S4 Tappets

Vorsprung_Durch_Technik

Reaction score
Hiya guys

My S4 occasionally at startup from cold. gives a small amount of tappet rattle for a second or two. Anyone else come accross this with theirs?
Its a 2003 4.2 V8. Was thinking of dropping the oil, and using engine flush, although the car is on long life 20K service intervals, and isnt due a service. Anyone come accross this with theirs?

Cheers:icon_thumright:

..:hi: id scrap the longlife service, especially on a monster engine like yours!!!

Its the cam chain tensioners rattling. A common occurence on S4's. They rattle due to oil pressure initially being low. Had mine for 3yrs now and it has always done it. There is a tech bulletin, US, for this and other owners have had the fault rectified under warranty. Its a big job to remedy, engine out job.

J7USS said:
..:hi: id scrap the longlife service, especially on a monster engine like yours!!!
Yeah Im not going to keep it on them. Seems way to long to me, but I suppose if it was ever going to be an issue, Audi would not have the intervals set in such a way.

Tendaimwari said:
Its the cam chain tensioners rattling. A common occurence on S4's. They rattle due to oil pressure initially being low. Had mine for 3yrs now and it has always done it. There is a tech bulletin, US, for this and other owners have had the fault rectified under warranty. Its a big job to remedy, engine out job.

Oh well, as mines out of warranty i guess thats that. It makes me cringe when i start it in the morning. And you say that yours has always done it and not got any worse?

I'd get off of the Longlife servicing as the oil is a lighter viscosity than used on the normal service schedule.

You may find that with a heavier oil the problem goes away as the oil pressure should be higher on startup.

HTH

@ VDT: It has not got any worse. Also it sounds the same if the car has not been driven for 1 day or 1 week. Some only notice the noise after long periods. I sometimes let the engine turn over a couple of time to allow oil pressure to build up. This does work but the problem is the engine tends to fire up straight away.

I tend to change my oil in between recommended service intervals. Currently on AVS plan which uses VW504, 0W-30 or 5w-30 oil, very thin. Ideally I would prefer ot be on a fixed service plan which uses either 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil. This may help reduce the rattle but will not cure the problem as the problem is that oil pressure tensioners loose oil pressure when left standing.

cam chain tensioner 100% quite a common problem on audi/vw engines

Yeah mine does it in the mroning too. Sounds rough for couple of seconds though!