S4 checking brake run-out

Spearo

Reaction score
So having had some brake dramas recently I’ve had brakes on and off the car several times and potentially I’ve not reseated one of the disks 100% square and on braking I’m getting a bit of a pulsating sensation through pedal and a bit through steering! I’m hoping it’s a disk not seated perfectly but it might turn out to be a wishbone bush or something that coincidentally has gone bad at the same time …. Anyway first I need to check brakes - my question is …. How can I turn wheels on a Quattro system with the car on stands to check run out with a gauge ? Is it possible???

I don’t know anything about S4 brakes, but you mention they have been on and off. If you’ve done it yourself, then you’ll the history. In most cases brake vibration is usually down to a sticky caliper piston or sub-standard pattern parts. With disc or rotor off was the hub assembly spotlessly clean? A rotary wire brush and brake cleaner can prepare the disc. There usually a disc grub screw for good measure.

I’d be temped to take the car for a drive for a few miles and literally coast to a stop without using the brakes. Touch the rotors. Now be warned, you’ll feel heat before you touch them. If they are hot, there’s your issue. Brake dismantle, normally dust boot corrosion stopping the caliper piston retracting. Seized brake sliders a possibility too.