S4 lowering info please

Chris Nelson

Audi S4 B8.5 Black edition. APR stage 2+ 495bhp
Reaction score
Evening guys.

Im thinking of lowering the s4 and nust wanted some info on what to do.
Im after springs and cant drop it on its **** bescause when i go mountain biking i need ground clearance at some of the trail centres.
Ive read that because the s4 is lower standard than an a4 if you get springs 20mm or less drop you wont tell the difference is this true?

What i could do with is a couple of shots of peoples cars with different heights to see the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't remember the exact figures but think the S4 is already 15-20mm lower than standard SE So for the H&Rs you need to take this off your drop I.E. 40mm springs won't give you a 40mm drop more like 20mm

IMG 4376

40mm H&R springs on 19" S5 alloys still quite a high car in comparison to some others

Nice one chop cheers bro.
I like how yours is sat like do you ever scrape on speed bumps or anything?
Also did you get 40mm front and rear ive seen some that are different drops

Mine are a 30mm drop spring. No issues with dumps.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mine is about a 25mm drop with 15mm spacers on the rear and 10mm spacers on the front, so I do get a very tiny bit of rubbing on the rear over large bumps but apart from that it's fine!

H&R by the way!

IMG 0163

IMG 0164

Yeah H&R, the part number for the springs I got was 29059-2 which is actually a 40-45mm drop on an A5 but states they are also compatible with the S4 as well!

Yeah not too bad firmer but not going to rattle your teeth out.

Sweet are yours h & r too? Could you post a pic olease bro

My drop was not that aggressive as they are only a 30/35mm drop. There are h&r sports i think i can try and get a part number later if you need one. I have 10mm spacers all round. No rubbing at all so far.
e3558210d82fb2b6bc465235b88d8a28.jpg
a090b2951cda162ada55c51acbe703a9.jpg
7468ad54b8881328f7c3d61e9c741a36.jpg

Reactions: Chop.
Yeah H&R, the part number for the springs I got was 29059-2 which is actually a 40-45mm drop on an A5 but states they are also compatible with the S4 as well!

Yeah not too bad firmer but not going to rattle your teeth out.
Ah right nice one that makes sense because the s4/5 is lower anyway so chop was right in what he said about the drop

My drop was not that aggressive as they are only a 30/35mm drop. There are h&r sports i think i can try and get a part number later if you need one. I have 10mm spacers all round. No rubbing at all so far.
e3558210d82fb2b6bc465235b88d8a28.jpg
a090b2951cda162ada55c51acbe703a9.jpg
7468ad54b8881328f7c3d61e9c741a36.jpg

Awesome yeah please bro i think this drop might be ideal for me beacuse my car doubles up as a bike van on weekends and it looks like you still have some clearance. Cheers bro

Will get you a close up of my drop, car is dirty thou

Nice one chop cheers bro.
I like how yours is sat like do you ever scrape on speed bumps or anything?
Also did you get 40mm front and rear ive seen some that are different drops

They were 40mm front and rear, the front mud flaps scrape on most speed bumps but Iv only caught the bottom of the car once and that was on some ridiculous mountain of a speed bump so overall it's fine day to day

But reading your post it's possibly to low for what you need, I don't venture off the black stuff unless it's pretty flat

No arch rubbing at all

They were 40mm front and rear, the front mud flaps scrape on most speed bumps but Iv only caught the bottom of the car once and that was on some ridiculous mountain of a speed bump so overall it's fine day to day

But reading your post it's possibly to low for what you need, I don't venture off the black stuff unless it's pretty flat

No arch rubbing at all
Possibly mate i had my focus rs slammed on coilovers and i just about managed but with the s4 being longer i might struggle ha

Car is dirty sorry
579639b941b441ef66e08c669d4614ce.jpg
9f1872c13582dc4aba85147b0d58b8e4.jpg
676ebc869adfb7a7210a6708e5ce4669.jpg

HR code on mine is 29061

Just burn all your money and buy an air ride kit. (obviously not the most sensible idea...)
I was thinking about air ride and having the best of both worlds. Pricey do but man points galore in going for it haha

My air ride is getting installed tomorrow. I wanted my car lower but take it off the road into uneven car parks and parking fields quite regularly when im surfing so air is the only way i can go low without risking damage.

Reactions: xpoweruk, Chris Nelson and Chop.
My air ride is getting installed tomorrow. I wanted my car lower but take it off the road into uneven car parks and parking fields quite regularly when im surfing so air is the only way i can go low without risking damage.
Fair play man get some pics posted when you get it done that will look sick

Will do, hopefully get the car back at the start of next week, me and a mate (mostly him because he's done loads of air installs already) are going to be doing it over the next few evenings

Will do, hopefully get the car back at the start of next week, me and a mate (mostly him because he's done loads of air installs already) are going to be doing it over the next few evenings
Sweet man hopefully wont be too bad to do. Be a good project though man

Eibach pro
IMG 5529

Reactions: Chris Nelson and Chop.
Sorry Chris was on hols

How much did this kit cost you and how's it been since install
Thanks lee

The Rrp of the kit was around 3.5k (Airlift performance 3P), I managed to get it for around 2k in the end, had no problems at all since I had it installed. My mate who installed it does pretty much 1 air ride setup per week though. I recently moved and would have no chance of getting in on the drive if I wasn't on air, I used to catch on some speed bumps when it was the standard S suspension

Car looks absoloutly stunning!!!. Tbh my car came without adaptive suspension so i stuck with sport all time anyhow. No comfort mode for me haha. I want air because it looks cool af. And hopefully be able to get best of both worlds with air suspension. A comfier spongy ride with family instead of go kart feel all time which is a pain till am out the town centre (speed bumps/pot holes) is the ride still stiff when car got clearance? Or does it loosen up? Only ever dropped a car on springs b4. Thanks for getting back just wanted a bit of info and a starting point .. much appreciated
Lee

Reactions: Lavis89
When it's raised right up to clear speed bumps etc is stiff because you have to put more air in the bags to gain the clearance, on my normal drive height its a lot more comfortable when you're hitting small bumps, potholes etc.

I've got no regrets with going on air, it's pricey but cheaper than replacing a gearbox or engine if the sump gets smashed (one of my mates split his sump on his standard s-line B7 a4) on the local speed bumps

Reactions: Chipmunk73
Does it have a compression chamber of some sort in boot .. i mean do you lose room in car/boot??

Depends on how good the installer is! I only had to lose the spare wheel for mine. There's a air tank, 2 compressors and the system management computer thing all in the spare wheel well. The tank isn't ideal, it's a bit small for such a big car but it can get me from fully aired out to my drive height with no issues, need to give it 30 seconds or so to recharge the air if I need it to get to full height to get off my drive