S4 - Is It Worth It ?!

Aojb

Reaction score
So, after much searching I’ve found a potential S4 Avant to buy.

It’s a 2009 with literally every option specced apart from garage link ... full history. Gearbox replaced 20k miles ago. New timing chain and supercharger belts too. New tyres and brakes.

On 100k miles and it’s up for £13,900 at a used car dealer.

What sort of price do people think would be reasonable?

Cheers

Hard to say without more detail.Whats a garage link option?Auto?You need to be careful with these older ones.My son looked at lots for over a year until he went for an S5 this summer.He decided to borrow the extra and get one with the later box and much lower miles

Sorry should have said it’s a DSG but had the whole box replaced by Audi 20k miles ago ...

It’s a garage in Manchester, not got the link to hand right now ...

Sounds good if that price is reasonable. However I suggest you don't take their word about the work done - you should check the invoices.

Phone Audi UK and verify exactly what was done.

Anyone can print off fake service history on headed paper. Can even get fake main dealer rubber stamps on ebay these days.

Phone Audi UK and verify exactly what was done.
This.

I found that Audi CS are only to happy to help with this type of stuff. I also found that my particular car had had an applicable brake fluid change when it should have done, despite a 'fully' documented Audi paper history not including the invoice for it. If only I'd known when buying it, I could have haggled a bit! :redface:

Paul

Sometimes its also worth contacting the name of any garages on the bottom of the numberplates aswell.

One car Ive owned, was HPi clear, but the front numberplate was a garage that does accident repair.

Contacted them an found out said car a year earlier had had a new front end fitted but not gone through the insurance...

Thanks for the advice guys.

The stamps are all main dealer and the work
reciepts are all official Audi ones. I will definitely check them out with Audi customer services though !!

So, on the basis that the work is genuine and the mileage is verifiable £13,900 is a reasonable price ? I’m hoping there May be some scope to haggle ...

going on what we saw it doesnt seem that cheap for an 09.Asssuming Audi replaced the gearbox like for like then there must always be a doubt over reliability.Has it got any sort of guarantee from Audi? I remember seeing a full spec 2011 with 60k in early summer which had had a new box at 40k Really nice in sprint blue but decided if the box might only last another 20k it wasnt worth the risk so started looking at later ones.Its hard to compare these cos the options are so extensive and most dont have the Audi Select and lots dont even have heated seats!

Well depends on what way you look at it really...

Its a nigh on 10 year old, 100k mile car. For nearly 14 grand. With 100k mile car problems.

Or is it a nice weekend car for the summers for the next 10 years thats gonna sit around in the garage during the winter.

For me, i wouldnt even waste my time looking at it. But my opinion/situation/needs/wants is probably different to yours lol

It’s definitely going to be a daily driver (albeit minimal mileage). I’m having a similar thought but then again it’s a very good spec and ostensibly well looked after and S4s are commanding reasonable money.
Equally it’s a car I want to own and am not interested in a 2.0tdi ...

If the answer is it should be £10/11/12k then great and I can have that conversation with the seller ...