S4 B6 Stage 2 Remap with Crackles & Pops and Milltek Non-Resonated Cat Back Exhaust

Les.Tansey

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I'm Les, I drive a manual Goodwood Green S4 B6 Avant, I've had it almost 3 years now and absolutely love the thing!

I'm looking for some advice on Remaps mainly, but I'd be really happy if I could get all of the work in the title done under one roof at a resonable price but most importantly by some genuine conscientious proffesionals rather than some teararse yobbos who are likely to rag my car about and not take care with it. Ideally, this would all be somewhere locally-ish to Manchester (already its starting to sound like too much to ask, but let's see... )

Anyway, I'm planning to upgrade the standard exhaust to a Milltek non-res cat back system with the GT100 tail pipes. I figured this would be the best time to get it remapped to get the most power and fun out of the car, whilst keeping within what is safe for the car - It's my pride and joy so I don't want to run the risk of anything breaking as a result, especially as it's my daily driver too.

Could anyone recommend the best place to have this work done? Even if its only a recommendation for where to have the remap done? I don't mind travelling somewhere outside of Manchester within reason, but I want somewhere reputable who will take good care of my car whilst it has the work done.

Thanks for your replies in advance, and I also apologise if this question has been asked before (I'm sure it may well have).

Cheers,
Les Tansey

Hi there, i bought my miltek cat back through longlife at stockport. I had used many years back on a v6 shogun(they built that one). They priced matched for £850, cat back no res, gt100 tips. Paid £350 down as deposit over phone. Took maybe 3 weeks to come in as they said " done very well for a custom order". They had to build it in parts, some they might not have in stock so make, hence 3 weeks. I originally wanted custom, but prices all over, some £1100+. They admitted they could not compete or come close under £1k. I actually thought over priced, but when i saw the huge box of shiny stainless steel, all parts wrapped up, it hit home and thought its actually good value. Anyway, there is a sub way around the conrer at the garage , handy for the little over an hour fitted.

Original system, on its last legs with cracks in welds, centre bracket loose
VdUSt1vl.jpg

Naked
jgR7XXll.jpg

On
cpljyW6l.jpg

gt100
O8D8PWYl.jpg

HVPyZSwl.jpg

Sounds great, i was a little worried with some saying too loud, its not, or for me anyway. You can drive around 2k revs and you can hear it. But over 3-4k and it comes alive. 5k+ and growls like a beast!

Short not very good vid for a very rough idea(much louder in real life)

Sounds much better also when under load.

So allow 1.5hrs, get a subway, they did a great job and was a little OCD with making the GT tails centre.

Mine is not mapped yet, awesome GTI in Irlam can do it(along with miltek to, just i got frustrated with endless questions over emails when i told them what i wanted, hence just going longlife).

Loving it, no regrets but do know if i had gone for resinated, i would have ended up swapping for none!. If spending that amount of money, i want to hear it! Does not disappoint. I have also fitted a K and N panel, wiped down of excess oils , of which there was not much to start with. Map is £395 at awesome for 15-20hp, i just cant see value as its ample quick enough, nice and smooth, plus nothing ever goes perfect with maps. Potential CELs etc , i want reliability more than anything. Down pipes/sport cats may add 15-20 if lucky, but then your adding another £1k easy to the already £850.

I would go cat back none res 1st, drive for a while(sounds better with time as it gets a little carbon build up). Then decide down the line, thats just me though.

Cheers

Oh too add Les, your more than welcome to hear/drive mine(socially distanced and all that!) Just message me, we can sort what ever you want/ need out no probs, can give mob if prefer to chat over phone. Just let me know and can take from there:icon thumright:

Hi Ven,

Really sorry. Only just saw that you had replied to this thread (I didn't see any emails so assumed no one had replied - my apologies). Thanks for all the detail, very thorough, and much appreciated.

Just as an update, I managed to grab my Milltek Sport non resonated cat back exhaust from Roadrunner Motorsport for £750.00 as part of a Black Friday promotion (very good timing). Had it fitted about a fortnight now. Does sound great, although I reckon I hyped myself up for it being a bit louder and raspier. So I think Im going to go for Custom Sports/Race Cats and a map with very light crackles and pops on overrun. The question is do I go for a 100 cell or 200 cell cat. 100 cell is my preference to get maximum flow, sound and longevity (in conjunction with the overrun map), although I want to keep the car road legal.

Any thoughts and advice will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers, Les

Reactions: ven
When I read up a while back, most recommendations were to go resonated. I honestly can’t see the point in the expense for a more subtle noise. As with you, the none resonated is no where near what I expected it to be. I know I would not have been happy with resonated, that’s for sure . Now a while on living with the none res miltek daily, it’s fine. There are times low revs with a gentle press on gas peddle it sounds beefy and loud in the cabin. I think it’s a good balance myself, loud enough to know where your money has been spent, not too loud to live with. I’m on the motorway everyday , usually cruising about 65 ish. Can hardly hear it, but foot down and pass 4K, it has a nice growl. Had quite a few comments at work from people saying how good it sounds. I will add the cabin seems well insulated from noise, so no doubt it’s much louder than it seems!

I’m not a crackles and pop guy to be honest and not even sure it can be done on the n/a v8. I actually find it annoying and cheap when I hear it. It’s usually an ST or RS and I think ruins it, makes it too boy racer(admittedly those are aimed at the said). I will admit though, the Alfa stelvio when dialled to sport, made me giggle like a kid. That in part was down to the flames as well! Not sure if I could live with it day to day popping and banging .

Not too sure cat wise, I am led to believe removing the pre cat is enough and a map. I can’t see me bothering going any further for several reasons. Cost V performance factor is very poor, you are looking at a good chunk of cash for 20-30hp if lucky.
Mine is an auto/tip so my only option is sport cat down pipes of miltek . These on sale are £1100. Been quoted around £600 for a map(MRC) but I’m not going to travel that far. If I do, it will either be awesome or unicorn. But £1500 minimum is a lot for 20hp. I know more to it and apparently makes it more drivable . But I find it spot on anyway, max torque at 3k and never really feel the need for more speed . So for me I will just see down the line, if I get bored etc or feel like flittering a couple of grand lol. My concern is reliability though and possible CEL lights popping up.
I would speak to awesome GTI or even pay them a visit. They would have done several and can advise better. I have read that the miltek sport cats can be troublesome . But what you read and what effects you ,can be completely different .

Be interested in what you decide and your impressions when done. Who knows, you might twist my arm :whistle2: