S5 2019 onwards - Turbo Diesel

Benji315

Reaction score
Went into branch Saturday to try and find out what the deal is with S5's at the moment as they had stopped building them / not on Audi's site and was told they'll be ready to order in the summer again but no longer Petrol versions produced and will supposedly have the 3.0 Turbo Diesel engine that the new SQ5 will have.

Anyone heard similar?

Reactions: NevMan
Ah ok, don't really tend to go into the S4 forums :)

Interesting though, ultimately I just wish to upgrade to an S5 from my A5 currently, would a Diesel one be as bad, be interested to see the pro's and con's for each.

Went into branch Saturday to try and find out what the deal is with S5's at the moment as they had stopped building them / not on Audi's site and was told they'll be ready to order in the summer again but no longer Petrol versions produced and will supposedly have the 3.0 Turbo Diesel engine that the new SQ5 will have.

Anyone heard similar?
Said before and will say again...…. NO, S5's will not be diesel. This is from the 'horses mouth' at Audi UK HQ.

Interesting, either way they don't have any to order and couldn't confirm a date, wonder when it'll reappear

They had 1 in the group but it had no virtual cockpit so I declined.

Said before and will say again...…. NO, S5's will not be diesel. This is from the 'horses mouth' at Audi UK HQ.

Reading the post on the S4 forum seems to disagree with that though, from lots of different sources too. Only time will tell I guess!

However all the posts that state the s4/5 will be a oil burner say they got that from the dealership and this one is coming from Audi UK, although nothing is provided in writing to verify this.
I am extremely sceptical it will be diesel; 1) Bcause there has been nothing about this in the motoring press, 2) No cars have been seen testing, 3) Not one german forum has stated as such.

@cuke2u Didnt you or another user also post some web links from fairly reputable writers about it?

I hope it doesn't happen, we specifically got the s5 as it was petrol

I think I posted about the sq5, not the s4/5, and thought that was a logical engine for a large car where Audi might struggle with emissions and the wltp tests.

@cuke2u Ah, in which case apologies mate. Let hope it is just a rumour as I love the S5 after coming from a Diesel A7 and a Diesel LR Disco Sport.

No worries, it is a plot that is ever thickening and not particularly putting Audi into a good place.
However the reason why they have stopped building may well be more to do with the interior update that is coming this year where we will see A6's style of touchscreens..

Hmm I work in the industry and was lead to believe it was more to do with WLTP rather than updating the cockpit as the A5 range would get that too, if anything we're due a black edition & vorsprung S5 first, I reckon that's the hold up.

I think they may go down that route when this B9 has it's first facelift.

I guess it depends on the horse, as I’ve heard from at least 9 sources that the entire range will be going diesel from S4 and above - and a few of these sources have come direct from meetings with .... Audi UK.

I guess it depends on the horse, as I’ve heard from at least 9 sources that the entire range will be going diesel from S4 and above - and a few of these sources have come direct from meetings with .... Audi UK.

Audi UK are pretty clueless as well to be honest. I’ll believe it when I see them on the Configurator.

What’s adding to the confusion is that dealers are taking deposits for cars that they can’t even order.

Reactions: NevMan and V6 Quatt
There was a post on another thread where someone posted an official spreadsheet which showed all the models and engines. The S Cars will
not be Diesel According to it .

Anyway even if Audi Does Go Diesel down the S car route they will lose a large majority of their customer base I guarantee that. Diesel and sport cars don’t work well together .

A friend from Germany just placed an order for an A6 and an A8 and his dealer told him that too. That new S-Series will be Diesel due to the difficulties of emissions with petrol sports cars. Don't know which dealer.

lol so that dealer was talking BS then. You say announced . That official now ?

It does say that details of UK spec, equipment and pricing are yet to be revealed, while more details will be announced at the models’ unveiling next month.
So we have to wait for the Geneva Motor Show...

It’s in this months EVO that the SQ5 is definitely moving back to diesel in the UK but will remain a petrol car for non euro markets.

Still to see any official announcement on S4/S5. I’ll be flabbergasted if they’re diesels but really starting to look that way with the number dealers that are singing the same tune now.

It’s in this months EVO that the SQ5 is definitely moving back to diesel in the UK but will remain a petrol car for non euro markets.

Still to see any official announcement on S4/S5. I’ll be flabbergasted if they’re diesels but really starting to look that way with the number dealers that are singing the same tune now.
Yh might actually be maybe Audi Are turning S models into Diesel to make the Rs more exclusive ? Eg These strict emission laws are getting tough so maybe Audi might sacrifice S petrol cars that are bringing up their fleet co2 emissions and Focus on making amazing Rs cars . That’s just one thought.

Yh might actually be maybe Audi Are turning S models into Diesel to make the Rs more exclusive ? Eg These strict emission laws are getting tough so maybe Audi might sacrifice S petrol cars that are bringing up their fleet co2 emissions and Focus on making amazing Rs cars . That’s just one thought.

As an RS owner....hopefully!

Rubbish....

Audi has today officially announced the (first) new diesel S models - the S7 and S6, as previously discussed.

Maybe I was right after all :wtf:

Its all in my post from last night:

And the press release is linked in Stories.

That's actually where I first saw it, I follow you on IG :)

Looking at the Audi.de website it’s a 350ps V6-Tdi. For the s6 Avant it’s stating a 0-100km time of 5s just 0.3s faster than the 55 TFSi?!

Actual figures likely to be faster, as Audi often conservative with 0-62 / 0-100 times

I note the comment: In overseas markets – to reflect local customer preferences and driving profiles – the S6 and S7 will be available as the 2.9 TFSI with an output of 450 hp and 600 Nm (442.5 lb-ft) of torque. Like the TDI models, the V6 gasoline version will be equipped with both the EPC and the 48-volt MHEV system, for more performance and efficiency.

So the EPC should as good as eliminate turbo lag. I wonder if they plan to do that for the next version of RS4 and RS5?

I note the comment: In overseas markets – to reflect local customer preferences and driving profiles – the S6 and S7 will be available as the 2.9 TFSI with an output of 450 hp and 600 Nm (442.5 lb-ft) of torque. Like the TDI models, the V6 gasoline version will be equipped with both the EPC and the 48-volt MHEV system, for more performance and efficiency.

So the EPC should as good as eliminate turbo lag. I wonder if they plan to do that for the next version of RS4 and RS5?
I would have thought so @Dippy. Maybe not FL ones, but would have thought they will start adding this to RS models...guess we will find out in the coming weeks and months when they start to announce what is coming later this year

To which are you referring too that I was wrong about? I don't think we have heard about the engine options for the S4 & 5 yet, only the S6 & 7. It may well be the case for the S4 & 5 as well, however we will wait and see. However my statements about Audi not going down the diesel were correct at the time based upon what we knew.

If Audi do go down this route it will be the biggest mistake they have ever made and I think all AS members should collectively write to Audi to bang them to rights about this..