S4 lead times

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering what the leads times have been like from order to delivery on the S4? I have been quoted anything from 2 to 4 months, and when placing the order they said it might not be here in time to beat the VAT hike. eeek!

Thanks

Way back in Novemeber they quoted me 12 to 16 weeks, so they are not pulling your leg with the 4 months.

Push them to pay the VAT increase if they miss any sort of delivery date.

Well i got in there early to order mine, placed the order early August, after constantly badgering the dealer i eventually got a built week last week, saying i should have my car in thre to four weeks, so looking like three month if your lucky from order to delivery, my friend enquired about changing his marathon a5 order to an s4, they said it would turn up in feb if he ordered now!! Never had to wait this long for a car, are BMW like this?, this is the first dare i say it "prestige" car i have bought.

Well i got confirmation of build week today from the dealer, almost 1 month to the day after placing the order. Car wont be built until mid Feb (Week 7)

Not very happy, having to wait 6 months for a car is beyond funny

6 months!!:faint:
I managed to get off 10%, but had to shop between dealers, a lot said they would not discount an S4 and would not budge above 4% discount. It ended up being the bigger dealer that gave the best deal in the end, also be aware that the manual is not in the lower tax band now, i found this out when my car turned up, even though the audi uk page still advertised it in the lower ban, i got a rebait from audi for the difference for three years motoring tax so i wasnt out of pocket due to their misleading advertising. even now the g/km figure is wrong in some places.

What!!!! How much is the road tax for real vs the quoted figure?

Managed about 10% discount as well here

According to my MY11 brochure the manual S4 is 234 g/km, so in band L, £750 for the first new registration year, and £425 thereafter.

The S tronic is 219 g/km, so in band K, so £550 first year, and £245 per year.

Changes to vehicle tax from April 2010 : Directgov - Motoring

Glad I ordered S Tronic now!

Oh, and 8% discount, and that took some getting, with help from Consilio! They did offer a decentish price for my S3 as well though.

Last edited:
234 thats not good, and ultimatly expensive. The manual being 225 was why i had the saloon over the avant. I wonder whats changed? Have they adjusted the fuel figures as well?

So I have done some calculations and based on the cost savings with the auto box with reduced fuel consumption and road tax, there is very little difference in total cost between the manual and auto box.

So the question is what should I go with? I have checked with the dealer and I am still able to make changes to my order

So which is better, auto or manual, and what's the auto box like to drive?

Auto for me I got an S3 DSG, it is just such fun, and quicker to 60, and more MPG, put it in manual and drive it like an manual just no clutch, the gear change is just beautiful, and so fast to flick through the gears, it is the way forward, and again better for resale later on

I've got to agree with Brett. Although I've never driven an S Tronic car, or even an S4 for that matter!! I ordered it because it just seemed a no brainer, and I didn't know about this tax thing until yesterday. But if you are looking at the tax vs cost, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more car tax raises in the next 3 years, so the tax saving may not happen in the long run.

It's interesting that you can still change options after such a long order though...still pondering over a few changes myself!

well when I ordered my S3, although it was a stock car ordered by the garage it had not been built, or could they give me a delivery date, but they would/said could not change nothing

I drove both a manual and s-tronic before i placed my order, also had a pop in a 3.0tdi which was great as well.

I dont think the s-tronic is any quicker in the S4 for some reason, i may be wrong though. The auto is a great system and compliments the lazy driver, i loved it, but upon returning to the garage i thought, how quickly will i get bored with this? I now drive a manual ;)

Ultimatly get your self in both for at least an hour in each, see how you feel and adjust your order as required. With a performace car like the S4 i dont think it will make much odds come resale if you have manual or auto, it basically preference of the buyer.

Enjoy :)

The auto S4 is actually 0.2 secs slower than the manual - I dont think i'd notice 0.2 secs!!

I dont see any reason why you cant change an order at this stage, its just a record on a database somewhere. Until it gets to the point where their ordering parts and starting to put the build together i'd imagine it makes no odds. As their not building it till February I doubt they have done anything with it.

I can't see how the Stronic is slower, it won't hit 7th in S mode unless in cruise or doing very illegal speeds. Changes are so quick a manual car will just be dropping the clutch. It may be quicker just ramming gears and dumping the clutch on launch but that's not real world driving.

Is it because the manual will hit 60mph in 2nd gear, and the Stronic changes in to 3rd gear? Matt you will know?

234 thats not good, and ultimatly expensive. The manual being 225 was why i had the saloon over the avant. I wonder whats changed? Have they adjusted the fuel figures as well?

Think it must be due to the new emission standards for 2011, please I got mine last year.

on the subject of lead times, I'm being offered a March delivery I order this month and a 6% discount off list as a starter.

Can't do much about March but has anyone got any views about the 6%? They are only offering me about £500 more for my car than webuyanycar.com would.. . Its only the start of negotiations but any help appreciated!

March is about right, in fact maybe a little optimistic. As per above i'll have waited six months for mine when it finally arrives.

In terms of discount, 10% appears achievable from the conversations i've had with people. The offer on my current S3 was well below expectations so i'll be selling privately

I agree 6% is a little tight, and yes 10% has been achievable in the past, but the biggest problem at the moment is Audi selling well atm cos of the A1, so targets are being met, and because of the VAT rise, they sort of have a grip on people now, trying to buy quick, though not really in some cases due to lead times, I think the best discounts will come during first part of next year. and 2nd hand prices will rise due to new car increase on vat.