S4 B8 Standard Exhaust Life?

Reaction score
Anyone ever "had" to change the standard exhaust due to wear and tear?
Just wondered what the average lifespan was...

Not an exact answer to your question, but my old Passat 4Motion 2.8V6, sold last year, is over 14 years old and over 100K miles with only ever having the clamps rusting through on the jointing sleeves. Also, wife's Polo 1.4 SE is coming up for 12 year old and over 102K miles and still has original exhaust. Exhausts do seem to last quite a long time these days!

Edit:- my 2011 S4 exhaust, well from cat back, is SS, ie Milltek, so I should not have any problems with that.

I was trying to see if I could justify an exhaust swap to the mrs by using "end of life" as an excuse... Hehe

Surely someone will come in now and give you a "better" answer than I have - then job done! My wife would never look at this forum, well I don't think she would.

Surely someone will come in now and give you a "better" answer than I have - then job done! My wife would never look at this forum, well I don't think she would.
Hehe I would be in serious trouble if she read all the forums I am a member of ! :)

Hi, there's an approved Audi test that the technicians are instructed to do during a service:
Drive the car normally for at least 10 minutes then, using ADS (if fitted) select Dynamic - otherwise select 'S' on the gear selector. Manual cars build up speed and use 3rd. Apply maximum throttle until the S Tronic box changes up automatically (or until the revs are nearing the redline in a manual, then change up a gear). Under these conditions, if you hear a simulated throttle 'blip' during the gear change, your exhaust is considered defective with approximately 3-4000miles of useful life left. Audi recommends that you replace the exhaust with a Milltek or similar as soon as possible.

;);););)

Reactions: razza1
I'll print this out and put in my service book... She will be none the wiser ;)

Reactions: DrSasso and benjie
However the father in law is a mechanic and would know what I'm up to when I get him to fix the new exhaust.... Suppose I could offer to take him away going as a sweetner..

I'm a fool, after my useful posting, I thought that benjie had accidentally done a bit of cross-posting - I'll get my coat!

Reactions: benjie
I have been going on about changing the tips so just maybe

Reactions: benjie
Lol mate , just changed my S4 standard exhaust to a milltek today . The original is basically in minted condition apart from some dis-colouring on the chrome tailpipes. I have 60k on clock .Went for the non-resonated Milltek and the sound is awesome but not to boy racerish ;-)

I've managed to acquire a Stasis touring one so will give that a try when I get round to it..

Reactions: DavieK
Ever since I bought it I've been crapping myself that it's going to sound like a b-boy.
But in assured it doesn't and also doesn't drone like the earlier versions!!!

Fitted on Wednesday..

gysu6yru.jpg

So it's on...
Mrs said it looks not quite chavvy but puts me in a different class. She wants me to remove it!!

Sounds good though.
Quiet when crushing and raspy when giving it some

Look and sound... I wanted to just change the tips on standard...Are they welded on?
When I look at mine from the back it looks worse than a 2.0 tdi!! They have nice shiny twin pipes