S4

Flippin heck, faster and more fuel efficient!! So how's the drive compared to the S4? Miss anything from the B6 shape or is everything about the B5 RS4 better? Is it noticeably smaller inside?

Suspension is firmer, but still not so firm that it's annoying or uncomfortable. Have done a 3.5hr stint in it and was fine.

You really notice the different power delivery. The S4 (B6) is a really heavy and lazy ******. The B5 RS4 is quicker and lighter on it's feet. The turbo's give you a good shove when spooled up to. In lower gears above 3k it literally wants to take off.

Considering ARB upgrades, after the wheel spacers to tighten things up again. Will leave the OEM suspension until funds allow and then maybe upgrade that too.

The interior does feel older, not massively or to it's detriment, as Audi's are very nice anyway. But it's little things like the light switch. On the B6 you have a dial/selector near the driver's door? On the B5 you have an extra steering wheel 'stalk' between the indicator stalk and the steering wheel. Just have to re-adjust is all.

Miss anything from the B6 shape? No, not really. Thought I might as it's 2yrs older than the S4 I had, but it's such a special car you tend to get wrapped up in it and not worry about anything else, TBH.

Is it better? Easy to say yes really. Wouldn't knock the S4 though. I'd happily have another S4, but think I'd now miss the turbos. If I had another S4 I would definitely get a Stage III (full exhaust swap + remap) to get up close to 400bhp. The V8 on the S4 makes it a lovely car, and very relaxing to drive, if not a bit heavy. Have learnt a bit more about exhaust mods recently so wouldn't automatically choose Milltek either, for those of you out there thinking about it.

Having only had a few weeks, I can honestly say it is a brilliant car to drive. Performs, and handles brilliantly, and has the looks too. It is also extremely exclusive with so few of them around.

You shouldn't really be put off by mpg figures either. It's alot better than an S4 o/a. I LOVE IT !!

:eiertritt:

Thats what its all about hey Stoaksey - Turbo's!
Only reason why I havnt had a B6 S4 is because it has no turbo(s) - such a shame aswell.
Has the Mrs had a go yet??......or should I say have you let the mrs have a go,ha!
Like you say, comparing the B5 interior to the B6 isnt a massive difference and once you stick your foot down, its all about checking the rear view to see the dudes car shrink who was up your crease :arco:...

If I could afford it, Id be having myself a Rs4 aswell as my Blue Arrow but guess ill have to thrive off your excitement for now.:icon_thumright:

Thats what its all about hey Stoaksey - Turbo's!
Only reason why I havnt had a B6 S4 is because it has no turbo(s) - such a shame aswell.
Has the Mrs had a go yet??......or should I say have you let the mrs have a go,ha!
Like you say, comparing the B5 interior to the B6 isnt a massive difference and once you stick your foot down, its all about checking the rear view to see the dudes car shrink who was up your crease :arco:...

If I could afford it, Id be having myself a Rs4 aswell as my Blue Arrow but guess ill have to thrive off your excitement for now.:icon_thumright:

She's been too scared to drive it! That was after I took her for a spin in it!! :slap:

She was fine in the S4 though? She'll have a go at some point, but once it's been fettled, maybe not!

:notme:

Suspension is firmer, but still not so firm that it's annoying or uncomfortable. Have done a 3.5hr stint in it and was fine.

You really notice the different power delivery. The S4 (B6) is a really heavy and lazy ******. The B5 RS4 is quicker and lighter on it's feet. The turbo's give you a good shove when spooled up to. In lower gears above 3k it literally wants to take off.

Considering ARB upgrades, after the wheel spacers to tighten things up again. Will leave the OEM suspension until funds allow and then maybe upgrade that too.

The interior does feel older, not massively or to it's detriment, as Audi's are very nice anyway. But it's little things like the light switch. On the B6 you have a dial/selector near the driver's door? On the B5 you have an extra steering wheel 'stalk' between the indicator stalk and the steering wheel. Just have to re-adjust is all.

Miss anything from the B6 shape? No, not really. Thought I might as it's 2yrs older than the S4 I had, but it's such a special car you tend to get wrapped up in it and not worry about anything else, TBH.

Is it better? Easy to say yes really. Wouldn't knock the S4 though. I'd happily have another S4, but think I'd now miss the turbos. If I had another S4 I would definitely get a Stage III (full exhaust swap + remap) to get up close to 400bhp. The V8 on the S4 makes it a lovely car, and very relaxing to drive, if not a bit heavy. Have learnt a bit more about exhaust mods recently so wouldn't automatically choose Milltek either, for those of you out there thinking about it.

Having only had a few weeks, I can honestly say it is a brilliant car to drive. Performs, and handles brilliantly, and has the looks too. It is also extremely exclusive with so few of them around.

You shouldn't really be put off by mpg figures either. It's alot better than an S4 o/a. I LOVE IT !!

:eiertritt:

At the end of the day, they are both silly fast and I'd love either of them :sm4:. As Juss says tho, probably all about the turbos :cool:. That must be what those bucket seats are for then, to catch you like a giant baseball glove when both your turbos kick in :), and there was me thinking they where just to keep you tight during cornering fun.

So if the RS4 is instant power due to the turbos, is the B6 S4 a bit slow off the mark, due to it's weight and N/A engine or do you still have a load of grunt low down too?

So if the RS4 is instant power due to the turbos, is the B6 S4 a bit slow off the mark, due to it's weight and N/A engine or do you still have a load of grunt low down too?

For getting off the mark it's the opposite! A N/A engine is straight on it where as a turbo may have to spool up. It obviously depends how you're revving the engine.

I guarantee you will not find the S4 slow off the mark. Mine was stage 3 so just went but my mates is stock and that also just launches. 0-30 in first is dispatched in next to no time.

As I said mine was stage 3 but this video of it will give you a rough idea.

(if the embedded video doesn't work then just click the link on it)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...800&ei=Ic1_SqGDHdbB-Abw1LSABw&q=scotty(UK)+s4http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...800&ei=Ic1_SqGDHdbB-Abw1LSABw&q=scotty(UK)+s4

On a recent 800 mile round trip from manchester-inverness-manchester I averaged 23mpg.

My normal average over 40 odd hours was at 19.9 mpg (2nd screen on the DIS before resetting for inverness)

The worst I've ever achieved is a full tank gone in 65 miles!...around the 5 mpg mark if my sums are correct!

fek me, im only getting 27mpg out of my S4 B5(2.7 biturbo) and thats running at 60mph but running around 300bhp and about 350lb's ft it certainly worth it when them turbos kick in and i see my needle drop lol

wot sort of speed your running when your gettin 23mpg?

For getting off the mark it's the opposite! A N/A engine is straight on it where as a turbo may have to spool up. It obviously depends how you're revving the engine.

I guarantee you will not find the S4 slow off the mark. Mine was stage 3 so just went but my mates is stock and that also just launches. 0-30 in first is dispatched in next to no time.

As I said mine was stage 3 but this video of it will give you a rough idea.

(if the embedded video doesn't work then just click the link on it)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3157496792692892800&ei=Ic1_SqGDHdbB-Abw1LSABw&q=scotty(UK)+s4

Cheers for that Scotty, wasn't sure if the V8 weight would be an issue, but should have realised with that amount of horses there wouldn't be a problem.

F*** that looks seriously fast. I've seen your Alps vids - Brave is all I can say :yes:

So how are you finding the 2.0T after the S4 beast then? And has the lack of quattro been sorted out yet?

Not brave as I had the wife (the co-pilot voice!) and a boot full of luggage! It was fun though. Just shows how safe and predictable a quattro car is :)

The new 2.0T is fast enough for my use now. With two kids I'm rarely able to give it full beans so a new S4 would have simply been wasted. For kicks instead of going out for a quick drive, I now go out on my motorbike. It easily satifies that need for that rush of speed.

I'm still in a FWD car but that's because I convinced my dealer to let me stay in it until I get the new car on a 59 plate. It should be built and probably being shipped at the moment.

I'll therefore pick it up as close to 1st Sept as I can.

p.s. Still (and probably always will) missing the sound of a V8. I'm not missing the fuel comsuption!

You sure got a good one there Scotty, mine would have neen going mental at the very beginning. Not surprised you miss the sound og the V8. What's the fuel consumption like in the 2.0T out of interest?

Good move with the dealer though, still can't believe they forgot the quattro part, lol.