S4 avant exhaust

Danny Reid

Reaction score
Looking to get a new exhaust system for my B8 S4 avant and was wondering what i should go for any advice would be appreciated.

there are all sort out there custom, milltek, scorpion, armytrix, awe, capristo and so on.

Budget and what kind of sound you want to achieve are some of the factors too.

have a listen on YouTube and see which one you prefer this might help you choose.

Is your car DSG? If so be very cautious as they can drone badly. I have a thread relating to my disaster having an exhaust made. I spent a lot more than I expected just to get the car to a drivable state.

You haven't stated why you're after a new exhaust. That information may help with recommendations.

If it's for a power increase, don't bother as there won't be one, that's tangible.

And as above, if you have an S-tronic, expect drone!

Paul

As I have mentioned if you type drone into the search of the B8 forum you will see the issues first hand. As far as I am aware and others correct me if I'm wrong the only guaranteed drone free exhaust is the new Scorpion one labelled drone free. But if my trial and error is anything to go by it will not be much louder than standard. I ended up basically replacing all the factory boxes again albeit in stainless to get rid of the horrendous drone. As mentioned above power gains are minimal, if its for looks just change the trims, if its for sound try swapping the centre box with an x pipe first. If you like move of not cheap to return to factory. I started off thinking I was being clever having one made so it would be cheaper and ended up with a lot of scrap stainless in my garage and double the bill I expected. I do still have two stainless straight through boxes and a stainless x pipe in 2.5" if you want to try your luck at your own system.

I have been pondering switching my tips to black but Audi wanted 100 notes a pair! Maybe go custom for 2 X black oval as I'm sure could do that for same sort of price.

Unless anyone used non OEM black tips??

As I have mentioned if you type drone into the search of the B8 forum you will see the issues first hand. As far as I am aware and others correct me if I'm wrong the only guaranteed drone free exhaust is the new Scorpion one labelled drone free. But if my trial and error is anything to go by it will not be much louder than standard. I ended up basically replacing all the factory boxes again albeit in stainless to get rid of the horrendous drone. As mentioned above power gains are minimal, if its for looks just change the trims, if its for sound try swapping the centre box with an x pipe first. If you like move of not cheap to return to factory. I started off thinking I was being clever having one made so it would be cheaper and ended up with a lot of scrap stainless in my garage and double the bill I expected. I do still have two stainless straight through boxes and a stainless x pipe in 2.5" if you want to try your luck at your own system.

Any links to the x pipe you speak about? I would like a little more volume in mine.

Would also like to change the tips to something more purposeful as they don't really fill the existing gap IMO.

Inkedfile 85 LI

I had tips made as I didn't like the options available.

I actually have two X pipes. One is a Magna flow bought through fleebay. I didn't like the quality so bought another through longlife exhausts. Its a 304 grade stainless 2.5 inch. If its trial and error as to what you like I would start with the Magna flow it cheap on the afore mentioned site. If you like it after a few days you can always upgrade if you wish.

Am I right in thinking the existing tips are welded on ?

I actually have two X pipes. One is a Magna flow bought through fleebay. I didn't like the quality so bought another through longlife exhausts. Its a 304 grade stainless 2.5 inch. If its trial and error as to what you like I would start with the Magna flow it cheap on the afore mentioned site. If you like it after a few days you can always upgrade if you wish.
I did read your OP buy forget, did you ever fit just the X pipe, with the rest of the system stock?

Paul

I have been pondering switching my tips to black but Audi wanted 100 notes a pair! Maybe go custom for 2 X black oval as I'm sure could do that for same sort of price.

Unless anyone used non OEM black tips??

My S4 came as an approved used Audi with a sports exhaust, that translated into a Milltek system with big single black ovals - looks the part, as long as RS owners don't think that I'm having a laugh!

Try BCS back boxes cheaper than a full exhaust,and no drone

An answer to an earlier post: I didn't try the x pipe alone. After hearing the sound clips on You tube I didn't like the raspy sound. To be honest half the reason for looking at the exhaust at all was the rasp that sounded like the baffles were breaking up on the standard system and the rather small tail pipes.

Just looked at the ebay link above. At that price its worth a punt. Just keep hold of your old system for couple of weeks. You will always be able to re-sell if its not what your after at that price.