S4 Gear Knob

GrayT

Reaction score
The following is described as an "original" S4 gear knob:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-AUDI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eaef31c57

Yes I know it's expensive, but my query is, it describes it as "optical" and "plug and play". So, is this a proper S4 gear knob and does it illuminate? Is it the red circle that lights up if it does? Finally, by plug and play do all A4's have an adapter fitted to take the wiring or would I have to tap into the cigarette lighter wires?

I'm actually not that bothered whether it illuminates or not but I don't like the way the silver has peeled of my existing sport one and want an original looking but sporty replacement.

ps It illustrates 5 speed but I've queried and they only stock 6 speed (which is what I need).

Has anyone got one of the ones Simon suggested? It looks cool, but I can also see it looking gash if not made correctly (i.e. cheap foreign import)

I don't no any one with one but IV found a few on the bay although. This one may not say it I did see one on there before and he had 100% positive fed back and every one who had one from him was very pleased but I think its just if you want to try it or not mate but if its how it looks then its grate if its not then send it back no loss really just a wee bit of time

i prefer the S4 one looks way better and must less tacky.

i would not go as far to say its tacky more just not to every ones tast i think they look nice my self and look well put together.
im not over keen on the s4 one looks a bit to vw golf to me

Last edited:
Simon needs an illuminated one so he knows where the gears are when it gets dark.

:eyebrows:

ha no i dont i have the ambient lighting for that lol plus my eyes have not gone yet and i can find all 16 gears in a truck with no lights at all hahaha i was just putting some other knobs up to look at seems there is loads out there :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, not so keen on the other one in the link.

No one's really answered my question as yet, so I'll probably order and see how it works out.

well i have had a look at my car lighter when i was doing some thing a few mths back and i did not see any thing to plug into
so id say you have to tap into the lighter mate

I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm not aware the S4 ever had an illuminated gearstick.....

I think 'plug and play' in this instance just means a straightforward swap like for like.

I think you're both probably right. Like I say, not too fussed about the illumination and was happy with mine but for the fact the cheap silver bit has mostly worn off from the previous owner. This one looks to have proper metal. Cheers

Just by way of update. I bought it and fitted it a few days ago. I think it suits very nicely, especially with my existing trim. It doesn't illuminate (which I'm fine with). Came supplied with the leather gaiter and the one use clip and it does look like an original part. I expect I'll put my old one up for sale in due course:

Gearknob.jpg