 owners but hey you pays your money ye take your choice

@VWNCC
I personally do not think that the diff makes any difference in straight line performance because we've seen the cars race from a dig and 1st gear they start totally level and from a roll the R moves along ... thats just pure power difference as the weight between them 2 is neglijable.

Could the difference be a better tcu tune and maybe different gear ratios?
Ive seen some 8v/7.5 with a tcu tune and it did make a difference in how the car launches and holds on to gears. If that was coupled with lower ratios in the early gears then that will make a huge difference in 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.

@VWNCC
I personally do not think that the diff makes any difference in straight line performance because we've seen the cars race from a dig and 1st gear they start totally level and from a roll the R moves along ... thats just pure power difference as the weight between them 2 is neglijable.

I am not saying that the AWD makes any difference in the drag race. I am saying that, for the enthusiast consumer, when considering the Golf 8R vs. the 8Y S3, the power difference is not as important as the difference in AWD system (I mean, Golf R7 used to be mechanically identical to the 8V S3, but the Golf 8R now gets a small power bump and the RS3 diff). Both favor the Golf 8R anyways though, but the RS3 diff is certainly the bigger WOW Factor!!. Though, the golf's interior is clearly worse than the 8Y S3, so I guess there is still reasons to go S3.

Reactions: Chris4410, 8YARWY and Jassyo06
Merchant banker….love it
He is, but nowhere near as much as one of his mates TGE. He is the chief merchant banker
I dont think he’s anywhere near as bad as Hamilton - “oh I just fancied an RS6, i know i sold one a few weeks ago but i wanted another brand new one“ ******* bellend.

Reactions: Chris4410 and NevMan
@jassyo06 i don't take dyno numbers for granted because the dyno is a comparison tool, not a final numbers tool.
There's a video out there of Forge Motorsports dyno-ing a 8R with aa stock output of 358 hp :) ... and with small intake upgrades it goes to 374.
On the other hand all over the place the 8R has been dyno'd at over or around 340 .... so that should be somewhat of a indicator.

@jassyo06 i don't take dyno numbers for granted because the dyno is a comparison tool, not a final numbers tool.
There's a video out there of Forge Motorsports dyno-ing a 8R with aa stock output of 358 hp :) ... and with small intake upgrades it goes to 374.
On the other hand all over the place the 8R has been dyno'd at over or around 340 .... so that should be somewhat of a indicator.
Technical power specs tuned or not are of no interest to me l have never remapped any of my cars as they've always been more than powerful enough for myself l was just pointing out that the Golf 8 R is a good bit more powerful than an S3 sport back and in my opinion better looking than the S3 sport back
As for Youtubers the Golf 8R is a dream come true for them Audi knows this all too well so it's best not too get hung up on trivial Drag races
The Golf 8 r hype will fade away into the background as soon as the next youtuber wet dream car comes along and that car is just around the corner thee RS8 8Y

I dont think he’s anywhere near as bad as Hamilton - “oh I just fancied an RS6, i know i sold one a few weeks ago but i wanted another brand new one“ ******* bellend.

Can’t argue with that. Daddy’s money

Reactions: Chris4410
Those two ****** Archie and TGE are as bad as each other, I can’t understand the size of their YouTube following. How anyone can listen to either of them for more than 2 seconds is beyond me.

Those two ****** Archie and TGE are as bad as each other, I can’t understand the size of their YouTube following. How anyone can listen to either of them for more than 2 seconds is beyond me.

Agree completely mate!

Reactions: Chris4410