S4 B8 Manual Gearbox Nightmare

S4Horsham

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the manual box selecting 2nd-3rd and 3-4th at high rev's? I'm on my second gearbox and I still feel its the same. when applying high speeds it doesn't like going into these gears and ends up over revving. When Audi replaced the box they said the gear linkage was out of line but it has now been corrected. I thought it might be my numpty driving but someone else has driven it and agrees it not right. I must say that Audi's customer service has been 1st class whilst looking into these issue's.

No issues at all with mine....love it to pieces....much better than these flappy-paddle computer game gear changes where every one is perfect :).

No problems here either (touch wood), good luck with getting it sorted.

No problems here, been ok from day one.

Id seriously suggest a change of gearbox oil.I have a lowly 2.0tdi, but from day one i was suffering being able to get into gears.A change to a diff viscocity did the trick

Interesting. I recentry had a test drive in an Avant and I thought that it was reluctant to go into gear compared to the S3. I Mentioned it to the salesman and he made the point (and probably a valid one) that it was fairly new with only 7k on the clock and that it would loosen up in time. Maybe this is the same with your car?

I would have sugested that they made them work from new that would be a much better idea. This can only be be causeing wear to the syncro hubs, Are you sure its not clutch drag making the syncro work extra hard?

Strange that.I was told that my mpg would improve after about 10000 miles.NOT.They dont loosen up with wear.Its a **** design done on the cheap....the gear stick assembly uses a plastic ball/socket.Just look at the differance between a standard shift and a shortshifter.Solid metal.

interesting point regarding clutch i wonder if they put a new one in with the new gear box, off to audi to ask.....thanks for other comments

New S4 manual and having troubles getting a smooth change between first and second - at slow revs it changes smoothly but at anything near to 2K there is always a thump when putting the clutch down just before changing into second. . drives me nuts !