s4 front brake upgrade advice

biscuittin

Reaction score
hi I have just bought an s4 ( will get some pics up soon )
I can imagine this is a frequent asked question , im going to a few track days with the car and want to upgrade the front brakes
I have found some brand new front calipers from an rs3 ( 8 pot brakes ) I was wondering what I will need to fit these to my s4 and what disc should I use ???
cheers for the help

You will need rs5 disc's and brake lines.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

gary cant seam to open the link ? you got another one cheers

Read recently in Audi Tuner magazine that someone had fitted upgraded discs/calipers etc and still ended up with warped discs! I spoke to the guys at Quattro-Tech who know there stuff and they recommended EBC discs and redstuff pads. Just got some myself and will see how they turn out.

Reactions: biscuittin
Pmsl @ Gary thought it was something I was doing wrong

Cheers ianv5 I normally run carbon Lorain pads , love them

Read that post Gary , it seams to concentrate on fitting of the Porsche brakes , but there is a bit about fitting brakes ducts in there

I'll keep you all posted on what I end up fitting

Putting bigger calipers and discs in will help but there is no air flow into the wheel wells, unlike the RS5 which has at least some NACA ducts to help some air into the wheel wells. I wouldn't bother with Red stuff pads at a track, I find them great for the road and a lap or two at a track but any more than that they don't like it.
Something like these would be a very good set up.
http://www.vagbremtechnic.com/front...-calipers-with-390x34mm-2-piece-discs-bk0006/
And in between you have various options from RS4,5 , Porsche etc.

Putting bigger calipers and discs in will help but there is no air flow into the wheel wells, unlike the RS5 which has at least some NACA ducts to help some air into the wheel wells. I wouldn't bother with Red stuff pads at a track, I find them great for the road and a lap or two at a track but any more than that they don't like it.
Something like these would be a very good set up.
http://www.vagbremtechnic.com/front...-calipers-with-390x34mm-2-piece-discs-bk0006/
And in between you have various options from RS4,5 , Porsche etc.
As much as I would love a new set up for my own s4 ,there is no way I would pay almost £3 k for the privilege of looking nice when parked as that's the reason most that I would be doing it .

Those brakes don't just look good they would also enable you to drive flat out round a track for many laps and still be able to pull up quickly with confidence. You can get moderate upgrades that look pretty but when asked to perform will be caught short. Standard RS4 , RS5 brakes aren't that good when asked to perform on the track and you could end up paying £1500-£2000 to get that kind of setup on the car.
You can get the 8 pot calipers easily enough but the caliper mounting brackets are expensive.

The main thing i found when i created that thread was that cooling seemed to be one of the biggest issues, personally when i come to sort out a brake upgrade i will be going for the Q5 brembos and fabricating up some cooling ducts, chopping up the fog light covers in the process i should imagine.

I'm researching this for an article as we speak, bigger is not always better. An S4 almost tail ended my S4. Mine is on stock he has massive Lamborghini jobbies. Now we tried hard stops a number of times and got the same results.

I looked into this talking to a few brake manufacturers, as suspected is a pretty complex equation.

I'm fitting the REVO bbk on mine after seeing them perform so well at the REVO experience. Full test and running report coming soon.

I've got the vagbremtechnic kit on mine. When I was looking performance was my main priority as I didn't want to be putting my into a tyre wall on a track day. It's performed flawlessly so far and I'm yet to add the cooling upgrades I've planned. As above I'd read a fair few people wanting to upgrade rs4's rs5's and rs6's as they were not happy with the performance and there only seemed to be 2 options, ceramics at about 8k which would be an absolute dream or the ap racing kit. It would have cost over £2k for a nice looking under performing rs kit or £3k for a better looking better performing setup

ive gone for the r8 front calipers and the rs5 disc's im sure these will be more than up to the job ?
also on gary link there is and additional link to some ttrs ( I think ) where inner arch liners that have air ducts in them , that can be made to fit on the s4 , it has all the part numbers for the bits to

I'm researching this for an article as we speak, bigger is not always better. An S4 almost tail ended my S4. Mine is on stock he has massive Lamborghini jobbies. Now we tried hard stops a number of times and got the same results.

I looked into this talking to a few brake manufacturers, as suspected is a pretty complex equation.

I'm fitting the REVO bbk on mine after seeing them perform so well at the REVO experience. Full test and running report coming soon.
I agree with the above. The rs4 /5 calipers piston surface area is only about 3% more than a stock caliper but needs hugely more fluid volume and can be spongey and under performing with the stock master cylinder. In addition with the disc's being non directional one side will get very hot leading to unbalanced breaking.
Whilst the pad surface area is bigger than stock due to the way these pads run in the caliper you can lose breaking power due to them binding in the stainless inserts.
I went with db9 calipers and q5 pillar vane disc's as my upgrade and have found these a vast improvement as there effective piston surface area is the same as stock as is the fluid volume required to shift them but the pad surface is larger. The pillar vane disc's ensure superior cooling as well.

Just my 2 pence

I added the TTRS vents and Macan ducts to my car a while ago.
Karls 3.0 TDI build thread
Require some fettling to make them fit but it looks OE when done and seems to work well. I had planned to do some track days last year but never got around to it. Hopefully this year, will be getting some different pads for the Q5 calipers though, probably DS2500 or similar. Good thing about those calipers is they use the same pad profile as EVO's and Imprezzas so you can get almost any pad compound for them.

Cheers desert storm , good build thread that one of Karl's , looks like I'll be on the phone to vw and Porsche soon

Ive got the calipers sorted , just need the rs5 discs not to bad price from vw ( joys of being in the trade )
My mate has a new rs3 which I think run the same disc , so I'm going blag him to see if I try one of,his disc's first and I hope the rs3 calliper bracket is the same and will fit my s4

I think the issue with the rs3 disc's are the center bore is a smaller diameter.

8J0821191G + 8J0821192D for wheel well vents
8J0807547A and 8J0807548A for the wheel well spoilers. Raise a parts request with Mike as he does really good prices for these .