S4 onto A4 rear brake upgrade.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening guys.
As I'm on an upgrade session I was going to have another go at the S4 rear 300mm disc upgrade onto my old bus.
On closer web search a few sets are for sale all in similar rough condition with almost all in need of total rebuilds etc and for the stupid "S4 /RS4 " prices that sellers seem to think are acceptable.
Anyway, noticed a set on the dreaded FB market place, not cheap but not as much as some on offer, pic looked ideal , well until on closer questioning the pic the seller is showing is not his set.
The pics of the items he is selling are not even close condition wise, and as for his description " like new" , i think he should be had up for miselling twice over, what are some people like.

If some poor unsuspecting guy buys these based on the pic he has listed and they are posted aswell so no way of knowing you'll b getting something different, well i'd be issed off to put it mildly.
Why do people do this sort of thing, arghhhhh it really gets my back up.

Rant over , i wont be going to him that's for sure but i may just get some new carriers and a pair of M-tech 300mm vented discs and wack them on.
Brem3
Brem2
Brem1

Evening guys.
As I'm on an upgrade session I was going to have another go at the S4 rear 300mm disc upgrade onto my old bus.
On closer web search a few sets are for sale all in similar rough condition with almost all in need of total rebuilds etc and for the stupid "S4 /RS4 " prices that sellers seem to think are acceptable.
Anyway, noticed a set on the dreaded FB market place, not cheap but not as much as some on offer, pic looked ideal , well until on closer questioning the pic the seller is showing is not his set.
The pics of the items he is selling are not even close condition wise, and as for his description " like new" , i think he should be had up for miselling twice over, what are some people like.

If some poor unsuspecting guy buys these based on the pic he has listed and they are posted aswell so no way of knowing you'll b getting something different, well i'd be issed off to put it mildly.
Why do people do this sort of thing, arghhhhh it really gets my back up.

Rant over , i wont be going to him that's for sure but i may just get some new carriers and a pair of M-tech 300mm vented discs and wack them on.View attachment 242219View attachment 242220View attachment 242221

I always look for subtle (and massive obvious red flags ) clues in adverts when buying online ..I’d run a mile from that listing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the S4 rear setup, just larger discs, and carriers with a greater offset? Thought about doing it on mine when i did the 18z's to finish the job, but couldn't justify the expense fore the calipers/carriers

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Isn't the S4 rear setup, just larger discs, and carriers with a greater offset? Thought about doing it on mine when i did the 18z's to finish the job, but couldn't justify the expense fore the calipers/carriers
To be Honest Alex the S4 B7 rear conversion is a lot of money for what it is, well it's not if sellers didn't ramp up prices of the used parts.
I've said it before and it still applies, a lot of sellers see RS & S parts as a licence to print money, a lot of it is just way overly priced given most used kit is well used and pretty shabby to say the least.
I don't have an issue with cost as long as it's worth it, i still don't think the s4 rears are worth the cost given the parts required.

I may just wack on some 3.0TDI 300mm non vented discs and decent pads , a fraction of the s4 conversion and just as good overall effect .

Last edited:
I've just ordered some now.
300mm discs and better pads, just over £80 to get 300mm setup on the rears , maynot be vented but then I'm not racing .

Is that on stock calipers then Rob? Im assuming mine will be the same as yours as per stock?

yep, you'll have the same rear calipers as mine. :thumbs up:
a pair of 300mm 3.0tdi discs and pads came to £76.00 inc del with some promo discount, it's a no brainer really, it will balance up the front to rear a bias bit more now without spending £450
so i have £374 to spend on other b7 goodies now.... yea :yahoo::yes:

Ah okay, that sounds a good idea then. What size are the stock rear discs, and where did you get yours from Rob?

On our buses the OE rears are , non vented - Diameter: 288 Thickness: 12 Minimum Thickness: 10 Height: 36 Bore Diameter: 68 Studs: 5
the closest non vented 300mm setup to match these but still fit the OE caliper setup is, non vented - Diameter: 300 Thickness: 12 Minimum Thickness: 10 Height: 36 Bore Diameter: 68 Studs: 5
they are standard fitment on several platforms but i choose these from, an A4 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro 04/08 -08/12

they will be here in a few days and on by Friday if you are thinking of doing similar.

Let me know how you get on and i might join you with that upgrade, it would finish my setup off nicley

New 300mm discs arrived today a week late, so much for parcel force 24hr...
Anyway, it's parcel force so nothing is a surprise.
So 300mm discs, they look the business but not really that much bigger than what's on at the moment, they'll balance up the bias a bit but I doubt I'll notice any serious difference.
now to get them on. :icon thumright:
IMG 3661

And can you believe it, just when I'm about to embark on this another plan has dropped in my lap.....always the way.

Not yet Alex, i'm stuck between these new 300's sitting on my bench and another setup that may workout better, hopefully have an update in the next few days.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
I'm sticking with the 300's as the other plan wasn't viable in the end.
One side is on this evening, just need to do the other tommorow.

So what else is needed to fit the 300mm tdi stuff? Or do they just fit on with the standard b7 caliper and carrier?

Could be handy for my old s4 and the b7 too. I’m not fussed about vented on the back either but my s4 rears are mega crap looking.

If you're not changing the carrier does the pad not sit in exactly the same place so actually there's no actually performance gain or are the pads wider to reach the outer edge of the disc?

300mm fit the hub etc spot on but there is not enough clearance in the A4 288mm carrier/caliper setup , about 2mm more is needed so that plan is off the menu, it could be done with some fettling but not ideal.
they would fit the S4 as it is set for a 300mm disc but so is the width .

There are other options I'm exploring too but for now 300 tdi's are going back for a refund.
If you don't try you don't find out... :thumbs up:

If you're not changing the carrier does the pad not sit in exactly the same place so actually there's no actually performance gain or are the pads wider to reach the outer edge of the disc?
different pads .

I have a another plan but i'll see how it works out first, no point giving away all the secrets..:yes: