S4 Avant rear suspension lower mounts ware

Keef

Reaction score
I posted this under my main thread so apologies for a bit of a repost. But I’m hopeful that by making a specific post I’ll reach a wider audience!

my car is an S4 avant with dynamic suspension and sports diff but not sure if that’s relevant.

Both of the lower rear suspension mounts appear to be badly perished and Audi recommended to replace them. The car is 3.5 years old and I’ve only done 22.5k miles.

I’m still in 4th year warranty but apparently they are not covered and my dealers quoted £270 to replace both sides.

I have asked Audi CS what is the envisaged life span and they said the need replacement after 3-4 years but this doesn’t seem to be documented oh and they won’t offer any good will!

All seems a bit odd to me but has anyone had the same issue?

cheers
K
CE4420F1 1431 412D 8A65 FD531826B7E1

Certainly it seems to becoming more common, mine has slight splitting after 17400 miles..

Last edited:
Just had exactly the same issue. Both rear mounts split on a 17 plate with 18,000 easy miles. Did you get any satisfaction from Audi? They wanted £250 a corner. It seems excessive amount of wear to me?

Reactions: Keef
@Wagondriver sorry only just seen this post. Coincidentally, I’m booked in tomorrow to have this fixed. Had a right battle with Audi CS as they would not acknowledge it was a defect or covered by warranty. I suggested that the part wasn’t fit for purpose to degrade so quickly. I even asked them to be in writing that it wouldn’t affect the safety of the car. Which CS kept stating verbally but would commit to writing.

In the end my local dealers workshop manager got involved. He’s been great and has agreed to change both sides for £120 total. At least by paying something I get 12 months warranty on the work.

I was orginally quoted £270 total, so £250 per side seems excessive.

Bit crazy really, I would have expected those to last years, maybe 10 or so.

My upper control arm bushings are worn, however I haven't been able to locate a clunk which I’ve been hearing. Just waiting for things to get worse until it reveals itself.

I feel as though this car has good suspension comfort for an s line Audi, however it’s achieved by softer bushes rather than a good shock and spring setup.

My last A6 got to 10+ years old and 180k or so and only in the last 5k of that needed upper arms.

@Wagondriver sorry only just seen this post. Coincidentally, I’m booked in tomorrow to have this fixed. Had a right battle with Audi CS as they would not acknowledge it was a defect or covered by warranty. I suggested that the part wasn’t fit for purpose to degrade so quickly. I even asked them to be in writing that it wouldn’t affect the safety of the car. Which CS kept stating verbally but would commit to writing.

In the end my local dealers workshop manager got involved. He’s been great and has agreed to change both sides for £120 total. At least by paying something I get 12 months warranty on the work.

There must be something going on. I had mine done. It was covered by warranty. I have a all components cover

That was the point I was making to the dealer. Either you would make it so it lasted more than 18,000 miles or that it would be easily replaced. If not you would be stripping the car every year for some people.

Just to close out my post, had the mounts replaced. Audi CS were beyond useless, but I can’t thank my local dealers enough! They have been amazing and heavily discounted labour & parts. Cost me less than £100 in the end.

Reactions: Wagondriver and gimk