S4 engine 3.0 supercharged - P0235 MAP error

Reaction score
Sorry for double-posting this (on S4+S5 forums), but I've got an A6 snotwagon with the S4/S5 engine and drivetrain (3.0T supercharged), so there's a LOT more chance of getting a hit on this questions in an S4/S5 forum - forget about the VERY small numbers of that engine in an A6... also far more S4/S5 enthusiasts than A6's!

Does anybody know the most likely causes + fix for this P0235 error. I just got a check engine light, scanned error codes with an ODB2 dongle (Torque Pro) and got this code.

Is it likely that the car needs a new MAP sensor or possibly just a case of unscrewing it and giving it a blast with some carb clearer?

Car is 9yrs old now, but only has 24k miles and has had regular Audi services every 1500-4000 miles (roughly every 12 months), the last one being a month ago - it is entirely stock, other than a Quantum remap that was done about 6 yrs ago and then re-applied about 12 months ago when Audi wiped it with an ECU flash.

Last edited:
okay - I know, I'm necro-threading, but it is relevant: it is the same issue, but now rather than happening once a month, it happens every time I rev over about 5000rpm... does anybody know what sensors are in the intake manifold that might have failed?

Many thanks - just had a quick look and that looks like what I've been getting.... my "top-down" guesswork based on that error after that I was just guessing a dirty/damaged sensors in the TB/intake manifold, so good to hear I'm on the right track!

Just purchased some "Wynns WY29881 Petrol EGR Cleaner" - it says for cleaning the "air intake system, air flow sensors, inlet valves and EGR system" - so pretty much rebadged TB cleaner, but maybe less likely to have anything that would corrode sensors :)

I'll have a go on the weekend :s

Last edited:
Hmm... any how-to guides?
I'm the definition of "all the gear, no idea".... I've got the tools and although I did lots of mech eng at uni, so I'm not mechanically clueless, but that only means I know the theory.... I then work out the rest as I go :s

Hmm... any how-to guides?
I'm the definition of "all the gear, no idea".... I've got the tools and although I did lots of mech eng at uni, so I'm not mechanically clueless, but that only means I know the theory.... I then work out the rest as I go :s

Is it to get to the MAP sensors? I think on the DI only engine it's quite straight forward for the pressure sensors on each side of the supercharger and you just have to remove the long black cover each side to gain access (I'm sure there's a YouTube video on it). Not so easy for the CREC engine with MPI as the injectors are in the way. The pressure sensor at the rear a little more tricky to access.

This might help if it's the correct year etc. for your A6. Item 16 (x2) and Item 17: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a6+s6+avant+quattro/a6q/2013-717/1/145-145020/

If it's something else you are talking about, please ignore me! lol

Reactions: V6_Man and BahnStormer77
Is it to get to the MAP sensors? I think on the DI only engine it's quite straight forward for the pressure sensors on each side of the supercharger and you just have to remove the long black cover each side to gain access (I'm sure there's a YouTube video on it). Not so easy for the CREC engine with MPI as the injectors are in the way. The pressure sensor at the rear a little more tricky to access.

This might help if it's the correct year etc. for your A6. Item 16 (x2) and Item 17: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a6+s6+avant+quattro/a6q/2013-717/1/145-145020/

If it's something else you are talking about, please ignore me! lol
I think the ones I'm after are also in that video, but he has actually already taken them out: "intake pressure sensor".... look easy to get to, so I might try to take them out and give them a spray first - MAP looks like a bit more hassle, but also just a couple of bolts/torq screws.... TBC on the A6, but hopefully a bit more space in the larger engine bay :)

Last edited:
HMMM..... intake pressure sensors done.... I'm still getting the limp mode with each high rev pull, I'll need to find a time when the engine is a LOT cooler to try the MAP sensor since it is right down the back of the engine ("under the vacuum box" as per the video) :(

Good news. Unfortunately, I wish it were so easy with the crec engine.

looks like the issue came back, very intermittently at first, but more consistently now :(

I think I'll might try replacing those sensors entirely now.... if anybody has the part numbers?

You should be able to find it easy enough here: https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/audi/RDW
Nice site - it's like a modern version of VAGCAT! That said, it looks like a bit of a ball-ache to find the actual physical part in there - not their fault, there's a lot of parts on a lot of different cars and the supercharged V6 is pretty rare - especially in the UK (more common on the S4 / S5 / A7).
At least I can look at the part on the car and I'll search for the reference and check+order through LLLparts if the prices look competitive.

Nice site - it's like a modern version of VAGCAT! That said, it looks like a bit of a ball-ache to find the actual physical part in there - not their fault, there's a lot of parts on a lot of different cars and the supercharged V6 is pretty rare - especially in the UK (more common on the S4 / S5 / A7).
At least I can look at the part on the car and I'll search for the reference and check+order through LLLparts if the prices look competitive.

Aye at first I found it a bit overwhelming, but I now just use CTRL+F and search for my engine code or other identifying criteria and it picks out the right diagrams pretty well.

eg.

Alternatively, you can whack your VIN in here: https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs

LLL Parts prices do seem good, but I've heard delivery can be quite lengthy. From the looks of it I think it is just a middle-man type site and possibly just run from a small shop or room in a house and they will source and arrange delivery. I don't think they hold stock.

Reactions: BahnStormer77
The part is VW AG 038 906 051 J (BOSCH 0261230215)

2023 05 07 13 49 14 WhatsApp

I'm going to replace the two at the top and hope I can get away without having to try for the one at the back, behind the engine.... unless anybody has tried this before and found that was THE one that wore out first?

FYI - Prices were pretty different: £60 on LLLparts, £40-£45 elsewhere for the same part number sticking to OEM.... and into the low 30's (e.g. FEBI Bilstein) / high 20's (NGK)... and even lower for lesser known brands.... Bosch works for me @ £90 for two, incl delivery :)

Reactions: V6_Man
FYI - Prices were pretty different: £60 on LLLparts, £40-£45 elsewhere for the same part number sticking to OEM.... and into the low 30's (e.g. FEBI Bilstein) / high 20's (NGK)... and even lower for lesser known brands.... Bosch works for me @ £90 for two, incl delivery :)
You solve this dtc’s i have the same problem.