S4 Timing chains

Ginge247

Reaction score
Finally got my car back. All chains, tensioners changed and now it's rattle free. Thanks to http://richard-martin.co.uk for carrying out the work.
0307707881d07e9c5aca52c29a9ce222.jpg
b8a604497122e5060f2cc99a26b71730.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roadrunner146 and THQuattro
Wow big bill. How many miles has the car done?
Approaching 91k m8. Had to make the decision to either sell it or spend the money on it. I love the car and I did a compression test on it before it went in and it's still strong so I decided to keep it. The rattle was getting worse so I couldn't risk it any longer. Just for comparison looker Audi quoted me 7k to fix approximately

You have probably done the right thing. Ignoring chain rattles on these V6 engines usually ends in tears and ends up costing 2-3 times the money.Audi Main dealer prices are laughable for this kind of job though.

Reactions: Roadrunner146 and Ginge247
Useful post @Ginge247 - and its always good to see photos of bits of the engine which are normally hidden.

I and the other owners of CREC-engined S4s and S5s are hoping that the revised chain design won't have the same problem. When did you first notice the symptoms?

Reactions: Ginge247
Useful post @Ginge247 - and its always good to see photos of bits of the engine which are normally hidden.

I and the other owners of CREC-engined S4s and S5s are hoping that the revised chain design won't have the same problem. When did you first notice the symptoms?
Thanks m8. I'll get some pics of all the old bits as well when I get a chance. I first noticed it at around 79k

Reactions: xpoweruk and Ginge247
I wonder if the S4 has same chain set up as the gen 2 3.0v6 (like my ccwa) ?
I was also experiencing this rattle on start up.
I changed the top guides and tensioners for both banks and it would appear the rattle has gone.

Theres were the wear marks:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-tdi-build-thread.248899/page-15#post-3322452

Done approx 2k now and no rattle.

Cheers
I know they share many timing parts with 3.2 fsi lump but not sure about the 3.0 gen 2. I would imagine they will be very similar.

Is it an engine out job to change the chains on these or can it be done in place?
Engine out or drop the box which is the way mine was done. You can do the the upper guides and tensioners without the engine or box removed so I've heard.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

I haven't really looked in to the timing chain rattle much - I presume it affects CGWC engines primarily? Anyone have any idea of how common it is? I.e. should it be something that is classed as a maintenance item or are you just unlucky if you get rattles?

I haven't really looked in to the timing chain rattle much - I presume it affects CGWC engines primarily? Anyone have any idea of how common it is? I.e. should it be something that is classed as a maintenance item or are you just unlucky if you get rattles?
They all do it, only the 2016 lump hasn't been confirmed yet. I would say live with it until it becomes more of an issue. Mine got to the point where it was doing it at every cold start and sometimes lasted nearly a minute on and off.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk