S4 B8.5 Full Service Question

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning Folks,

Happy New Year to you all and hope you'll had a nice break! And I am sure you've already planned what we will be doing next Christmas :)

I have tried the search function on the forum as well as my trusted friend Google but couldn't find the answer.

I have my car booked in for full service and Audi "advised" Oil and Fuel system cleaning @£47.99. They said it is "decontamination of oil and fuel lines", which I believe is like putting a fuel cleaner? Shall I go through them or put in a bottle myself.

Would appreciate any help and guidance.

Tash

Reactions: yusuf7869
Morning Folks,

Happy New Year to you all and hope you'll had a nice break! And I am sure you've already planned what we will be doing next Christmas :)

I have tried the search function on the forum as well as my trusted friend Google but couldn't find the answer.

I have my car booked in for full service and Audi "advised" Oil and Fuel system cleaning @£47.99. They said it is "decontamination of oil and fuel lines", which I believe is like putting a fuel cleaner? Shall I go through them or put in a bottle myself.

Would appreciate any help and guidance.

Tash

I would too like to know what this extra fuel cleaning is. I was under the impression that fuel additives like redex doesnt really work for tfsi engines.

Wouldnt using fuels like vpower do the same job?

Is Audi's full service cost quite expensive? is that oil and fuel system cleaner extra?

I would too like to know what this extra fuel cleaning is. I was under the impression that fuel additives like redex doesnt really work for tfsi engines.

Hence the reason I asked the question as my understanding is that the regular additives won't work but I am not 100% sure tbh.

Wouldnt using fuels like vpower do the same job?

I would like to think but I believe there is more to it than just the fuel.

Is Audi's full service cost quite expensive? is that oil and fuel system cleaner extra?

I got two services on my car from Audi so not sure exactly how much a full service will cost. I will ask for the costs and I am sure others like @jdp1962 would be able to comment.

Oil and fuel cleaner is extra, yes!

I got two services on my car from Audi so not sure exactly how much a full service will cost. I will ask for the costs and I am sure others like @jdp1962 would be able to comment.

Oil and fuel cleaner is extra, yes!

I was quoted £473 for a first full service at two years by my local Audi dealer. I didn't pay that because they then agreed to price match my local indie for the same work. That didn't include an "advised" oil and petrol clean through, and it had, I'd have declined it. It sounds like a money-for-nothing rip-off. If you want to keep your engine internals clean, run the car on Shell V-Power and change the oil at maximum yearly intervals; job done. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiden and V6_Man
I was quoted £473 for a first full service at two years by my local Audi dealer. I didn't pay that because they then agreed to price match my local indie for the same work. That didn't include an "advised" oil and petrol clean through, and it had, I'd have declined it. It sounds like a money-for-nothing rip-off. If you want to keep your engine internals clean, run the car on Shell V-Power and change the oil at maximum yearly intervals; job done. :)

Thanks Jeff. My last oil change / interim service was last year (Jan 17) and 5K miles ago so, the full service has come just at the right time. I did ask Audi no to the oil/fuel cleaning but thought I'll ask for expert's view on this too. As the car is remapped, I only use Shell VPower :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jdp1962
I'd be worried about any oil cleaning substance as you don't want issues with oil leaks down the line because of failed gaskets. I'd give it a miss given you're changing oil pretty frequently anyway.

Reactions: V6_Man
Thanks Jeff. My last oil change / interim service was last year (Jan 17) and 5K miles ago so, the full service has come just at the right time. I did ask Audi no to the oil/fuel cleaning but thought I'll ask for expert's view on this too. As the car is remapped, I only use Shell VPower :)
I figured you were already doing what I'd suggested. :)

Manufacturers like BMW and Toyota have started to provide carbon cleaning additives for their direct injection petrol engines which are fuel additives and sell for around £20. I cannot imagine what the "engine oil cleaner" is? Modern oils contain detergents to clean and suspend dirt. In the past some manufacturers like Nissan have run a "flushing cleaner" through the oil before conducting an oil change but in recent years manufacturers have tended to advise against this.

I can only assume (for the relatively low price quoted) that these are some form of additives. Something like those marketed by Forte to the trade.

The oil cleaning that most of these manufacturer's dealers workshops use will just be Forte treatments which need to be extremely aggressive to be able to do their job within the short time frame allowed by the workshop labour costs per hour. In the past, after a car is maybe 6 years old with 50K miles, I've tended to add in a less aggressive oil cleaner 100 miles before carrying out the annual oil change, doing that, as far as I know, never caused any other issues, but how well it cleaned up the oil ways and sump floor, I can't say. If doing that keeps you happy or makes you feel better, than I'd say just do it yourself maybe by using a less aggressive oil system cleaner like Comma sell, and leave it in for about 100 miles.

I'm guessing that the products that BMW and Toyota use to clean their engines up are only being advised for use with their DI engines that also have a manifold injector.

@Tashfeen - if you have been using good oil and changing it regularly then a car that age is not likely to have any oil contaminants, although you could have the old oil tested - but that's not cheap. I would like to say that as long as you have used a branded fuel then likewise no risk of contamination either - but we do hear of cases of bad fuel :(. I think you are right - for £47.99 at Audi dealer rates that is going to be no more than squirting some fluid into the fuel tank and maybe oil filler. I wouldn't go for it myself, but then I wouldn't be using a dealer. Mark at MDM Technik has never suggested an oil and fuel decontamination, even for my old B5.

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
@Tashfeen - if you have been using good oil and changing it regularly then a car that age is not likely to have any oil contaminants, although you could have the old oil tested - but that's not cheap. I would like to say that as long as you have used a branded fuel then likewise no risk of contamination either - but we do hear of cases of bad fuel :(. I think you are right - for £47.99 at Audi dealer rates that is going to be no more than squirting some fluid into the fuel tank and maybe oil filler. I wouldn't go for it myself, but then I wouldn't be using a dealer. Mark at MDM Technik has never suggested an oil and fuel decontamination, even for my old B5.

Thanks @Dippy - its reassuring to know that I haven't made a wrong decision to say no to Audi.

I wanted to either go to Mark or MRC for full-service but the fact that I had a free service off Audi I thought I'll use it. I am a bit hesitant using Oxford Audi to do anything on the car but given how busy it is at work and kids football on the weekends I can't drive up to a different dealership for next 2-3 weekends. The service reminder tells me service is due in next 8 days or 2000 miles so, would like to get it done asap.

s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Audi-OE.../201841775872?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1 is the fuel system cleaner

I wouldn't bother personally.I'm sure other products could be found to do the job if you really want to.

Guys. I read this forum regularly and up until now none of you has raised the subject of fuel additives. Then a dealer offers it to @Tashfeen and some are now considering it? The only additive worth using is octane booster :)

Reactions: xpoweruk, V6_Man and jdp1962
So, the car is in for Service as I write. I categorically mentioned:

1- No additives/preservatives/decontamination - whatever Audi calls it
2- No washing (there is a horror story that a colleague at work mentioned whose B9 A4 was serviced by Oxford Audi a day before Christmas - details of what Audi Oxford did to his car and 4 others to follow)
3- No updates of any sorts

I did get an email link with AudiCam showing the "progress" along with a "recommendation" that they were "unable to change air filter due to the car having a performance filter fitted". Audi advised this be carried out. I called them straight away and asked them not to change it.

I am slightly surprised. At the last service (Jan 17) I was told that brake pads were @40% and would need replacing in March 17. 9 months on and the pads are still worn @40% or what the video tells me. I know I drive like a Miss. Daisy but it is embarrassing :(

The wear on the tyres is not that bad. Rears are @6.51 and fronts @5.71 and they were changed almost a year ago.

Fingers crossed, lets hope they don't screw up anything and that I get the car back in the condition that I gave them in.

Reactions: xpoweruk
An additive like that will do nothing for the inlet manifold or inlet valves when the engine is direct injection, how stupid do they think people are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An additive like that will do nothing for the inlet manifold or inlet valves when the engine is direct injection, how stupid do they think people are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember both these VW Group products only seem to be getting marketed in North America, so maybe that explains why VW Group manage to sell it, if it says it is good, it must be good!

Probably intended for use in manifold injection petrol engines though.