S4

I

imported_wkerat

Hi everyone, I am new on here, but was wondering if anyone can compare the s4 and the bmw m3 for me. I am car shopping and have narrowed it down to those two pending a test drive of both. What does everyone think? Also, does anyone know if their will be any changes for 2005 for the s4? thanks for your help.

scoTTy

I haven't driven the M3 as the brand really doesn't appeal to me.

I've have seen many discussions and most seem to come down to "do you see quattro as a benefit or a hindrance"?

M3 is slightly cheaper overall I belive (slightly less depreciation and lower fuel costs but no one buys either based just on costs.

It's a very personal choice so I'd so as you plan to and get out there and drive them.

I reckon you'll say :

S4 - noise, trim, grip, etc
M3 - drivers car, styling.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yak

scotty, noise, well.. M3's R6 does sound nice too, it's not like V6. Of course V8 has it's own sound too, but I don't know if one is better than the other.

But then of course, if we could also insert M3 CSL to the option list, oh boy.. (but that's just a track car).

- Yak

DocB

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:

I reckon you'll say :

S4 - noise, trim, grip, etc
M3 - drivers car, styling.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4 doors vs 2 doors can be significant

And then of course if you want the option of an estate...

anthor

Hi Wkerat

I am lucky enough to own both a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic and a 04 M3 Coupe. As has been said earlier in this thread it is not a choice between the cars, but a choice as to what you want out of the car itself. As you can gather I have both because I want what they each have to offer. Try this on for size.

S4
+
Grunty engine note
2 dogs in the back
Build quality and class
4 Wheel drive (need it in scotlands recent weather)
Easy to drive hard
-
Vague-ish steering - does not translate everything from the road(maybe a + on long journeys)
Non-body coloured side strips

M3
+
Engine note - sounds like a race car, really urgent
Absolute precision steering - point and shoot
Driving anywhere is a pleasure, foot on gas = constant grin
SMG II - Sequential Manual Gearbox thingy - techincally awesome
Awesome colours/interior trim available(mine is an individual colour combination - lurvely)
Nice touches (auto lock doors, single door unlock - as std)
-
Interior look more practical and not as classy as AUDI
I'm not driving it right now!!

Hope this helps, if you need anything else including, dare I say it, a great M3 forum then just let me know.

Have fun on the test drive(s)

Just Plain Old

[ QUOTE ]
rOcKy_Scot said:
Hi Wkerat

I am lucky enough to own both a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic and a 04 M3 Coupe. As has been said earlier in this thread it is not a choice between the cars, but a choice as to what you want out of the car itself. As you can gather I have both because I want what they each have to offer. Try this on for size.

S4
+
Grunty engine note
2 dogs in the back
Build quality and class
4 Wheel drive (need it in scotlands recent weather)
Easy to drive hard
-
Vague-ish steering - does not translate everything from the road(maybe a + on long journeys)
Non-body coloured side strips

M3
+
Engine note - sounds like a race car, really urgent
Absolute precision steering - point and shoot
Driving anywhere is a pleasure, foot on gas = constant grin
SMG II - Sequential Manual Gearbox thingy - techincally awesome
Awesome colours/interior trim available(mine is an individual colour combination - lurvely)
Nice touches (auto lock doors, single door unlock - as std)
-
Interior look more practical and not as classy as AUDI
I'm not driving it right now!!

Hope this helps, if you need anything else including, dare I say it, a great M3 forum then just let me know.

Have fun on the test drive(s)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a 'lucky' ******!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

MInd telling me the secret? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anthor

DINKY's !! (Double Income, No Kids Yet)

Although, had to avoid the subject of kids by buying her 2 dogs and a soft top so far! Don't know how much longer I can hold out....

eeeek

Just Plain Old

[ QUOTE ]
rOcKy_Scot said:
DINKY's !! (Double Income, No Kids Yet)

Although, had to avoid the subject of kids by buying her 2 dogs and a soft top so far! Don't know how much longer I can hold out....

eeeek

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hurry up and 'breed' before I die of envy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS

Are you having problems with the throttle on your S4?
See my thread "S4 Problem".
Cheers

anthor

Just to clarify it is a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic. No problems apart from a brief spell of 'amber engine maintenance light' illumination, which was fixed on the spot after a quick diagnostics.

No, no , no breeding!!!!

Just Plain Old

[ QUOTE ]
rOcKy_Scot said:
Just to clarify it is a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic. No problems apart from a brief spell of 'amber engine maintenance light' illumination, which was fixed on the spot after a quick diagnostics.

No, no , no breeding!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mines a 03 S4 Saloon, manual with AMD stage 3 MOD
The problem might not occur with the Tiptronic, I'm not sure. It's related to the Fly by wire throttle.