S4 noise levels

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I'm looking at a trackday at Goodwood and it has two categories; those with a maximum of 98dB, the other for 105dB. My preferred option (for reasons of costs and numbers on track at any time) would be the 98dB category, but don't know if I'd pass it.

Has anyone with an S4 had it tested for noise levels?

Reactions: V6_Man
I'm looking at a trackday at Goodwood and it has two categories; those with a maximum of 98dB, the other for 105dB. My preferred option (for reasons of costs and numbers on track at any time) would be the 98dB category, but don't know if I'd pass it.

Has anyone with an S4 had it tested for noise levels?

https://www.auto-decibel-db.com/index_kmh.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdp1962
54ddeb0e4f6b981fef4bb1b084da9209.jpg

Reactions: mister.c., V6_Man and jdp1962
Yup; that's the screen I was working from; good idea about a phone app.

Unless you have screaming loud induction kit or a completely straight through exhaust you will be fine. 98dB is uncomfortably loud, to the point you would want to put your fingers in your ears or ear defenders on if you were stood within 0.5m.

If you have a stock car, it’s not even worth worrying about.

If your using an app, make sure it is measuring in dB(A), not dB(C)

Reactions: mister.c. and jdp1962
This is interior noise levels, not exterior. Regardless, most stock cars will make less than 98dB.

If you have intake and exhaust then you will need to actually test. There are loads of apps for your phone which can estimate your actual noise levels.

I agree but the interior noise can be taken as a reference point. The actual exterior noise will depend on how far the mic is placed outside the vehicle, its speed, tyres and the road surface and not to mention the device used to record it.

Stock exhaust with an aftermarket induction kit, which is the setup Jeff has would definitely be lower than 98db.

Below is an exhaust test run almost a decade ago with aftermarket setups.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/376019-PNW-B8-S4-Exhaust-Fest-2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about a standard road car at Goodwood.
My son has competed there for the last 2 years in an Ex Works Nissan Sunny F2 rally car (Goodwood Stages rally) which is ****** loud, even compared to an S4 with an aftermarket exhaust/back box delete.

Out of interest, does the Soundaktor system determine noise levels outside the car or just inside?