S4 exhaust round up and reviews

Fctaff

Reaction score
I had the infinity exhaust but it was just a little to loud for my toddler, it settled in nice and if I were not doing school runs with a whiny toddler it would have been fine.

The infinity
The quality was excellent, the tone was strong and deep, sounded great on overrun and on hard throttle. There was a slight drone at around 2.5k under load, as wales is all vallys, it's under load 50% of its life. The drone was not excessive but in a 4year olds world it interrupted the frozen watching on DVD it's the end of the world.
I returned to infinity and they did not think they could get it to a level that would not drown out frozen a little. So we returned it to stock, frozen was once again returned to perfect clarity, o the joy !

Round up..... Beefy sound, great build quality and fit, slight drone at 2.5k 8/10

I was talking to a guy who had bought an S4 exhaust from eBay, he fitted it and removed it. I phoned him and asked if he had returned it yet, he said he had not so a plan was hatched. I was going to try and review a few a few exhausts and post the results here.

I popped to his house and picked it up, drove straight to a friends garage and had it fitted.

The EBay Specail
This is a no name eBay special, straight out the gate it looks cheap and somewhat flimsy. Does not look worth its £400 price tag, fitting is a nightmare, nothing fits well, it has to be muscled on.
As soon as its started its bad, sounds like it's touching the underside rattling, buzzing and knocking. I drove it up the road and o dear, it sounded bad, like every 17year olds nova with flick on bits. Did not sound beefy like the infinity, just sounded broken !
I was in for the long run and thought I would run it for a week or until the owner had to return it. Took the wife out in it and she was mortified, the car really did sound like a shed. People stopped and turned and looked to see what was making this racket. Needless to say it was removed first thing this morning, on the drive home I had the song "silence is golden" stuck in my head lol

Round up..... sounds broken, terrible cheap nasty poorly fitting Rubbish, knocks rattles 0/10

Now the guy that bought the eBay jobbie has now bought a milltek, this arrives tomorrow and I have blagged it as he is working away from wednessday. So I should have it for a week to see what I think, I just have to pay to have it fitted to his car later.

Milltek
Watch this space.

I pick my S4 up on Monday, and I'm booked in at infinity 2 weeks on Tuesday

I'm coming out of a B8 with a non resonated Miltek so I don't think I'll have any issues regarding it being too loud.

Do you have any videos of your infinity exhaust?

What did you ask for noise wise and how much 'tuning' of the noise levels can they achieve?

Ryan

I kinda like the OEM exhaust now after the tune etc. Don't see myself changing this one yet. Just looking forward getting back to my S4 on Friday. Hired a Nissan Tiida here. Thank god we were on a walking holiday. Terrible car.

I have a clip but no idea how to get it on here lol

Infinity have one, ask them to upload it in there YouTube. Mine was quite/medium.

Milltek is on, I have done about 100miles on it so far.

Day one thoughts
Quality was great, fitment was straightforward, went on like a dream. My guy in the garage claims he is getting a bit good at taking them on and off now.

On to the road test, sounds deep and powerful on tickover with a satisfying burble. It's quite a loud system if I'm honest but it does suffer with some drone, not too intrusive but there none the less. Sounds very nice on song, the up shift farts sound great as does the down shift blip. Overrun sounds is amazing, sounds like there should be flames or lightning !

Wife and child test this afternoon, my car has to live in two worlds. It can be a brash when I'm alone but has to do the school run without terrifying small children or getting disapproving looks from other parents.

I will give a full round up on removal so more then lightly be on 31/10/15

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Watching this as I still can't decide which system to go for.

Is the Milltek non-res or resonated?

Well wait a few more weeks, I may have more to test. Can not say anything just yet !

Wife and child tested today, another 130 miles on it. Settled down a bit but still quite loud, asked my little one is it passing the frozen test.. No lol

Wife said it was loud and picked up on the drone, she is driving it at the mo so will no doubt hear more on her return.

Last edited:
Milltel ValveSonic for ya collection :)

Valves open @ 22 seconds,then opened & closed a couple of times

Reactions: Fctaff
Scorpion are advertising a drone free solution. They have been in the game a while and even made items for OE manufacturer, so they know their bacon.

The APR exhaust is very good, no drone, not loud, in fact you'd be hard pushed to tell there is a performance exhaust on there during day to day use.

The APR exhaust is very good, no drone, not loud, in fact you'd be hard pushed to tell there is a performance exhaust on there during day to day use.
Should be gold plated for the cost of the APR!

Mid test thoughts
I have put about 400 miles on the milltek now, does not seemed to have settled much as I would have expected and is still louder then I would like it to be. There is a drone/resonance that really is the killer on fast flow exhausts on auto S4's. Anyway the milltek comes off Saturday so I will give a full round up then.

There is a rear box option that apartly is drone free, no gain information available though.

I would hold off for a few weeks for the testing to finish, you will be selling yourself short if we test a drone free system with good HP gains

Heres the BCS Powervalve rear silencer set...

Reactions: xpoweruk
Milltek is off

Did a lot of miles on it, did get a little quieter but not as much as I would have liked. Did suffer with the dreaded drone, at this price I would not have expected that. It did look and sound nice but not for me and not at this price.

Round up .... Beefy sound, great build quality and fit, drone at 2300rpm, expensive 7/10

Reactions: Keef
Im looking to see what I can find, beg borrow or steal lol

I try and keep them coming.

I have a full Milltek on mine with non res custom centre section and resonated downpipes and I think it sounds great on full throttle. Very little drone off it aswell. Wanting to go for an AWE Touring system just to try it along with the intake as I have a dealership with AWE so be rude not to.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Here's Geoffs Comparison before and after the Powervalve Exhaust Silencers...

Here's Geoffs Comparison before and after the Powervalve Exhaust Silencers...

Nige , have you done a powervalve system for the 2.0 TFSI quattro avant yet?

Thanks Ian

Great thread, worth checking out the capristo clip on you tube that is the sort of sound I am after, anyone know more about it?

I have a full Scorpion system with the revised drone-free back boxes. Was originally fitted with the full noise system which was terrible! This system has zero drone, but I can't help thinking it may be a bit restrictive with the three way pass back box. Sound levels are just a bit higher than std, but the hotter the exhaust gets (after a good blast) the tone becomes deeper.
I also thought the tail pipes were too big, and went to Pipewerx to get custom ones fabricated.

Edit: Scorpion claim a +20 BHP gain with their system fitted.

The no drone scorpion system does give about 20bhp on a stock car