S4 Oil Service warning

Paul_P1

Reaction score
Hi, just looking for some advice, don't trust the dealers so wanted to know others experiences. My 2018 S4 has been warning me that it requires an oil Change at about the year old mark for a while now, the inspection is another 12 months away or 12000 ish miles. The car has only done 6400 miles. Reading other posts, I can see some people saying that this oil change is optional and that I can reset the warning. After doing that the oil and inspection tie up at the two year mark. I find it hard to believe the long life oil in the car requires changing at 6400 miles and just over a year. All the dealers nearby are wanting £300 to perform the oil service too, which is daylight robbery in my opinion. The car is a lease, so don't want to incur the wrath of VWFS.....

No, don’t ignore it. I’m not a S owner but when a engine is new it’s breaking in and it’s good practice to change a new cars oil early. The car has sensors for the oil quality and it’s telling you it needs changed. You can reset it yourself but that’s self defeating. How you drive and what type of driving all affect the quality of oil. Get it changed.

Get quotes within the area of some local Audi dealers. Itemised using genuine parts. Also the oil for the S is not cheap. It’s one of the more expensive oils for cars. £300 seems a little much. Everything on the S is more expensive and when you get quotes for the S, because of the oil it’ll be more expensive to service than the 2.0 in diesel or petrol. Always expect that with a performance inspired model.

Last edited:
Your car uses the latest VW spec oil 508 00 / 509 00 0w20 and you’ll need close to 8 litres of oil to do the change. (It’s not 8litres exactly but if you were buying the oil) Audi probably has big barrels of the stuff

I seem to remember the top up that Audi give you in the boot from factory is LL 5w-30, I'll check. Costs about £65 for 8L. The previous car I had (M135i) used the same LL oil and made it to the two year mark, 12000 miles. What I want confirmed is whether or not it's an optional service from audi, if that the case I could get it done somewhere else and reset the warning. Then at the two year mark get the oil and inspection done at an Audi dealer which should keep VWFS happy.

As others have stated don't ignore. Because of your low mileage your car service schedule has been correctly set to a fixed service regime, which is yearly.
I only do around 5000 miles a year and it is the same...

I seem to remember the top up that Audi give you in the boot from factory is LL 5w-30, I'll check. Costs about £65 for 8L. The previous car I had (M135i) used the same LL oil and made it to the two year mark, 12000 miles. What I want confirmed is whether or not it's an optional service from audi, if that the case I could get it done somewhere else and reset the warning. Then at the two year mark get the oil and inspection done at an Audi dealer which should keep VWFS happy.
I think mine was 0W-30, however they put 0W-20 in when they change the oil (just had mine done last week).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He’s not ignored it he's reset it to line up with long life service if you want it done yearly you get it done then and it’s Ickes in if you want long life you reset the first oil service. It’s audi approved and correct

Even though the inspection is a year away? Is this correct, I've managed to get them down to a more reasonable £199 for the oil service, but would get it done elsewhere or not at all of not absolutely needed.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
As stated before your mileage means you should be having a service every year, thus in a year's time you should have the inspection service also plus another oil change...
https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing.html

"When should I service my Audi?
There are two types of service schedule available: Fixed (serviced every 9,000 miles/1 year) and Flexible (up to 19,000 miles/2 years). We recommend a Flexible schedule for people who drive longer distances, typically on motorways and main roads, while a Fixed schedule is right for lower-mileage drivers who do more city and town centre driving. Speak to your Audi Centre to find out more."

Last edited:
Should have said but the car came setup as variable servicing, the oil service started at 2 years and quickly counted down from there. I realise why it's done that. With this being a lease I'm only really interested in knowing if I can reset it and wait til next year. Why would they give the owner of the car the choice to reset the oil service warning? I've never seen it so easily done in any other car I've had.

My car also came incorrectly set at the flexible servicing schedule, despite telling the supplying dealership my yearly mileage. You should ignore that and have the correct service routine for your yearly mileage then have the service set to fixed.
On a lease if you don't follow the correct servicing regime you maybe in breach...

Even though the inspection is a year away? Is this correct, I've managed to get them down to a more reasonable £199 for the oil service, but would get it done elsewhere or not at all of not absolutely needed.

Which Audi dealer was this? Harrogate want to charge me £360 -£70 discount = £290.00
Trying to get them to price match a local garage

Oil filter part number 06M198405F £14.78+VAT
Sump plug N91167901 £4.46 inc VAT & washer
Oil 0W20 long life Say £90.00
Total cost of materials £112.20 inc VAT
Labour???

I seem to recall that mostly town driving / short trips is a 9000 mile service schedule and motorway / highway @ 19000 miles . Sounds like yours is all v.short trips which is why the oil condition is such its asking for an change so early. Inspection is still fixed at 19k.

Reactions: WesT-gefül