S4 Fuel - What are you using?

Robbe

Reaction score
Just wanted to know what people are using for the S4. I know the car can run or normal unleaded but is their any advantage of super?

Currently using normal unleaded and might put super through every now and then.. but what are other people doing?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Just wanted to know what people are using for the S4. I know the car can run or normal unleaded but is their any advantage of super?

Currently using normal unleaded and might put super through every now and then.. but what are other people doing?

Tesco Momentum 99 week to week. Pretty solid stuff. shell nitro every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have opened a can of worms @Robbe . It is a very sensitive topic to some on this forum.

Anyway, although you’ve asked it on B9 forum I thought I’ll reply from an S4 point of view.

On my Stock S4, I have always used Shell VPower. After the remap it is VPower or Tesco Momentum.

The fuel cap says 91/95 RON and so you can use ‘normal’ fuel but it’s only a saving of £2-£3 max on a tank. I don’t like doing that kind of saving and run it on whatever best option is available. After all, we are running S4s and not M3s or C63s

You’ll never see me at Supermarkets or BP garage to fill up my car - ***** fuel imho.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I usually use Tesco Momentum and have been getting around 38mpg. Had to fill up with Esso premium equivalent and got 32mpg for the same 175mile journey I make on a Monday morning.

Reactions: V6_Man and Thundercliffe81
Texaco as it’s the fuel card we use and nearest garage, 25mpg over 7000 miles.

I've got 29.7 mpg over 18k miles on Tesco Momentum 99. Not too shabby. Getting 34mpg on my 'steady' commutes to work (82mile round trip)

On my standard B8.5 S4 I run standard unleaded either Shell or Texaco. I did an experiment with 3 tanks of V Power when I first got the car. It made no difference to the mpg (measured brim to brim) and no detectable difference to performance. At 10p litre difference I've stuck to the standard stuff ever since and had no issues in 3 and a bit years. I don't buy boggo supermarket fuel though, I'm not daft. :)

On a remapped car it'd be different.

Reactions: V6_Man and Thundercliffe81
On my standard B8.5 S4 I run standard unleaded either Shell or Texaco. I did an experiment with 3 tanks of V Power when I first got the car. It made no difference to the mpg (measured brim to brim) and no detectable difference to performance. At 10p litre difference I've stuck to the standard stuff ever since and had no issues in 3 and a bit years. I don't buy boggo supermarket fuel though, I'm not daft. :)

Yeah I've got friends that use Asda and Morrison standard fuel. Dear God. That's why Tesco 99 is the surprise of the bunch. Shell nitro got cleaning additives? That's what I use once a month

Reactions: scotty76 and V6_Man

Yeah I've got friends that use Asda and Morrison standard fuel. Dear God. That's why Tesco 99 is the surprise of the bunch. Shell nitro got cleaning additives? That's what I use once a month

planning on using 95, despite using 98+ in my other cars.

not sure if supermarket fuel is any better worse than shell/texaco? the supermarkets tend to get more throughput which is probably a good thing.

I've only got shells near me so its probably academic

I've gone back to standard supermarket fuel. I tried several tanks of super, Sainsbury's first then Tesco's, and I couldn't feel the difference. I'd rather save the money as I do quite a few miles a week.

Quite, there is no proven difference, aside from the added expense, that in today's modern cars there is a difference from supermarket fuel to the more expensive.
They all come from the same depot after all and the same tankers are used from one garage to another. Fuel quality has to be same because it has stringent EU legislation that governs the supply. The difference in cost is because supermarkets buy vast quatities and they use the price to get people into their shops, whereas franchaised companies such as shell cannot do this.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe and Daggerit
:D Is Tesco not a supermarket? :D

Yeah but as you imagine, there's a LOT of threads about this haha. It's not a placebo. I've noticed Tesco 99 difference on my B8.5 and B9. More grunt/shove but more noticeably, the mpg. Honestly. I've ran Asda before in the old one a few times and the range just goes down very quickly.

Shell nitro, more in my B8.5, was very noticeable with a lot more punch and acceleration. But...each to their own. Haha. I'm bailing out of this before it becomes 'another' fuel ️ thread

Reactions: scotty76, A4AvantBlackEdition and V6_Man