S4 B7 V8 Quattro

Topplumb1

Reaction score
Not visited this forum for a while, but Saturday I'm off to have a look at a black S4 V8 2006, at the moment I have a 1.8tqs 1999 for the last 10 years and have been a regular on the B5 forum, but decided I would upgrade, always wanted an S4 V8 Quattro and now the time has come, it's immaculate with cream leather interior, it's auto with paddle shift, looking forward to the test drive

I've recently purchased a 2006 S4 auto avant and am loving it, Not so much the fuel consumption or looming terror of cam chain issues but the way it goes and sounds is worth every trip to the petrol station. Hope all goes well with the viewing.

Not visited this forum for a while, but Saturday I'm off to have a look at a black S4 V8 2006, at the moment I have a 1.8tqs 1999 for the last 10 years and have been a regular on the B5 forum, but decided I would upgrade, always wanted an S4 V8 Quattro and now the time has come, it's immaculate with cream leather interior, it's auto with paddle shift, looking forward to the test drive

I bought my S4 a couple month back, soon as I started the engine I was ready to sign the paperwork lol enjoy mate hope its decent

So last Saturday having viewed the S4 V8 and test drove it, fell immediately in love with it, so smooth and drives like a dream, looks superb in phantom black pearlescent, this Saturday I pick it up, the V8 sounds wonderful, looking forward to getting it back home and plugging in the vcds to check it over, it's just been serviced at the end of September by Audi.

So last Saturday having viewed the S4 V8 and test drove it, fell immediately in love with it, so smooth and drives like a dream, looks superb in phantom black pearlescent, this Saturday I pick it up, the V8 sounds wonderful, looking forward to getting it back home and plugging in the vcds to check it over, it's just been serviced at the end of September by Audi.

Nice one mate, i told you you would lol, the sound alone is enough!

I decided to put a new battery into the transponder key fob and now it won't open the doors and goes into safe mode on the dash board when you try and start the car, so now I only have one key, followed the instructions in the hand book and various videos on youtube but still have the same problem - anyone know how to re-programme the correct way step by step ?

Update :
I have now taken battery out and refitted back in again, car now no longer in safe mode and starts the engine, but now will not lock or unlock the doors or boot - any ideas ?

Update :
I have now taken battery out and refitted back in again, car now no longer in safe mode and starts the engine, but now will not lock or unlock the doors or boot - any ideas ?

Very strange, what reason did you change the battery in the first place? Could be a faulty transmitter in the fob? Im not entirely sure never heard of such problem

Put the key in the ignition and turn to position 2 then press the lock and unlock buttons on the fob, this will re sync it with the car assuming no other issues. Not sure what caused the safe message issue though, did you just pop off the back to change the battery?

On another note I bought a cheap replacement case for my daily key to freshen it up but it goes out of sync quite regularly now sometimes going a week without trouble and sometimes needing syncing twice in one day, very frustrating and a good reason not to buy the cheap crap but my keys take a battering so didn't see the point in buying an expensive case.

I had a spare new original key fob complete which is brand new so swapped everything from the worn original for the car into the new case, but now I have put it all back as it was, so it now starts the vehicle is no longer in safe mode but will not lock or unlock the doors.

Aaaaahhhh I see now, you didn't swap the immobiliser transponder chip over. When you took out the circuit board there is a little white cover underneath it which houses the chip, this needs to be gently pried off as they're usually glued in place and underneath is the chip which is a little glass cylinder. Be very careful not to damage this. Swap this over and the key will start the car.

You will still need to 're sync the key as described earlier any time the key battery is disturbed to get the locking working again.

I swapped the original back part of the fob over complete with the transponder undisturbed with the key onto the new front with new buttons car starts and runs no safe mode showing, still does not lock or unlock doors, tried several times to re-sync but still not working, I must be doing something in the wrong order.

Is the led on the key flashing when you press a button? wouldn't be the first time I've had a duff "new" battery.

The method I use to re sync is key in ignition on position 2 ( ignition lights on) then press and hold for a second the lock button then release and press and hold the unlock button then release, Then I do the same the other way round as I'm not sure if you need a certain order and if you do which way round it is. If you just blip the buttons it doesn't tend to work.

Ok thanks - hope to give that a go as soon as I get the chance.

So key is still not unlocking or locking doors whichever way I try and re programme, but does start the car and the engine runs and no safe mode, I've now been trawling through you tube and found key adaptation through vcds, since I have the latest full version of vcds maybe this is something I'm going to have to do, anyone else had to do this when they have had this problem ?

I have had the problem in the past but only when the maximum number of keys had been reached but this was solved by removing all keys with vcds and re adapting the current keys. Cant think why this would happen with a key that is already working with the car prior to battery change though. If you follow the instructions on ross tech about adapting key remotes it says it will ask how many keys you want to adapt but when you input a number on the B7 it actually refers to the position number you want the key you're adapting to go in so you're best doing all your keys one by one and just starting at position one then two etc. This was very frustrating for me until I found that out as I could only get one key working at a time.

So got onto the Ross-Tech website today and found a step by step guide to re-synchronising remote key fobs, I followed this exactly as in the video and it worked straight away, so now I have two working keys once again, thanks guys to all involved in solving the problem :thumbs up: