S3 vs Type-R

Stormcatcher

Reaction score
Anyone had a run in with the Civic Tpye -r . What was the outcome.

I know a chipped S3 would annihalate it but what about the std car?

I've read on previous post's that a standard would be quicker how true that is i dont know would hope it is though.It should just on the fact it has a dam site more torque than the civic which you have to rev the nuts off to get anywhere.

I have raced numerous Civic and they are about equal, but on Dual Carriageways and Motorways above 100 the S3 is much better and the Civic could not get away as I came past :0).

Stuart_A3_Turbo, could well of wasted one, due to the amount of Torque he should have from the remap normally 240 ft/lb against the civics 145 ! But again what does wasted mean ?

I don't even bother with Type Rs.

They're normally driven by little overexcited boys with fake Burberry caps and tiny boxer shorts.

Save my Optimax for the big boys.

I test drove a Type R at the w/e and was disappointed, felt totally gutless until 6k rev's then it picks up a bit. I was surprised as I thought it would feel nippy!

Pulled up at some traffic lights yesterday with one actually - initially off the blocks I was quicker probably by about a car length, then he started gaining on me when I was near red-lining in 3rd but as soon as I changed into 4th I just left him for dead (mines a stnd 210)

shoddy timing gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, 6.4 is a fast time. To achieve 6.4 in the S3 you would need a perfect start.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
shoddy timing gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, 6.4 is a fast time. To achieve 6.4 in the S3 you would need a perfect start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see Rich has got to you as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

My 1/4 time would of been better but I think I held on to 2nd gear for too long which gave me a great 0-60 but the end time should of been quicker based on the speed at which I gained and flew past Rich at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not forgetting the S3 would need a change of gear to get 60, unlike the A3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Just out of interest, how quick do chipped S3's do on the 1/4mile sprint?

I'm looking at figures for just a chip..

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Just out of interest, how quick do chipped S3's do on the 1/4mile sprint?

I'm looking at figures for just a chip..

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know but I'm planning to find out in March!

Me too. I'm getting AmD'd soon and was wondering what the 0-60 is after the mod, and also how the 1/4 mile is affected. Surely someone on here has done a sprint with a chipped S3?

Mid 5's to 60 should be about right, given a good start.

About 14 seconds - perhaps just under - for the quarter should be easily achievable...perhaps even faster.

I seem to recall 5.4 0-60 (could have been 5.6) for my best run at GTI Int'l last year and I think it was just a shade under 14 - 13.98 rings a bell.

Just remember folks that even if you add 100BHP to an S3, the 0-60 won't drop by as much as you'd expect as the damn thing will only do 57 MHP in 2nd at the limiter...and the change to 3rd costs you a good half a second or more.

Standing quarter isn't reduced by as much as youd expect either, as the thing still won't rev any better.

But the flexibility in gears is vastly improved. Don't get hung up on relatively meaningless numbers.